U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is CO the most related to? (Culture, people, food, terrain, etc.)
New Mexico 14 35.90%
Utah 7 17.95%
Nevada 1 2.56%
California 6 15.38%
Arizona 1 2.56%
West Texas 1 2.56%
Kansas 1 2.56%
Wyoming 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times

Advertisements

Co.Native, are you from southern Colorado, by chance? If so, then I can see why you think it's very similar to NM.

I picked Wyoming. I don't think there's all that much difference between the two states other than about 4.5 million people. Seriously, toss out the big cities on the front range and both states are pretty similar, at least until you get down into the southern part of the state. But then I'm mostly familiar with northern Colorado (and of course Wyoming).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,511,378 times
I'm kind of torn on this one. On one hand, we're very similar to Utah in terms of topography and development patterns, but Colorado pretty much lacks the LDS heritage that Utah does (of all of Utah's neighbors, Colorado is the LEAST LDS) -- in that way Utah is closer to Idaho than Colorado. On the other hand, I think rural parts of Colorado are very similar to Wyoming, especially in the northern half of the Colorado. The southern part of Colorado, especially south of Pueblo, is very closely related to New Mexico.

Of the three, I'd say the state is closer to Wyoming than the other two. The Southwestern / New Mexico culture is confined to the southern parts of the state, so that doesn't reflect Colorado as a whole. And, as I mentioned, Utah is simply too defined by its LDS identity to resemble Colorado.

One thing nobody's mentioned yet is Nevada. I do see quite a few similarities. Both have a large and growing metro area (Denver / Las Vegas) that dominates the state and is comprised largely of transplants, especially from California. Both have a long history with the mining industry and the freewheeling culture that mining brings. Both have a growing Hispanic influence. Both have a winter resort / ski culture (Tahoe versus Aspen/Vail/Telluride). Both have a vast rural area dominated by ranching and mining, interspersed by vast areas of empty, open space. Even the climate of the two states resembles each other, (with the exception of southern Nevada, which doesn't have a parallel in Colorado) -- the front range, for instance, is similar in climate to Reno / Carson City -- both are in the rain shadow of the mountains.

I think the main difference (Nevada versus Colorado) is that the large metros (Las Vegas versus Denver) are very different. LV is very tied into the Greater SW, and has the gaming/tourism culture that Denver just doesn't have. LV is also a lot more disconnected from the rest of Nevada than Denver is from the rest of Colorado, though I know rural Coloradans might disagree.

Take the front Range of Colorado and Clark County Nevada away and Nevada and Colorado do resemble each other in a lot of ways.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times
Who said Colorado is like West Texas?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,673,467 times
Oregon, actually.... just replace the ocean with more mountains. Both states have populations centered around one corridor with one population center that is an exclave of this corridor (Bend vs. GJ). Both have liberal/weird cities. Both have conservative areas. Elections lean left. Both have similar demographics. Both have one large dominant city and several smaller to midsize important ones. Both are very touristy. Both have similar population sizes and distribution. Interior Oregon weather more similar to CO, obviously CO is lacking the coastal influence.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,870,707 times
Overall, New Mexico has to be the winner.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,252,473 times
I would choose Nevada over Wyoming. Wyoming is sparsely populated and doesn't have an urban belt that corresponds to the Front Range cities. Nevada's smaller major city (Reno), on the other hand, sits to the east of a major mountain range (similar to Denver). But Nevada has a subtropical area which Colorado lacks.

Arizona might fit the bill except that it's population is concentrated in the subtropical part of the state. However, Arizona and Colorado are the 2 most populous interior western states and both have large urban areas and less populous mountainous areas (but not the practically deserted outstate areas of the type that Nevada has). Both have large hispanic populations but not to the extent that New Mexico has. Arizona has a much greater native American presence, however.

New Mexico has a lot of similarities to Colorado, but Santa Fe and Albuquerque are much older then anything in Colorado. In fact, settlement didn't spread north from there into southern Colorado until the 1800s. And there's the long tradition of continuously inhabited native American pueblos in the northern and central parts of the state that Colorado lacks as well. Still, with the exception of the Chihuahuan desert sections, the environment is fairly similar to Colorado's.

Utah has a similar environment (except for not having the Great Plains), but I agree with others that it's LDS history and culture make it fairly different from Colorado.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM

840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
As a native of Colorado, specifically southern Colorado, I can say that the south east section of the state from say, Colorado Springs southward is a lot like New Mexico. I have a lot of family in Pueblo, Trinidad, Walsenburg, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and elsewhere in NM. They are strikingly similar...

The biggest difference I notice is that turquoise is a lot more common the further south you go, and Hatch NM. chilies aren't half as good as Pueblo chiles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado