Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM

198 posts, read 1,279,087 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people think CO is part of the midwest??? Is it because we have plains/prairies? We have the high arid plains in Eastern Colorado, the same as West Texas, Eastern New Mexico, and Southeastern Wyoming. We dont have the humid plains of the midwest. Hello! The Midwest is Kansas, Nebraska, S. Dakota, N. Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio. We have mountains and desert lands in CO. You do NOT find those in the midwest. We have mountains, desert, and high plains, the same as New Mexico. No way, No how, is Colorado in the midwest. To say Colorado is in the midwest is like saying Indiana or Illinois is part of the east coast. Or its like saying Pennsylvania is part of the south. Or its like saying the mountain west states are part of the west coast. Its ridiculous.

I always say CO is definitely not Midwest or West Coast. I have always grown up and been taught that Colorado is part of the Mountain West, and the southern portion of the region. For example, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada are in the Mountain West and the southern portion. Meanwhile, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana are in the Northern Mountain West.

I do not like to group the Southwest and Northwest, simply because it gets confusing. For example, AZ, NM, NV, UT, and CO are all considered southern Mountain West, but could maybe all be Southwest as well.

So would anyone else agree that Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico are Southern Mountain West states??

That is the map i have always seen and used.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM

163 posts, read 376,543 times
I like that map. My only contention is that I could possibly see Delaware and/or Maryland being considered part of the Mid-Atlantic. Maybe.

To answer your question, a lot (I'd hazard a guess of "most") of the people who think of Colorado as a Midwestern state have never been there. (Or to other parts of the Midwest.) In the Eastern Plains, I wouldn't argue with someone if they felt that region was at least culturally connected to the Midwest, but outside of that, there's very little argument to be had. If you've been through Colorado at any length, even very briefly (such as myself) I don't think you'd group Colorado in with other Midwestern states.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Go to "General US" and you will find arguments for practically every border state. Is Delaware north or south? Is Virginia mid-Atlantic or south? Is southern Illinois/Indiana the south? How about southern Ohio? Is Pittsburgh the midwest?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Because if you didn't look at state lines or the people who lived in each area, but just by topographic and geological study, you could come to the conclusion that the Midwest ends at the start of the Rocky Mountains. And since the vast majority of the population in Colorado lives east of the Rockies its easy to see why some could characterize the state as the Midwest.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The funny (ironic) thing is, I grew up in Pittsburgh, which many people argue vehemently to be the eastern terminus of the midwest, and now I live in metro Denver, supposedly the western terminus of same.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
States like Colorado, especially the eastern half, don't always fit into neat little categories. I definitely see element of the Midwest in the Denver area.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I don't believe that Colorado is part of the Midwest, however, never are regional boundaries exact. So, how is a region defined? Economically? Socially? Environmentally? Culturally? Politically? Climatically? Each will lead to different regional definitions. For example, Denver's regional economic influence extends well east onto the Great Plains, well west toward Utah, and well northward into Wyoming and Montana. If one defines a region by climatic or environmental criteria, the Great Plains have little in common with the Rocky Mountains. If one looks at cultural distinctions, southern and western Colorado have little in common with Colorado's metropolitan areas. And so on and so on.

Of course, political boundaries do matter for many legal and governance matters, but don't necessarily follow logical geographical, economic, social, or other boundaries. For example, in many ways, the San Luis Valley of Colorado is more closely tied to New Mexico, geographically, culturally, and economically than it is to other parts of Colorado, but it is contained within Colorado's political boundaries. Similarly, a lot of far western Colorado is geographically more tied to eastern Utah than it is to Colorado.

Years ago, I remember having a discussion with a rancher from the Alberta province in Canada. He argued that Alberta and eastern British Columbia in Canada had far more in common with the Rocky Mountain States of the US than either region had in common with the eastern provinces of Canada or the eastern states of the US. He opined that the two regions--maybe also including the Great Plains provinces in Canada and the Great Plains states in the US--should unite into a new country and tell the eastern US and eastern Canada to, in his words, "Go **** off." I have to admit that, as a native Westerner, it was pretty hard to argue with his logic.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I like that map. My only contention is that I could possibly see Delaware and/or Maryland being considered part of the Mid-Atlantic. Maybe.

To answer your question, a lot (I'd hazard a guess of "most") of the people who think of Colorado as a Midwestern state have never been there. (Or to other parts of the Midwest.) In the Eastern Plains, I wouldn't argue with someone if they felt that region was at least culturally connected to the Midwest, but outside of that, there's very little argument to be had. If you've been through Colorado at any length, even very briefly (such as myself) I don't think you'd group Colorado in with other Midwestern states.
My guess is that the Maryland thing is due to the Mason-Dixon line being the northern border of the state.

Colorado does have a sort of split personality. Is it a mountain state? Yes. Is it a Plains state? Yes. Of course, state borders don't always follow natural features, hence the problem...although I'm not sure it's a very big problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
I don't know, the eastern half of Co is kinda midwestern. And not very mountainy. And where is the Southwest on the map? Even though CO is the least southwesterny of the bunch commonly thought of as SW.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
State boundaries in this part of the country are straight, imaginary lines, and have nothing to do with true regional distinctions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado