U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite National Monument, Park, or just tourist destination of natural beauty in Colo
Arapaho National Recreation Area 0 0%
Mesa Verde National Park 0 0%
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument 2 7.69%
Dinosaur National Monument 0 0%
Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument 0 0%
Rocky Mountain National Park 10 38.46%
Royal Gorge 1 3.85%
Grand Mesa 1 3.85%
Garden of the Gods 1 3.85%
Blue Mesa Reservoir 0 0%
Glenwood Canyon 2 7.69%
Canyon of the Ancients National Monument 0 0%
Yucca House National Monument 0 0%
Bents Old Fort National Historic Site 0 0%
Colorado National Monument 3 11.54%
Great Sand Dunes National Park 1 3.85%
Hovenweep National Monument 0 0%
Pikes Peak 4 15.38%
Pawnee Buttes/Pawnee Grassland 0 0%
Comanche Grassland 1 3.85%
Black Ridge Canyon Wilderness Area 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM

198 posts, read 1,043,537 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite national monument, national park, or just naturally beautiful tourist destination in CO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
I voted for the Grand Mesa, but it was actually a toss-up between the Grand Mesa and the Colorado National Monument ( soon to become a National Park ??? ) which are both almost in my back yard. I voted for the Grand Meas becasue it offers more diverasity than the CO Monument. Thus far, I've camped, hiked, and snow-shoed on The Mesa. My wife has also done som X-Country skiing up there, and I will probably do so too...someday. Also have several friends who have little homesteads near the town of Mesa, and we often have campfires, cook-outs, saunas, hot tub soaks, etc. It's alwasy a fun adventure going up to The Mesa.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
My favorite places aren't listed in the poll. For me, I love the area around Ridgway, Ouray and Telluride. I could spend weeks there without ever doing the same thing twice. Coming in a close second is Buena Vista/Salida area. My parents have a cabin in that area and it's always nice to spend a little vacation time at their mountain retreat! Neither of these areas have National Park status, but that's okay with me. I can bring my dogs on a hike with me!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink Another realm

I voted for Rocky Mountain National Park.

Also finding it interesting that another area I might have voted for, Hovenweep National Monument, received a fair number of votes as well. Would note that Hovenweep and Canyon of the Ancients National Monument are actually one in the same. The better part of this interesting area of the Anasazi lies within Colorado, although the formal entrance in Utah, and termed Hovenweep.

Obviously a number of good choices on this poll, and some places I might have added, but if loving mountains it would be hard to surpass Rocky Mountain National Park. My biggest complaints would be its proximity to the front range, thus 3 million visitors a year, primarily in the summer. I also take a very dim view of its current superintendent, a Mr. Vaughn Baker, who is guilty of cutting down any number of perfectly healthy trees, erecting many miles of tall fences in the meadows of this wilderness Park, when he should be championing the re-introduction of wolves, and other insults to nature.

But be that as it may, it is still a marvelous place. Unfortunately under assault due mankind, with dying forests and increasingly polluted rivers and lakes. But still beautiful. The high mountains are magnificent, but there is true charm in some of the more hidden places. One can easily find the most splendid assortment of lichen and mosses across the most interesting rocks, and this in a land gorgeous at every turn. The true epicenter and source of so many fine rivers from the deep snows of winter. If not untouched from airborne pollutants, this water at higher elevations is still splendid, falling across and past clean, glistening rocks, through deep, clean pools. A place of water nymphs and mystery.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:50 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Thompson Park West of Durango.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,484,234 times
Crested Butte/Gunnison National Forest area.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,470,900 times
Black canyon on the Gunnison was amazing. I really wan't expecting much because it's not really well known compared to other canyons and areas of colorado. My dad made the comment that although it's not as big as the grand canyon, he though it was as dramatic and colorful.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 PM

884 posts, read 1,463,407 times
Personally for me, it's at the top of the mountains, or at the bottom of the canyons. I had to pick something kind of like that so I chose Rocky Mountain NP.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
For me, the view of the 14,000 footers from Ridgway. Preferably from the back of a horse.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM

198 posts, read 1,043,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Black canyon on the Gunnison was amazing. I really wan't expecting much because it's not really well known compared to other canyons and areas of colorado. My dad made the comment that although it's not as big as the grand canyon, he though it was as dramatic and colorful.
The Black Canyon and the Royal Gorge/Canyon are the two most underrated natural wonders of CO. They are always over shadowed by the Grand Canyon in close by Arizona. Its the same as how Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada mountains are always over shadowed by the mountains in Colorado and Utah. Also, the desert lands in CO are always over shadowed by the desert lands in its brother states of NM, UT, AZ, and even NV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or