Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 40,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
Crime and gangs are not as big an issue in GJ as other smaller cities in CO. For example, they have not seen the gang increase that Greeley, Longmont, and Pueblo have seen and always had. However, im sure GJ has some gang problmes and criminal issues. Its located in one the six main desert areas in CO, and i love the terrain of the GJ, Fruita, Palisade, Delta, etc. areas. It seems as if GJ (population about 60,000?) will have a year with a couple murders, a year with one murder, a year with no murders, and than all of a sudden an increase in the next year with like 5 or 6 murders. So crime generally spikes in certain years and it really just depends. However, GJ does not have a complete gang neighborhood like the other smaller colorado cities of Greeley, Pueblo, and even Longmont now days.

My opinion: GJ is beautiful and is in the desert, and has a great landscape with great natural wonders around it. Does have some crime problems from year to year, and some gang issues, though not as bad as the other smaller CO cities that i mentioned.
Thanks. Are the murders usually involving gang fights or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
While Grand Junction is certainly not everyones cup of tea, all things considerd it's a pretty nice place to live, especially for an outdoors oriented person who enjoys biking and hiking in a desert environment with plenty of sunshine. Additionally the downtown area is a charming environment with some OK restaurants and shops. It could certainly be improved upon, and perhaps those improvements will come in the future. It is also a great jumping off point for vacation oriented places like Ouray, Moab, Aspen, Telluride, Glenwood Springs, & Crested Butte, all within a few hours of easy driving time on mostly uncrowded roads. You could certainly do much worse than choosing Grand Junction as your new home.
Thanks I was just worried about the high crime rate compared to cities of its size like while checking online statistics it says that GJ is only %4 safer than cities in the US idk whether those statistics are true it just seems worrying to live in a small city that has so much violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Here's a link to an article about crime in todays GJSentinel.

Valley crime dips last year, report shows

Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 40,096 times
Thanks for the link. But surely any homicides happening there is usually caused by people that know one another...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 PM

14 posts, read 42,190 times
Default Very Friendly

Allot of the crime in Junction is due to the methamphetamine. Mostly property crime, violent crime is pretty low. I wouldn't live in Clifton and es I have found people from Grand Junction Very Friendly.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 26,087 times
Stay out of Clifton. Bad news. Meth. Fruita is a sleeper of a great little town; GJ downtown/south of Main Street has a lot of homeless transients. GJ Sherwood Park/ St Marys hospital area is nice. General housing stock in GJ is on the old, bungalow, small lot size, of WWII era vintage. GJ north of North Ave has "better" neighborhoods. Redlands is nice, not so crowded as GJ. People also like Palisade although it's way over on one end of the valley and you go through Clifton to get to it. Orchard Mesa has a lot of space with a mix of horse property, old subdivisions, new subdivisions. We don't have traffic jams in this Valley.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
There are parts of Clifton that are perfectly fine. I have many friends that own homes over there, and think there is nothing wrong with their particular streets & areas they live in. Choose wisely.

Fruita is nice, but it's pretty far from GJ.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
This thread is a few months old, but I'll chime in, having lived in GJ for 1.5 years. Grand Junction and surrounding areas are safe. There's a few places that are kind of shabby and economically depressed, most of the crime in these places would be property theft. There's very little in terms of violent crime. In fact the time I lived there, I didn't hear about or see any violent crime at all. I consider Grand Junction to be very safe. Folks who say otherwise are fear-mongers or don't have experience living in a diverse set of environments.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Ditto to the post above. I've lived all over the US and several locations in Canada in population centers of various sizes. Grand Junction is as safe as, or safer than, any of those places. Anyone who considers Grand Junction to be a crime infested area has lived a pretty sheltered life.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM

30 posts, read 68,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This thread is a few months old, but I'll chime in, having lived in GJ for 1.5 years. Grand Junction and surrounding areas are safe. There's a few places that are kind of shabby and economically depressed, most of the crime in these places would be property theft. There's very little in terms of violent crime. In fact the time I lived there, I didn't hear about or see any violent crime at all. I consider Grand Junction to be very safe. Folks who say otherwise are fear-mongers or don't have experience living in a diverse set of environments.

Couldn't have said it better! I have immediate family that lives there so I visit frequently and for months at a time. Although there are parts that may not look very pretty, I would still feel relatively safe walking around most anywhere. There are tons of parks, green areas, lots to do and the cutest downtown area. It has grown quite a bit over the years but still maintains a small town charm. It's definitely a cool little city and I enjoy my time there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado