U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 12,318 times

Advertisements

I'm a single male with an awesome dog. Late 30s working in the IT field for about 7 years. I am planning on moving from Baltimore to somewhere in Colorado in the next year or so. I've just started looking and have only focused on Ft Collins area or Colorado Springs. I've heard good things about both. Can someone give me some suggestions? Right now I am leaning more towards Colorado Springs because of the scenery and job opportunities. Also, if I were to move to C Springs, do you have any suggestions of what area to rent an apartment?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM

150 posts, read 331,934 times
I would pick the Springs for the reasons you mentioned as well as being a bit more southerly. Don't know anything about apartments though. Personally like the Broadmoor area for housing. It's well established with character.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Tom, native Baltimoron here....

Tell us more about your lifestyle: are you a hiker, cycler, runner, skier, etc.

COLO SPGS is heavy duty military, religious and conservative.
FC is a college town, not military, less religious, less conservative.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 12,318 times
Thanks for the replies. I do like outdoor activities. Hiking, running, dog walks, etc. I'm looking at Broomfield right now. It seems split between Boulder and Denver which leaves more job opportunities.

Mike, how long have you lived in CO? Have you missed Bmore at all?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM

307 posts, read 807,163 times
Tom: I've lived in both Colorado Springs and currently Ft. Collins. The job market in Larimer county (Ft. Collins) is very, very low from what everyone has said since I've been here which was since the past Summer. I have a wonderful dog too and this area is awesome for outdoor dog activities. Tons of parks, trails, access to mountains and lakes etc. A very dog-friendly community, which I found The Springs to be less of. Both cities have beautiful scenery. Ft. Collins has more farmland/ranchland scenery along with Mountains in the distance. The Mountains in the Springs are a tad closer and the area has more of a Mountainous scenery. Both areas are very pretty though in their own ways.

Mike is correct...The Fort is more Liberal and college oriented. However, being from Southern Missouri (the Bible Belt) in recent years I did not find the Springs to be AS Christian/Conservative of a city as many make it out to be. All these things are relative. If you are church goer, you would find more churches in the Springs than in Ft. Collins probably.

Both places have a decent night-life, if you're into that. Also, I would say that Fort Collins has more traffic and congestion than the Springs. Tons of people here trying to move in, and was recently told by an expert that housing availability is 1%. Fort Collins keeps getting mentioned as one of the best small towns to live in by multiple sources...so it was very hard to get an apartment here, took a couple months. Have heard that people come and camp in the mountains while home-shopping so as to save motel-money which can get very expensive when it takes weeks sometimes to secure a place. However, there are more openings coming up due to College letting out soon, good time to come.

In the Springs for an area to rent, I would go with Northwest area or Northeast. Depending on what your budget is. South areas don't seem to be as desirable from what I gathered during my stay there. My favorite are would be Old Colorado City district, just 'cause I like small towns and old fashioned areas. Also the Victorian Downtown area is nice...not alot of apartments in either of these areas though.

Well, good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions. Hoped I could help.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommobran View Post
Thanks for the replies. I do like outdoor activities. Hiking, running, dog walks, etc. I'm looking at Broomfield right now. It seems split between Boulder and Denver which leaves more job opportunities.

Mike, how long have you lived in CO? Have you missed Bmore at all?
Been here 5.5 years. I miss the crabcakes at Snyder's Willow Grove and Faidley's, and fishing on the bay.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,127,746 times
Boulder has a very high cost of living, especially if you ever want to own a home/condo. Problem with a college town, such as Boulder or Ft Collins, you will be competing somewhat with college kids coming out of school willing to work for a lot less money. So it can be competitive.

Colorado Springs is more of a family town. Some single people don't like it, since everyone is married with kids, or so it seems. Most single people like the Denver scene better (Cherry Creek, Washington Park, Downtown).

High paying IT jobs can be had in the Springs if you have a Secret Clearance.

A lot of the private sector IT jobs have left the area (HP, Intel) but some can be found.

I saw Compassion (compassion.com) has several IT director positions posted on their website, but this is a non profit Christian org, so it's not for everyone. Their campus is huge and very nice, so they must be getting money from somewhere.

Xiotech.com just moved their HQ to Colorado Springs, so check them out. They have some IT related jobs posted on their website.

The other large companies with an office in Colorado Springs worth checking out are Progressive, TMobile, T Rowe Price, Memorial Hospital, Penrose Hospital, USAA Insurance, Lockheed, Atmel, and the Broadmoor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or