U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 09:40 AM

29 posts, read 44,276 times

Advertisements

According to the MPP (Marijuana Policy Project) One of their main agendas this year is to legalize marijuana for adult use ( much like its more dangerous counterpart, Alcohol) in CO. and CA. This will cause a population growth in Colorado like no other. I , by the way am for legalization of marijuana. As an RN and a chronic pain sufferer, I will move there STAT because of Marijuana laws. This will create a huge state revenue so Coloradans please vote for its legalization and start a trend in the US. Please become informed about the benefits of Marijuana eg: cutting cancer tumor growth, pain relief, muscle relaxation, increased creativity, etc. etc. And if you don't want people moving there then vote it in so it will become legal in other states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM

5,248 posts, read 4,574,468 times
Oh yay, just what we need another legal drug to make people stupid.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM

8,177 posts, read 16,209,860 times
Hate to bust the OP's bubble, but I see nothing in the current legislative session other than some minor modifications to Colorado's current medical marijuana law. One bill that has passed in the House does makes "excessive" THC in the blood a DUI offense for drivers.

There has also been a considerable backlash against medical marijuana dispensaries in the state--with numerous counties and municipalities banning their operation (which current law allows them to do). It has become abundantly clear than the lax wording of the current law has led to a lot of people who do not need medical marijuana for a legitimate medical purpose being able to obtain it. To top it off, Colorado's current medical marijuana law still violates Federal law--and if and when the Feds decide to actually enforce the law that's on their books, medical marijuana will be dead in Colorado.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,115 times
One of the reasons my husband and I want to move to CO is for the acceptance of marijuana. Not because we use it but because we like the thought of the state making revenue from its sale and at the same time less tax money to put non violent criminals in jail. The sale of it also creates more business. Its a triple win for everyone. We also see nothing wrong with using marijuana.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM

837 posts, read 1,167,628 times
As a native of Colorado, I can tell you that the state is an interesting mix of liberal and conservative politics. Decriminalization of Marijuana has a lot of support there from a lot of people. Often even the most conservative (who would never use it themselves) support making it legal on the grounds that it is financially disadvantageous to spend tax dollars to prosecute and incarcerate people over a naturally occurring plant.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
MJ is de-facto already legal in a number of jurisdictions in Colorado. at least until the feds decide to enforce their laws as they did recently in a crackdown in Montana.

Unfortunately, the current situation is in my view a bit of a worst-of-both-worlds situation. The main benefit to legalization would be to remove organized crime from the MJ supply chain, plus generate state and federal revenues from regulation and taxation. Now, Retail MJ is out in the open, but the supply chain is still almost entirely in the hands of organized crime. Even on the retail side, the legal ambiguity is a deterrent to above-board business to really get in on MMJ, so much of the retail is also in a cloudy gray area between criminal and legitimate business.

Personally, I lean toward full legalization. However, I'd lean toward supporting a full rollback of MMJ versus what we have today. As I said, what we have now gives us all the societal costs of legalization but none of the benefits.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM

8,177 posts, read 16,209,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
As a native of Colorado, I can tell you that the state is an interesting mix of liberal and conservative politics. Decriminalization of Marijuana has a lot of support there from a lot of people. Often even the most conservative (who would never use it themselves) support making it legal on the grounds that it is financially disadvantageous to spend tax dollars to prosecute and incarcerate people over a naturally occurring plant.
Opium poppies occurs naturally, too (not in Colorado, thank heavens). Under your logic, heroin should be legal. In fact, most illicit drugs--with the huge exception of Meth--are obtained from naturally occurring plants.

Colorado's current medical marijuana law presents two problems that I believe are pretty serious. One is that marijuana is being obtained by quite a lot of people under the guise of medical necessity when the user, in fact, is obtaining for other purposes--namely, recreational use. The other is that, regardless of where one stands on the question of marijuana use, under federal law, it is still an illegal drug. I have a real problem with people who think it's OK to break the law when that law is inconvenient for them. That is part of the very big decay in current American society. If one thinks a law is unnecessary, unfair, or unjust, then work to get it changed. Until then--obey it!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,638,364 times
I've never touched the stuff, chardonnay works fine for me and I only drink it in my home once I'm in for the day...

But, my sister had a recent experience with MJ for pain relief and swears it is the best thing she ever tried. She too is a straight arrow type and her strongest substance is rum and coke or an occasional bahama mama drink.

She was hit with sudden onset Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) which causes stiffness and aching of the muscles around the neck, shoulders and hips. Said to be hereditary, she was in extreme pain and her husband had to lift in/out of bed, half dress her, etc. She could no longer mount or ride her horses which broke her heart something fierce. About the only thing that helped her pain were the illicit joints she got from a neighbor.

I'll take her word for it that MMJ was of great help to her situation which has now pretty much departed after PMR's usual ~2-year visitation. The day she was able to get back on a horse and ride was one of the best days of her life, and she thanks MMJ for the relief that made it possible.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,587,411 times
Wink Mary Jane

As far as I'm concerned what one does with their body, or puts in it, is entirely their concern. Ours and ours alone, the government or anybody else can butt out.

Beyond that, in all its many beneficial uses marijuana is a blessing to mankind. It has many valid medicinal uses, is just nice to get high on, and is a great expander of consciousness.

The politics of this is another matter. Attitudes and laws are gradually becoming more liberal, but it may be some time before everyone understands what a wonderful plant we have here. A veritable weed, with God within.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,130,892 times
marijuana is illegal in Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado