U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 12,313 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Colorado in the next year or so and I wanted advice on where to move. I've just started looking and have only focused on Ft Collins area or Colorado Springs. I've heard good things about both. Can someone give me some suggestions? Right now I am leaning more towards Colorado Springs because of the scenery and job opportunities. Also, if I were to move to C Springs, do you have any suggestions where rent an apartment?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 PM

198 posts, read 1,043,537 times
I would say Fort Collins is a good choice if you want the college town feel, and if you like the scenery in Northern Colorado more than southern colorado. However, if you want the statistically larger city and bigger city, but more of a mid size city, than go with the springs. Its a big city now (about 650,000 metro area) but definitely not as large as Denver, which a lot of people like.

if you choose C-Springs, i would look on the northern part of the city. The south side, southeast side, and lower east side of the springs tend to have the most problems with low income, crime, gangs, any issues related to that. The other parts of the Colorado Springs are absolutely great! The best part of the city IMO is the southwest part of the city, on the way up to the cheyenne mountain zoo, but its suppose to be unbelievably exspensive in that area of the city. So, i would choose either the northern part of the city limits of c-springs or the northern suburbs of Monument or Woodmoor, etc.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM

Appreciate the insight. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 AM

Any thoughts on Boulder? I work in the IT industry so what areas are best for my line of work? My only worry about Ft Collins is young college kids taking jobs for less money right out of school. Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

198 posts, read 1,043,537 times
Boulder is another college town with the University of Colorado there and it has a poulation of about 95,000-100,000 roughly. I would say Boulder is becoming a lot more exspensive than other areas in CO, although colorado itself is becoming more and more exspensive as of late. That must be the results because it seems as if so many Californians and other Americans want to move here. Boulder reminds me of Berkeley, CA and it even has a sort of nickname "THE BERKELEY OF THE ROCKIES/MOUNTAIN WEST". I would probably say C-Springs is going to have the most of any type of job, seeing as its a big city. The only city with more job openings than the springs is going to be Denver, but i did not get the impression that you want a city of over 3 million in its metro, so i would most definitely recommend the springs. SoCo (southern colorado) is more beautiful than NorCO (northern colorado) in my opinion anyway.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
With your IT skills, in CS you might be able to find a military related position, but having a security clearance is almost a requirement for many of the IT jobs in CS. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM

319 posts, read 620,011 times
Keep in mind that the cultures of Boulder and of Colorado Springs are very different. Boulder is progressive, liberal, hip, trendy; C Springs leans more toward the conservative, Christian/religious, and has a strong military presence. Both places have plenty to offer, depending on what flavor suits your tastes.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. Your information is really helpful in making decisions on where to go.

I may steer away from Colorado Springs given the previous posts. Broomfield area looks nice and seems to be split between Denver and Boulder. How is the public transportation overall if I needed to travel from a smaller town to the city? Any suggestions for smaller towns that are close to Denver or Boulder with easily accessible public transportation?

I plan on taking a vacation in Colorado this summer/fall. I am going to rent a car and check out perspective areas I would like to like and work. Having about 5 days in Colorado, what route would you take to get the most out of the trip and what would be the best month to go?

As always, thanks for the replies.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 6,164 times
They're all good months. But mostly: pay particular attention about what people have to say about the various communities. The difference between Boulder and many others is night and day. Each has it's own personality, and choosing the wrong place to settle down, can very quickly ruin your experience around here. SO do not overlook what people have to say, and understand that Coloradans are notorious for being understated as well. We do not wish to offend anyone it seems, even to the point of not hurting the feelings of the peeps down at the State Prison in orange jumpsuits. It's a very, very weird society out here. And if you have kids, dig down deep into the school situation. DEEP I tell you. If no kids, and in IT lines of work, I'd look into Denver, downtown, very first. Spend a little time looking around, as it is diverse and spectacular; then measure your extremes: look into Boulder of course. Besides, laughter is the best medicine. If you take the place too seriously you'll be looking out shopping for a Subaru in a new pair of Crocs. It all depends on your tastes. Each Burb has its own flavor. Others to check into are Golden and Littleton. Some people with multiple incomes actually even enjoy the three car garages and SUVs to be had in Broomfield and Louisville. But do visit Superior on the way out to Boulder. Neat place, but Google it before you intend to buy. Ft Collins deserves a look as well. When you get beyond South Denver, I know very little I'm afraid. Any questions - feel free to ask. I won't be offended. And of the communities I mentioned, other than Ft. Collins, I've lived in every one at one point or another.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 AM

726 posts, read 1,813,113 times
We chose Broomfield for it's location. It is approximately half way between both. It takes 20-25 minutes to get to downtown denver and 15-20 to downtown Boulder. We live in what I guess is Northeastern Broomfield near I25. It is a bit quieter on this side. Over by Flatirons it is very busy. I live near a large park n ride and take advantage of it since my employer supplies us with an ecopass. In the morning it is approx a 25 minute bus ride to downtown Denver. In the evening about 35 min. If i were to drive it would be about the same as the bus takes the hov lane. There are other towns in between Denver and Boulder. Louisville/Lafayette/Superior are all much more expensive due to being closer to Boulder. Westminster/Broomfield/Arvada are more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or