U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 32,656 times

Advertisements

I might move there if i got the job but just wondering is it safe there and are people friendly? Answers would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Compared to most larger cities, Grand Junction is relatively safe. Compared to other cities of similar size, its crime statistics are pretty middling. A crime-free utopia it is not.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Agreed. Grand Junction is no better or no worse than other cities its size. It has its issues like everyone else.

Lately the issue is gang graffiti. It seems to go in streaks. Just a few nights ago a group went around one neighborhood (north central area of GJ) and tagged homes and cars as well as stop signs. Even tagged sidewalks. They broke into a couple garages and stole tools and according to News 11 some firearms as well. Before this incident I don't recall any other graffiti incidents since a couple punks broke into the Fruita community center in January and caused damage there.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-20-2011 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed. Grand Junction is no better or no worse than other cities its size. It has its issues like everyone else.

Lately the issue is gang graffiti. It seems to go in streaks. Just a few nights ago a group went around one neighborhood (north central area of GJ) and tagged homes and cars as well as stop signs. Even tagged sidewalks. They broke into a couple garages and stole tools and according to News 11 some firearms as well. Before this incident I don't recall any other graffiti incidents since a couple punks broke into the Fruita community center in January and caused damage there.
Thanks for the reply it seems like Gangs are everywhere though I know anywhere I go it won't be %100 safe but what areas are the safest in GJ and is violent crime rate in the city low?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,679,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramyyy View Post
I might move there if i got the job but just wondering is it safe there and are people friendly? Answers would be appreciated

Yes, and yes. I've been all over the US, and IMHO, this place has the best balance of amenities, safety, and friendly people.

I hope you are somewhat conservative as it pretty much that's what this valley is. If you are liberal, you might seem out of place.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times
I have family and friends who've lived in Junction for years and they tell me it's a big city with a small town feel. Seems everyone knows everyone else. Crime is a bit higher than the national average, I imagine due to unemployment and drug use. The hobos near the train station in the park is what annoys me when I go there.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Colorado.html

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 04:44 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
The parts of Grand Junction I've always liked is the area surrounding Lincoln Park (mostly south and west of there), the housing west and south of St. Mary's Hospital (7th and Patterson), the Redlands area (nice area but pricey) and a variety of subdivisions on Patterson (which eventually turns into F Rd.). There's other good areas, hopefully more people will weigh in here. Not sure if you're looking to rent or buy.

In the search forum box at the top of this page type in "Grand Junction". There has been quite a few other threads regarding the area in the last couple years. A lot of useful info there.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-29-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for answers I tried searching more about it and apparently it isn't that interesting and crime rate is a bit high for its population.. I compared GJ to Boise City and it had higher crime rate than a bigger city which is shocking. Thanks for the help once again

Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM

198 posts, read 1,043,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramyyy View Post
Thanks for answers I tried searching more about it and apparently it isn't that interesting and crime rate is a bit high for its population.. I compared GJ to Boise City and it had higher crime rate than a bigger city which is shocking. Thanks for the help once again
Crime and gangs are not as big an issue in GJ as other smaller cities in CO. For example, they have not seen the gang increase that Greeley, Longmont, and Pueblo have seen and always had. However, im sure GJ has some gang problmes and criminal issues. Its located in one the six main desert areas in CO, and i love the terrain of the GJ, Fruita, Palisade, Delta, etc. areas. It seems as if GJ (population about 60,000?) will have a year with a couple murders, a year with one murder, a year with no murders, and than all of a sudden an increase in the next year with like 5 or 6 murders. So crime generally spikes in certain years and it really just depends. However, GJ does not have a complete gang neighborhood like the other smaller colorado cities of Greeley, Pueblo, and even Longmont now days.

My opinion: GJ is beautiful and is in the desert, and has a great landscape with great natural wonders around it. Does have some crime problems from year to year, and some gang issues, though not as bad as the other smaller CO cities that i mentioned.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
While Grand Junction is certainly not everyones cup of tea, all things considerd it's a pretty nice place to live, especially for an outdoors oriented person who enjoys biking and hiking in a desert environment with plenty of sunshine. Additionally the downtown area is a charming environment with some OK restaurants and shops. It could certainly be improved upon, and perhaps those improvements will come in the future. It is also a great jumping off point for vacation oriented places like Ouray, Moab, Aspen, Telluride, Glenwood Springs, & Crested Butte, all within a few hours of easy driving time on mostly uncrowded roads. You could certainly do much worse than choosing Grand Junction as your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado