U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM

85,077 posts, read 99,155,665 times

Advertisements

Medical marijuana users in Colorado mostly male - The Denver Post

For instance, "severe pain" grew from being listed on 87 percent of patients' marijuana recommendations to 94 percent of them. During the same stretch, cancer, glaucoma and HIV/AIDS all saw their proportions on the registry shrink.

Not once during the 18 months did men make up less than 70 percent of medical-marijuana patients.

Another statistic, not in this article, is that most marijuana card holders are in their 20s. It kind of makes you wonder about all this "chronic pain" in these young men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 AM

28 posts, read 69,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Medical marijuana users in Colorado mostly male - The Denver Post

For instance, "severe pain" grew from being listed on 87 percent of patients' marijuana recommendations to 94 percent of them. During the same stretch, cancer, glaucoma and HIV/AIDS all saw their proportions on the registry shrink.

Not once during the 18 months did men make up less than 70 percent of medical-marijuana patients.

Another statistic, not in this article, is that most marijuana card holders are in their 20s. It kind of makes you wonder about all this "chronic pain" in these young men.
Your claim that I bolded for you is untrue.

From the CDPHE's website:

"The average age of all patients is 40. Currently twenty-four patients are minors (under the age of 18)."

Colorado: Department of Public Health and Environment, Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry

That was quoted directly from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's website (CDPHE,) the department that oversees Colorado's medical marijuana registry program. It was from that page that the author of that Denver Post article gathered his info from.

Last edited by cementglow; 03-30-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 AM

28 posts, read 69,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
MJ is de-facto already legal in a number of jurisdictions in Colorado. at least until the feds decide to enforce their laws as they did recently in a crackdown in Montana.

Unfortunately, the current situation is in my view a bit of a worst-of-both-worlds situation. The main benefit to legalization would be to remove organized crime from the MJ supply chain, plus generate state and federal revenues from regulation and taxation. Now, Retail MJ is out in the open, but the supply chain is still almost entirely in the hands of organized crime. Even on the retail side, the legal ambiguity is a deterrent to above-board business to really get in on MMJ, so much of the retail is also in a cloudy gray area between criminal and legitimate business.

Personally, I lean toward full legalization. However, I'd lean toward supporting a full rollback of MMJ versus what we have today. As I said, what we have now gives us all the societal costs of legalization but none of the benefits.
I would like to point out that every medical marijuana center in Colorado is required by law to grow 70% of their own product. The remaining 30% must be obtained from another licensed MMC.

Medical Marijuana Center and 70/30 rule | Gard & Bond, L.L.C.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,687,933 times
I am all for personal freedoms and state's rights. If MJ is decriminalized, the state should have no hand in it's commerce. This "legalize & tax it" idea is just more big, nanny government.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM

85,077 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cementglow View Post
Your claim that I bolded for you is untrue.

From the CDPHE's website:

"The average age of all patients is 40. Currently twenty-four patients are minors (under the age of 18)."

Colorado: Department of Public Health and Environment, Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry

That was quoted directly from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's website (CDPHE,) the department that oversees Colorado's medical marijuana registry program. It was from that page that the author of that Denver Post article gathered his info from.
OK, my mistake. That was something I read one time. It must have been for a particular town.

ETA: From a year ago:

http://1800medicalmarijuana.com/blog...a-doctors.html
The average age of medical marijuana patients has dropped from 42 to 24 in the past year,

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-30-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,234,712 times
There is no legislation introduced to legalize pot, nor is there likely to be this year or next. Even those like me who would like it to be legal can't support it at this time. Until growing it is legal and regulated, all it would mean is more and more illegal gang activity and support for the drug cartels in Mexico.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 263,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh yay, just what we need another legal drug to make people stupid.
Improving Colorado's economic competitiveness, one neuron at a... hey, were you going to eat that?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,492,187 times
jim9251 wrote:
Oh yay, just what we need another legal drug to make people stupid.
Well Jim, if you think it makes people stupid, then it's legal status is irrelevant anyway, so let's make it legal. We're gonna have stupid people either way. But I think we're better off with legal stupid people than illegal stupid people.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM

10,605 posts, read 11,704,730 times
I'll be the first to buy stock in Doritos and Cheetos.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM

108 posts, read 164,741 times
I myself am planning on moving to a more "marijuana-friendly" state in the next few years, and it will more than likely end up being in Colorado. I am looking at the Southwest corner of Colorado, areas like Pagosa Springs and/or Durango..does anyone know if there are marijuana clinics in that neck of the woods? I don't have a legal prescription for marijuana since I live in the bible belt (Oklahoma, otherwise known as the very buckle of the bible belt), but I do partake once in a while to help with my anxiety and ptsd symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or