U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM

4,253 posts, read 3,949,899 times

Advertisements

Anyone know much about Gateway? I notice the big resort there has a number of seasonal jobs that I might apply for. I know its a pretty area, but does it get real hot in the summer? Also, how far is it from Montrose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM

2,767 posts, read 3,453,112 times
The designs are to be a big resort, but right now I'd call it a resort rather than a big resort, at least in terms of visitors.

July highs average low 90s but most days are mid to high 90s with an occasional cooler stretch. They average about 60 days over 90 and over 100 is possible- about 10 such days last summer. Cools off to about 70 at night in July, more like 60 in other summer months.

It is about 100 road miles from Gateway to Montrose.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-20-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM

198 posts, read 1,043,296 times
Gateway is one of the six desert areas in CO. its on the desert area in colorado surrounding the uncompahgre national forest and gateway has many red rocks and such. Its usually pretty hot in the summer, with temps ranging from the low 90's to the high 90's usually, but 100 is not uncommon. Its a cold desert area though, so the winters are significantly cooler.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
Dear Colorado Rambler,

I work in the HR Department at Gateway Canyons. I also live in the very nice and affordable employee housing provided by the resort. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the seasonal jobs, which run from April through November. You can contact me by sending me a direct post or by calling toll free 866-671-4733 and asking for HR.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,569,857 times
Been there many times for vacations. Every time I've been there it has been pretty quiet....not a lot of folks spending time there, but we do see a lot of day-trippers passing through to visit the car museum. The resort is just a big tax writeoff for John Hendricks (Discovery Channel founder/president).

Gets real hot during the summer months...it is the desert after all. It's a late Spring/early Fall destination for me.

As far as jobs? I guess you could get one - they continue to throw money at building out the resort like it's going out of style. Spectacular setting, for sure...and the grounds are beautiful. Check out the employee housing they offer...commuting from Montrose or Junction would be rough.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Been there many times for vacations. Every time I've been there it has been pretty quiet....not a lot of folks spending time there, but we do see a lot of day-trippers passing through to visit the car museum. The resort is just a big tax writeoff for John Hendricks (Discovery Channel founder/president).

Gets real hot during the summer months...it is the desert after all. It's a late Spring/early Fall destination for me.

As far as jobs? I guess you could get one - they continue to throw money at building out the resort like it's going out of style. Spectacular setting, for sure...and the grounds are beautiful. Check out the employee housing they offer...commuting from Montrose or Junction would be rough.
Gateway is on one of our favorite bicycle tour routes. Being 50 miles from GJ it's a good stopping spot. We usually have a meal at the restaurant and then go camp out on BLM lands. Never stayed in the motels.

Last spring we went through there on our bikes and stopped to eat. We were talking to the waitress (she was from Chile, and it was just after the big quake there) and asked about the resort because it seemed deserted there that day. She said most of the rooms were booked for that night. Maybe everyone was out hiking. She said the resort was only losing $2M/year. Hendricks probably finds that kind of money under his couch cushions every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado