Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pawnee Grassland VS. Comanche Grassland?
Pawnee national Grassland 7 63.64%
Comanche National Grassland 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 AM

198 posts, read 1,279,087 times

Advertisements

One is in NorCo (Northern Colorado) and the other is in Southeastern Colorado. Both are beautiful areas on the high plains in Colorado. Which do you prefer? Personally, I prefer the Comanche just above the Pawnee.

PAWNEE NATIONAL GRASSLANDS/PAWNEE BUTTES

This picture almost looks like its in the CO desert lands, but its in NorCo. Crazy!

COMANCHE NATIONAL GRASSLANDS

Again, almost looks like the desert lands in CO, but on the SE High Plains in Colorado.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I like Amy Poehler so am going with Pawnee.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 302,050 times
I think the Pawnee National Grasslands is one of Colorado's unappreciated treasures. Most people just appreciate it for target practice.

The sky is endless out there. Go on a good tornado watch day in late May and experience the majesty of nature and the thrill of (possibly losing) your life. Just be careful when you do it.

Supercells and that endless horizon are seriously the only things I miss from the prairie -- and man, do I dearly miss them.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 AM

9 posts, read 34,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
The sky is endless out there.

...that endless horizon...
The supercells are amazing to watch, but my favorites are the stars at night and the dusk/dawn line - pitch black sky one one horizon and orange on the other.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I wish I had something to add, but I just want to say that I've been curious about the Comanche Grasslands, but haven't had a chance to drive down to visit. I've seen the Pawnee Buttes, but it was raining, so I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. I know Colorado is known for the mountains, but I really like the plains, too. Thanks for posting this!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM

103 posts, read 395,701 times
Default Just one more shot of Comanche

CO.NATIVE.SW......Nice post!

Have been to both are they great examples of how diverse Colorado really is. Have to say my fav is Comanche for its "variety".

17th and 18th Century drawings in Picture Canyon (near Springfield) and Carrizo Creek (east of Kim towards Springfield), 1000 year old petroglyphs in Vogel Canyon and the Picketwire Canyon (south of La Junta), and then the actual Dinosaur Trails of the Purgatory (south of La Junta).

CO.NATIVE.SW....Really nice pics of both areas and thanks for drawing attention to both areas...... and as a bonus,here is one of the Dinosaur Tracks in Comanche as well. Contact information for Comanche Grasslands at Visit La Junta: Comanche National Grassland

Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la junta econ devel View Post
CO.NATIVE.SW......Nice post!

Have been to both are they great examples of how diverse Colorado really is. Have to say my fav is Comanche for its "variety".

17th and 18th Century drawings in Picture Canyon (near Springfield) and Carrizo Creek (east of Kim towards Springfield), 1000 year old petroglyphs in Vogel Canyon and the Picketwire Canyon (south of La Junta), and then the actual Dinosaur Trails of the Purgatory (south of La Junta).

CO.NATIVE.SW....Really nice pics of both areas and thanks for drawing attention to both areas...... and as a bonus,here is one of the Dinosaur Tracks in Comanche as well. Contact information for Comanche Grasslands at Visit La Junta: Comanche National Grassland

Thanks! I know, both are amazing. Its really interesting to see how diverse even our high plains are. These two areas have terrain that nearly looks like the desert lands in Colorado, but there on the high plains. I voted for Comanche because of the dinosaur tracks, and I just love the feel of the high plains in SE Colorado a bit more than Northern/NE Colorado.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I wish I had something to add, but I just want to say that I've been curious about the Comanche Grasslands, but haven't had a chance to drive down to visit. I've seen the Pawnee Buttes, but it was raining, so I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. I know Colorado is known for the mountains, but I really like the plains, too. Thanks for posting this!
I know. it seems as if people do not realize CO has large amounts of high plains and large amounts of desert lands. Thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
The birds flying through pawnee grasslands during migrations are astounding. It's birding paradise.

Pawnee's an example of nature reclaiming her own. The area had been homesteaded and settled; the dust bowl wiped it out. It's high and dry and windy and unforgiving. The buffalo ranged there before.

There's an information sign at Pawnee that quotes a Pawnee Chief while he watched the settlers plowing up the prairie to plant their crops. He said "Grass no good upside down."

Pawnee's one of my favorite places.

Last edited by suzco; 04-04-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
This picture almost looks like its in the CO desert lands, but its in NorCo. Crazy!
I've actually camped by those buttes multiple times for the past several years and I love that area of the Grasslands. Pawnee's got my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado