U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 5,569 times

Advertisements

I lived in Northern CO. for 14 years, but moved to Florida. I have been here for 8 years and am missing grandkids. I love the Loveland area, but its much more expensive to live in now. For the amount of house and property we have, we can't afford to get in Northern Colorado. We don't have kids at home any more, and I am interested in small towns. I am living in a rural areawith property now. I am used to deserts as I spend my younger years in Reno, NV. I was checking out Cortez, Canon City or Trinidad. I am interested in getting some land and raising some animals on it. Can sheep be raised in this area? I am looking forward to meeting people and not interested in night life at all. I would like to raise animals, have a small garden, and maybe work on my spanish. The scenery is abit important as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,892,688 times
I don't know anything about the Cortez or Trinidad but my Dad and his wife moved back to Canon City and live there 5 months out of the year. My Dad and his wife were both born there and lived there until college. It's a small town and they have to go to peublo or the springs to do mall shopping or see a doctor. My Dad has heart problems and nobody is local to treat him.

He has lots of land, sits up on a hill and he can see the whole city from his backyard. He has bears and other wildlife that visit and jump his fence and they really have to keep an eye on their little dog. He actually had a baby bear sit up in one of his trees for 3 days one time.

Other than that they love it, they can get anywhere in town within 10 minutes, hardly any traffic and his kids and his wifes drive up almost every weekend to visit. It's a nice little town.

He also has a place in Larkspur, you might want to consider it as well.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieholshouser View Post
I lived in Northern CO. for 14 years, but moved to Florida. I have been here for 8 years and am missing grandkids. I love the Loveland area, but its much more expensive to live in now. For the amount of house and property we have, we can't afford to get in Northern Colorado. We don't have kids at home any more, and I am interested in small towns. I am living in a rural areawith property now. I am used to deserts as I spend my younger years in Reno, NV. I was checking out Cortez, Canon City or Trinidad. I am interested in getting some land and raising some animals on it. Can sheep be raised in this area? I am looking forward to meeting people and not interested in night life at all. I would like to raise animals, have a small garden, and maybe work on my spanish. The scenery is abit important as well. Thanks
Raising livestock in Colorado as anything other than a money-losing hobby requires substantial acreage--and in the areas you cite, the purchase price would preclude buying anything that would be able to make a profit or sustain more than a very few animals. The old adage, "Want to make a small fortune ranching in Colorado? Well, start with a BIG fortune" operates here.

Of the towns you cite, I would likely pick Cañon City, though I think it too close to the Colorado metro blob for my tastes. In your family circumstance, though, that might be an advantage.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,459,975 times
Cortez & Trindad have some sheep operations and once had a lot more.
One website with sheep near Cortez: http://hovenweepsheep.com/

Not sure about Canon City for amount of sheep presence then or now, but I'd guess it had / has at least some.

A few sheep for a hobby can probably work many places at least ok from an experience standpoint though as stated previously maybe not from an economic one if all costs are considered. With enough time, protection, feed & money applied they can get along a lot of places.

If access to grandkids is a priority and they are in northern Colorado, then I would not select Cortez as the place to live.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-31-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 6,685,971 times
Those are three very different towns in very different areas! You need to visit each one, definitely.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,954,423 times
None of the above. Why not try Salida? It's not all the hell and gone like Cortez, doesn't have the uncomfortable Federal Prison vibe of Canon City, and doesn't have all that sex change stuff going on like Trinidad (nothing against sex changes - some people feel awkward about them is all). Monte Vista is also a nice little town where you can raise live-stock - just don't end up in some remote part of the San Luis Valley with no water.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,892,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
None of the above. Why not try Salida? It's not all the hell and gone like Cortez, doesn't have the uncomfortable Federal Prison vibe of Canon City, and doesn't have all that sex change stuff going on like Trinidad (nothing against sex changes - some people feel awkward about them is all). Monte Vista is also a nice little town where you can raise live-stock - just don't end up in some remote part of the San Luis Valley with no water.

I never feel uncomfortable in Canon. My Step Mother says they aren't bad people, they just got caught.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
doesn't have all that sex change stuff going on like Trinidad (nothing against sex changes - some people feel awkward about them is all
Oh come on. That's such a small part of Trinidad's culture. It's not like the whole town is transsexual. I'd give negative reps for that one if I could.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

486 posts, read 1,235,368 times
Quote:
Good luck trying to find some affordable land to raise livestock on around Salida!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 AM

198 posts, read 1,044,028 times
Quote:
Thats ridiculous. Its not like the entire town if Trinidad gets sex shanges. All three are pretty different and in different areas. Cortez is in SW Colorado and is on the desert lands down there. Its a small town, but Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, and Four corners are not far drives at all. The beautiful San Juans are just north of Cortez as well. Canon City is another small town, and the largest state prison in CO is located there. Its in the Southern CO desert land areas. Its beautiful as well, and there is always the Royal Gorge/Canyon, Pueblo, and C-Springs not too far away. The Great Sand Dunes in the SLV Desert are not far either. Trinidad is a bit different. Trinidad is not in the CO desert lands technically, but it does have that type of look depending on where you're at. Trinidad has much more of a Latino population than Cortez and Canon City. Not to say the other two don't, but not as much as Trinidad. Thats a plus for Trinidad in my opinion. All three are beautiful, but I would suggest going to each of the three and making your decision then. As far as livestock, I have echo what jazzlover said. It really depends on the amount of acres you can buy or get ahold of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado