U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:56 PM

198 posts, read 1,043,296 times

Advertisements

I would guess either California or Texas, and the states bordering CO.

The most out of state license plates i see are New Mexico, California, Wyoming, and Arizona. I see a lot of Nevada, Utah, Texas, and Kansas too, but by far NM, CA, WY, & AZ are the most common plates I seem to see.

Of course its the same anywhere. When I have been to our brother states of Arizona and New Mexico, i saw many Colorado, California, and Texas plates. I saw many Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming as well. Its not even that uncommon to see Nebraska, Idaho, or even Montana plates in the Southwest/Southern Mountain states. It really just depends on what state you're in, i guess. California and Florida probably have the most out of state plates in their state though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Keep in mind though that the more distant fly-in states may be underrepresented in license plate surveys.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Keep in mind though that the more distant fly-in states may be underrepresented in license plate surveys.
True, but I was just speculation where I thought most of the visitors come from. New Mexico is probably the most common plate I see in CO though.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
True, but I was just speculation where I thought most of the visitors come from. New Mexico is probably the most common plate I see in CO though.
Just curious what part of CO where you observed that.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just curious what part of CO where you observed that.
Denver? Colorado Springs? I spend most of my time in these two cities. I have seen 5 New Mexico plates in the couple hours I have been out today. It just seems that way to me.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM

948 posts, read 1,201,855 times
TX, CA, AZ, in the winter
TX, NM, OR in the summer
Many people however live in AZ in the winter and CO in the summer

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
Denver? Colorado Springs? I spend most of my time in these two cities. I have seen 5 New Mexico plates in the couple hours I have been out today. It just seems that way to me.
Many of the out-of-state license plates you see in Colorado Springs belong to folks in the military. Military people have the option of keeping license plates from their home state or, in some cases, other states in which they have held military assignments and have declared residency (unlike the deadbeats who illegally keep their out of state plates when they move to Colorado, for the military people, keeping their vehicle registered in another state is legal). That is why, for example, you will sometimes see Hawaii license plates in Colorado.

A lot of military people have New Mexico license plates because:

a) there are numerous military bases in New Mexico and many military people have been stationed there at one time or another, and

b) New Mexico license plates have some of the lowest registration fees in the US, so some military people elect to keep New Mexico their state of residency.

There can also be a business aspect, too. For example, you will see a lot of New Mexico plates on commercial pickups, etc. in Grand Junction because many of the oilfield service companies located in Grand Junction also have operations in Farmington, New Mexico--those vehicles travel between Grand Junction and Farmington constantly. You will also see a lot of commercial pickups in Grand Junction with Wyoming or North Dakota plates for the same reason.

As far as tourist vehicles go, California and Texas are usually the biggies in Colorado. You will see a lot of RV's with Oregon license plates, but most of those are not really from Oregon. Oregon does not have a sales tax, so a lot of people have figured out how to scam their home state by fraudulently registering their RV in Oregon. A sure tipoff is when the RV has Oregon plates, and the car being towed behind is registered somewhere else. Yes, even some of those "nice" folks driving their RV's can be cheating slimeballs. (Oregon periodically cracks down on this activity, see story here http://www.bendweekly.com/Statewide-News/3793.html , but it still goes on.)

Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,182,664 times
I worked for two Chamber of Commerce Visitor Bureaus in Colorado. Compiling stats on actual tourist visits is very difficult. Obviously no one is required to "sign in" or fill out any forms when they arrive as to why they are here, where they are going or where they came from.
To echo what jazzlover said, you can't necessarily tell who is a tourist and who isn't by their license plates. Many people move here and wait as long as they can to get Colorado plates because of the high fees.

I did a little research (using the link that Hipchik provided) and found this report: Colorado Welcome Center Visitor Survey 2008

While most visitors were from other U.S. states (84.2%), 3.8% were international visitors and 12.0% were Colorado residents staying at least one night away from home (Appendix 6). Most visitors (58%) came from 10 other states and Colorado, including Texas, California, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Florida, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Arizona (Table 5). More than 66% of visitors were from states west of the Mississippi.

Keep in mind that this is just a small sampling -- people who stopped at the Visitor Centers and took the time to participate in the survey. To the OP, the information in this survey may help answer some of your questions. I think it's worth reading.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,224 times
Jim9251 you're too funny!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,182,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Last August I played a game to see how long it would take me to spot a license plate from all 50 states....
Now almost 8 months later, I still have not spotted a plate from Delaware.
I saw your Delaware plate this morning in the parking lot at A-Basin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado