Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,600 times

Advertisements

Hello from NY

I'm 37 and my wife is 33 we are thinking about moving to Colorado from NY what places do you think we should look at.

1. I don't want to be 30 miles from mountains I'd like to live in a place that has mountians close if I look out my window I'l like to touch them

2. Both my wife and I are very friendly and we don't want to feel like the odd man out in Colorado.

3. We love the the different seasons and in NY when winter comes there is no snow we'd like snow in our winters . I'm guessing that Colorado is like NY just about?

4. We pretty much work from home we have a family run Medical Billing Company so jobs wouldn't be needed.

We are both looking for a change and want to leave NY for several reasons a few being, over crowded, stress, air stinks, $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Durango

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 121,691 times
I have heard EVERGREEN is wonderful from my husbands' coworkers. Close to Denver, but I believe you are in the mountains.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nost View Post
Hello from NY

I'm 37 and my wife is 33 we are thinking about moving to Colorado from NY what places do you think we should look at.

3. We love the the different seasons and in NY when winter comes there is no snow we'd like snow in our winters . I'm guessing that Colorado is like NY just about?
Colorado climate is nothing like New York's. Contrary to popular belief, the only places in Colorado that get abundant snow in the winter are the high-altutude mountain areas. Lower elevation areas generally either get relatively little snowfall, or what does fall melts after a few days. Outside of the mountain areas, Colorado is generally brown most of the winter--in fact, most of the state is brown for appoximately 6-7 months of the year, from around October to May.

Go here: Weatherbase , and compare climates--you will see what I mean. Upstate New York generally gets much heavier snowfall than any areas of Colorado outside of the higher mountain areas get.

Also, if you plan to live in the mountains (where the snow is), bring plenty of money--you will need it.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Also, if you plan to live in the mountains (where the snow is), bring plenty of money--you will need it.
I can second that. Even in these hard economic times it still relatively expensive to live in Mountain Colorado. One poster mentioned Durango? It ain't cheap there by any means. In fact, it is one of the places I interviewed this year. Had I won the job, I was looking at living in Bloomfield, NM. Hardly the mountains.

Of course, like the above quote, if you have cash, lots of cash, then all of this is void.

Please read the rest of the threads. You'll find the success stories involve having lots of money or 'portable' (substantial) income.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM

22 posts, read 35,685 times
Hello from Littleton CO!

Some areas I'd suggest closer to Denver, but away from the sprawl:

SW Littleton (yes, I'm a little biased! )
Morrison
Evergreen
Conifer
Golden (small town feel, minutes to Downtown or Mtns)
Arvada

Benefits: mountain views, easy access to mountains, trails, parks and "lakes" (by Colorado standards), more affordable homes
Negatives:...hmmmm, too much fresh air?

Generally, communities in the Denver suburbs are a friendly and pro-outdoor lifestyle. Seasons are likely not as pretty as NY, but the aspen leaves are just now changing which can be quite spectacular. Winters aren't as bad as most might think, except for the random 3 ft of snow we seem to get every 4-5 years. Nice thing about the climate is the snow usually melts pretty fast - 30 degrees in the morning, 65 in the afternoon.

The saying in Colorado - if you don't like the weather, just wait for 15 minutes and it will change. Can't complain too much with 300+ avg days of sunshine!

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Last edited by Gr8DenverHomes; 09-13-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: correct typos

Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I would add to that list above:

Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont, Niwot. These places have all the advantages of the towns mentioned about in that they are on the edge of the metro area. Longmont, also up north here, is more of an independent community than a suburb.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Why are you talking Front Range? The dude says he wants to live in the mountains, so give him some ideas about that. Not everyone moving in is a starving recent college grad or down-n-outer living on a shoestring. I'll throw some out there:

Aspen
Vail
Steamboat Springs
Ouray
Telluride

If he wants to rent for awhile I'm not seeing anything on here that looks all that expensive for someone who owns his own business:

high rockies apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Nost - Go for it!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM

53 posts, read 201,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why are you talking Front Range? The dude says he wants to live in the mountains, so give him some ideas about that. Not everyone moving in is a starving recent college grad or down-n-outer living on a shoestring. I'll throw some out there:

Aspen
Vail
Steamboat Springs
Ouray
Telluride

If he wants to rent for awhile I'm not seeing anything on here that looks all that expensive for someone who owns his own business:

high rockies apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Nost - Go for it!

Front range =/= plains.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 AM

168 posts, read 381,310 times
Nost,

Check out Silverthorne, Frisco, maybe even Breckenridge. - but don't be surprised if it snows on July 4th.....Mountains in all directions that you can "reach out and touch". The town of Breckenridge should have the same "retail & social culture" you are use to, too.

I'm from the midwest, and spent summers in upstate NY - the wetness in CO is dryer (LOL) than back there, not the same bitter cold when the temp drops either, & barely existing humidity.

Where ever you head to, consider renting that first year. Sometimes it takes a couple of moves before you find the right fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado