U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 PM

780 posts, read 1,431,472 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am strongly considering Colorado as a place to move to sometime in the future, due to the really nice scenery and lots of jobs in my future career field. There is one thing that worries me though, the weather/climate. Being from Miami, I am well aware that pretty much any place I go to will be too cold, I am willing to adapt. But I am a bit scared after hearing the horror stories about the humid 110 degree summers in Chicago and Boston followed by -20 degrees 5 month winters. I realize that the temperature would vary greatly depending on elevation, but I just want to know the overall climate of the major cities, Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, etc. Is it humid or dry? Does it get over 90 in the summer? How long is the summer? One thing that would be a deal breaker for me is more than 2 months of 30 or lower temps. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,437,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
One thing that would be a deal breaker for me is more than 2 months of 30 or lower temps. Thanks for the help.
It's a deal breaker then. Denver gets six months of 30 degree or lower temps.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
Quote:
Hello. I realize that the temperature would vary greatly depending on elevation, but I just want to know the overall climate of the major cities, Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, etc. Is it humid or dry? Does it get over 90 in the summer? How long is the summer? One thing that would be a deal breaker for me is more than 2 months of 30 or lower temps. Thanks for the help.
1. Dry and semi-arid. Brown from around October to April, unless there is snow on the ground.

2. Yes, all three cities do get above 90 in the summer--at least 20-50 days typically.

3. Summer in the lower elevations basically lasts from early June to mid-September, though it has snowed on both Memorial Day and Labor Day in some years. The frost-free period is generally from 130-160 days at the lower elevations, as little at 14 days in the high mountains.

4. Anyplace in Colorado is going to have nighttime temperatures below 30 for 150-180 days or more. Daytime temperatures with highs below 30 are fairly common in winter in the metro areas and nearly constant in the winter months at higher elevations.

All of this has been covered in dozens of other threads--do a search. Or go to Weatherbase - Travel, Vacation and Weather Averages and Records and research for yourself!

Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Humidity is very rare here, almost non-existent. Rarely does the temp get above 90 in summer, but it can and does. We do get an occasional cold spell in winter with -20F, but it doesn't last long. Climate here is rather mild compared to Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix, etc. LOTS of sunshine too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,662,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
1. Dry and semi-arid. Brown from around October to April, unless there is snow on the ground.

2. Yes, all three cities do get above 90 in the summer--at least 20-50 days typically.
This is correct. In Denver, the average number of days is about 35. Though over the past few years we have been around 50 days.

Quote:
3. Summer in the lower elevations basically lasts from early June to mid-September, though it has snowed on both Memorial Day and Labor Day in some years. The frost-free period is generally from 130-160 days at the lower elevations, as little at 14 days in the high mountains.
Denver gets summer temperatures starting in May. IF there is a freak snow event, it was likely preceded by several days where the high temp was in the low 80s.

Denver's average 1st snowfall date is October 19. Has it snowed in early September? Yes, but not often. Contrary to popular belief, Denver has NEVER experienced snow on both Memorial Day and Labor Day. Even if we get an early storm or a late storm, the temperatures during these snowstorms are usually in the 30 - 35 degree range. Plus, the temperatures are back to normal (mid 70s) within a day or two.

Quote:
4. Anyplace in Colorado is going to have nighttime temperatures below 30 for 150-180 days or more. Daytime temperatures with highs below 30 are fairly common in winter in the metro areas and nearly constant in the winter months at higher elevations.
I have to say that this is an exaggeration.

Denver's average lows are below 30 from November 1 to April 1. That is about 150 days. Does it get below 30 earlier than November 1 and later than April 1? Yes, but not 30 days worth. Low temperatures above 30 are not uncommon in the first few weeks of November or during March either.

Daytime highs are nearly always above 30 degrees. The average daily highs for November, December, and January in Denver are between 42 and 58 degrees. The mean temps for Dec and Jan are 30.3 degrees, and 29.2 degrees respectively. This means that the temp is higher than 30 degree about half the time during the coldest time of the year.

Denver will experience cold snaps, but they rarely last longer than a week.

Quote:
All of this has been covered in dozens of other threads--do a search. Or go to Weatherbase - Travel, Vacation and Weather Averages and Records and research for yourself!
The conditions that Jazzlover describes do exist in the mountains, and to some extent in the foothills about 6500 feet. They are NOT indicative of weather in the city of Denver.

You can check out all of this here.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM

601 posts, read 839,007 times
Just wanted to note that Denver had a record high temp of 84 today (April 2). The average humidity was 19%.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Just wanted to note that Denver had a record high temp of 84 today (April 2). The average humidity was 19%.
You won't be smiling when more fires crank off after this dry, warm spring. People should be praying for cool, wet weather.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,431,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
This is correct. In Denver, the average number of days is about 35. Though over the past few years we have been around 50 days.

Denver gets summer temperatures starting in May. IF there is a freak snow event, it was likely preceded by several days where the high temp was in the low 80s.

Denver's average 1st snowfall date is October 19. Has it snowed in early September? Yes, but not often. Contrary to popular belief, Denver has NEVER experienced snow on both Memorial Day and Labor Day. Even if we get an early storm or a late storm, the temperatures during these snowstorms are usually in the 30 - 35 degree range. Plus, the temperatures are back to normal (mid 70s) within a day or two.

I have to say that this is an exaggeration.

Denver's average lows are below 30 from November 1 to April 1. That is about 150 days. Does it get below 30 earlier than November 1 and later than April 1? Yes, but not 30 days worth. Low temperatures above 30 are not uncommon in the first few weeks of November or during March either.

Daytime highs are nearly always above 30 degrees. The average daily highs for November, December, and January in Denver are between 42 and 58 degrees. The mean temps for Dec and Jan are 30.3 degrees, and 29.2 degrees respectively. This means that the temp is higher than 30 degree about half the time during the coldest time of the year.

Denver will experience cold snaps, but they rarely last longer than a week.

The conditions that Jazzlover describes do exist in the mountains, and to some extent in the foothills about 6500 feet. They are NOT indicative of weather in the city of Denver.

You can check out all of this here.
Thanks so much. I was a bit scared after hearing 180 out of 365 days in the year were below 30 degrees. I think jazzlover included nighttime lows. I don't really care if its -100 degrees at night, since I'll be sleeping. When I say 30 degrees I mean 30 between dawn and dusk. So far it kinda looks like its 2, maybe 3 months where you can expect below 30 all day. By the way, how's the snowfall in Denver? People describe it as dry and semi-arid. Does this mean that it barely snows in the winter? I don't really like the cold that much but I would rather have a snowy day than 8 months of dry cold with all the dead trees and stuff. How depressing.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much. I was a bit scared after hearing 180 out of 365 days in the year were below 30 degrees. I think jazzlover included nighttime lows. I don't really care if its -100 degrees at night, since I'll be sleeping. When I say 30 degrees I mean 30 between dawn and dusk. So far it kinda looks like its 2, maybe 3 months where you can expect below 30 all day. By the way, how's the snowfall in Denver? People describe it as dry and semi-arid. Does this mean that it barely snows in the winter? I don't really like the cold that much but I would rather have a snowy day than 8 months of dry cold with all the dead trees and stuff. How depressing.
Why don't you read the climate summaries? Denver gets around 60" of snowfall in an average winter, but it comes in periodic storms. Chinook winds often melt it fairly quickly, so the ground is bare and brown a good part of a normal winter. Winter and spring tend to be pretty windy--with wind speed and frequency of high wind increasing as one gets closer to the foothills. 70 mph to 100 mph gusts are not uncommon in places like Golden and Boulder. Fort Collins is also pretty windy. Based on your last two sentences, expect to be depressed some in winter and early spring.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 PM
ndk

68 posts, read 263,012 times
Quote:
I don't really like the cold that much but I would rather have a snowy day than 8 months of dry cold with all the dead trees and stuff. How depressing.
Dry cold with dormant trees and grass is definitely the most apt description, except between the thin air, low humidity, and strong sunshine, it's really not all that cold.

If you like endless fields of (brown) grain, then the winter can be very pretty. You can also watch the storms over the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado