U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 PM

74 posts, read 206,653 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on visiting Colorado soon, and am wanting some advice on most scenic places to visit on a weekend. Plans so far are Pikes Peak up to the summit, Garden of the gods while on the way coming back to Denver from Pikes Peak, Flatirons, and after that I am stumped since from what I am reading none of the trail ridge road is open at RMNP.

Any other suggestions on some nice scenic shots? Wouldn't mind a little hiking if necessary, ie a lake shot surrounded by some nice mountain peaks is desired.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:42 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,185,663 times
Rocky Mountain National Park is still worth the visit even if Trail Ridge Road isn't open all the way (usually opens by Memorial Day weekend). There are several hikes you can take to lakes with mountain backdrops on the east side of the park: Cub Lake, Lake Haiyaha, Nymph Lake, Dream Lake, Emerald Lake to name a few.
This website has good hike info with photos: ProTrails: Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Some of the trails may be snow-covered so check with rangers about conditions or go here: Rocky Mountain National Park - Trail Conditions Reports (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM

198 posts, read 1,044,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhuut View Post
I'm planning on visiting Colorado soon, and am wanting some advice on most scenic places to visit on a weekend. Plans so far are Pikes Peak up to the summit, Garden of the gods while on the way coming back to Denver from Pikes Peak, Flatirons, and after that I am stumped since from what I am reading none of the trail ridge road is open at RMNP.

Any other suggestions on some nice scenic shots? Wouldn't mind a little hiking if necessary, ie a lake shot surrounded by some nice mountain peaks is desired.

Thanks
16th Street Mall, Santa Fe Art District, Red Rocks Ampitheatre (its great to just see it), Boulders Pearl Street Mall, Denver's Art Museum or Colorado History Museum, Pueblo Reservoir, Royal Gorge, Great Sand Dunes, Pawnee Buttes/Grasslands, Comanche Grasslands, Florissant Fossil Beds Monument. Those are my suggestions for areas within a few hours. Great Sand Dunes may be a 3-4 hour drive, but its well worth it. The other stuff in CO may be too far a drive for your trip.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,359,010 times
If you don't mind a drive well out of your way I would recommend either going to Durango and the 4 Corners in the southwest or visiting the Big Creek Lakes up in the northwest. Pawnee Grasslands and the Pawnee Buttes east/northeast of Greeley are definitely worth seeing too, plus those are only about 2 hours or so away from northern Denver. I haven't been there but I hear Steamboat Springs is a fun place to visit just about any time of the year. The Sand Dunes are also a blast. If you like rodeos at all then I would also recommend tiny Deer Trail east of Denver on I-70. Flatirons Mall in Broomfield is also a definite must. I might also recommend tiny Lyons and Estes Park and for scenic shots try Rabbit Mountain just northwest from Longmont.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,646,107 times
Ouray County, Silverton, Red Mountain Pass.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM

726 posts, read 1,814,361 times
Twin Lakes. Pretty lakes surrounded by 14ers. If the weather/roads are clear it takes about 2-2.5 hours from Denver.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,139,717 times
As long as you're in the COS area, make sure you visit Manitou Springs. It's at the base of Pikes Peak and the bottom end of the Cog Railroad is located there.
If you're driving to Denver anyway, take a drive up to Woodland Park and take 67 to 285 back to Denver. Or take I25 north to Monument and take 105 north through Palmer Lake to Sedalia and back to Castle Rock or north to Highlands Ranch. Either one is very scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or