Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times

Advertisements

Well, at least Edward Abbey was smart enough not to live in Cortez. I'm puzzled at his appearance here in this thread, but whatever. The man had hs flaws as do we all, but his love of this area went deep and he wrote eloquently about the West and what has been happening to it.

In memory still green, Ed. You are missed by many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM

802 posts, read 977,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, at least Edward Abbey was smart enough not to live in Cortez. I'm puzzled at his appearance here in this thread, but whatever. The man had hs flaws as do we all, but his love of this area went deep and he wrote eloquently about the West and what has been happening to it.

In memory still green, Ed. You are missed by many.
I'm a latecomer to Mr. Abbey, but thoroughly enjoying Desert Solitaire and The Monkey Wrench Gang. I wonder if he and Hunter Thompson ever hung out together. Anarchists are the best! We need more of 'em.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 PM

14 posts, read 26,546 times
I will only comment on Canon City other than to say Cortez is probably too far away from what you want and Trinada is pretty remote too.
I just left Canon City 3 months ago for "greener and cooler pastures" in Montana.
Canon is a nice quiet small town. I does have a very large retirement aged population. As for the prisons issues.....there arent any. Once you live there a while you think very little of it. Other than you see people in guard uniforms everyday its a non-issue. And the prisons help to support the local economy in every way.
Now, to me, it is hot and dry all summer. And you better not mind wind. But winters are incredibly mild. If it snows a few inches its gone in a day or two because it in the 50s again.
You have the shopping most people would need on a daily basis.(Safeway, WalMart, HomeDepot etc.) And Pueblo and CO Springs are each less than an hour away for more specialty shopping. Not a lot going on in town most of the time though, so dont expect excitement.
Traffic is worse than it used to be, but still not bad. A bit heavy during the summer tourist season.
And yes you can raise sheep or cattle or anything else right in town on little property.
Thats my view of Canon. It was nice while I was there, but I always wanted to live in MT and now that Im here.....Im not leaving. Best of luck in you search.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,205,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Oh come on. That's such a small part of Trinidad's culture. It's not like the whole town is transsexual. I'd give negative reps for that one if I could.
While you may know better, many people still make that connection, for better or worse. That is what I think of when I think of Trinidad and I like Trinidad. I'd live there in a heart beat over the other cities presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado