U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM

28 posts, read 84,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
kiddd74, have you been over to the Pueblo Nature Center/Raptor Center, and Coyote Grille restaurant off of Pueblo Blvd? Sweet place for the whole family, along the Arkansas River, can get a bit crowded esp. on summer weekends. Nice spot if you don't have time or inclination to get further out of town.
I've never been over there, but now it will be on my things to do list this week.... since I know the weekends will be packed with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 AM

28 posts, read 84,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Glad you like Pueblo! I think I know the area you live and its a great neighborhood. I have said many times if I did not have my families house on the south side that my grandparents had built in 1959 I would live in downtown.

As far as sloppers. You should try Sunset Inn and I am told 2 and 9 has goos sloppers too. Another place that has good chili is the restaurant in the bowling alley at midtown. There is a Wal-Mart on the south side of town of Pueblo BLVd and Northern.
Yes Josse Pueblo is a really cool place, I did think at first you were pulling my leg a little.... before I got here.... j/k. I think I got to worked up over silly stuff, and of course Pueblo newspaper "crimebeat" didnt help none. I know if you surround yourself with quality people, majority of the trouble out there in any city can be avoided. Most people set themselves and there family up for failure, with the people they hang around.

Oh I must say been to Colorado Springs to visit alot since I've been here. Really nice place, but to overcrowed for my taste. It always feel good at the end of the day driving back home to simplicity ie:Pueblo. Pretty soon in about 22 days I will have to make that trekk everyday up the road to Fort Carson. I must admit I'm not looking forward to it. not because of the commute, but just because its the Army..lol My fun will be officially over . My 54 day vacation/relocating time will be done....

Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM

13,729 posts, read 21,558,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddd74 View Post
Hey McGowdog... Red peppers would of been more texas style.. "just my opionion"
That's fine. I'm just saying, if you're gonna go with the green, you might want to use a tortilla instead of white processed-flour bread.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM

251 posts, read 506,435 times
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I found this discussion especially interesting. I'm back in Pueblo, where I was born and raised, on a part-time basis (splitting my time between Pueblo and my home in New Hampshire). It's very interesting and odd being back here after so many years. I'm not quite sure what to think.

I moved to Fort Collins in 1985 to go to CSU. Until that time, I'd lived my entire life in Pueblo (I was 30 when I moved). I stayed in Fort Collins for nine years, until I moved out to Portland, Oregon, to be with my (now) husband. We also lived in Switzerland and New York before going back to Fort Collins. We only left there because my husband got laid off three years ago and the job he found was in New Hampshire.

Just last week I rented an apartment in Pueblo to be near my parents, who are elderly and in poor health. I wanted to rent a place in Colorado Springs instead, but I couldn't find anything decent in my price range. I was very reluctant to come back to Pueblo, for reasons I find hard to explain. Part of it is the bad memories I have of living here (not the city's fault). I ended up renting here because I found a nice place in my meager price range, and I decided it was better to be close to my parents. And now that I'm here, I have such mixed feelings.

Driving around the old neighborhoods where I lived growing up is so strange. Things look so different. The house we lived in, which my dad took meticulous care of, is a mess now, with peeling paint and a broken-down car parked on what used to be the lawn (this is on Acero, right off of Thatcher). Across the street, the house my grandmother lived in for 40 years is in similar condition. She had a beautiful lawn and half a dozen huge elm trees that she spent all her money taking care of. The trees are gone, and there's nothing but dirt in the yard. It makes me so sad. The elementary school I went to--Lincoln--has been torn down. My junior high school--Keating--is no longer a school. Harding Glass, where I worked at one time, is no more.

Yet many things are the same. What I've always found hard to understand about Pueblo is why more people don't take pride in their homes. Another poster commented about this. I'm living in the Bessemer area right now, just blocks from Corwin Hospital. There are some really nice homes on my street, but many of them are in very sad shape. I find it depressing. Fort Collins has some areas where poor people live. Their homes are very modest. But almost everyone takes care of their property. Why isn't Pueblo the same? I've never understood that.

I'm happy to see some of the revitalization, like the river walk. But downtown is still so depressed. I got used to the vibrant Fort Collins downtown, where there was always something to do. What do the young people in Pueblo do for fun? Maybe that contributes to the crime rate here.

And about the crime rate... my mother mentioned the other night that when they watch the news, there are always a lot of reports about crime in Colorado Springs, but not that much about Pueblo. I don't know if that means anything, but I'll be interested in seeing what my new neighborhood is like. I'll be going back and forth between Pueblo and New Hampshire, which means my apartment will be unoccupied for a month or two at a time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any problems and that my new neighbors will keep their eyes open for me.

Thanks to those of you who posted about the music/art venues in Pueblo. I'll have to check them out.

As for Pueblo West, I lived there briefly in the mid-80s. I liked it then, but now the traffic on Highway 50 is a nightmare. I guess if you stay out there and don't come into town, it's fine. But I would NOT want to drive into town every morning and evening!

One of the best things about being back in Colorado? Easy access to green chile! I've had to come back each fall to get my chile, peel and chop it up, freeze it, and pack it into a styrofoam cooler to take back on the plane with me. No more of that! :-)

Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Your folks are not too far from a very nice area which is Aberdeen... maybe just north of Goodnight and east to Abriendo.

Another nice area is by Joss's area just south of the golf course along St Claire down to almost Northern and between Pueblo Blvd and Prairie. The Regency and El Camino area is nice, the areas near Parkview have some nice areas, and the northside near Centennial HS and north through the Ridge area to Eagleridge are nice... as well as the Walking Stick area, parts of The Mesa and parts of Pueblo West.

What can kids do? Idk... play or watch baseball, go to a show, go fishing and hunting, camping, hiking, bowling, go to Mesa Drive-in. Maybe they need an amusement park or something. There's Pueblo Motorsports Park, the nature Center... and kids can go to Springs and Denver once in a while... like to go to the museums, zoo, or a concert or sporting event.

I drove through to Longmont last weekend and you can have that Front Range traffic and smog.

Unfortunately, Pueblo is sort of mellow and laid back.

Oh... there's a few nice golf courses here and up in Colorado City as well.

When's the last time you checked out that Bishop's Castle?

Oh... something else kids should start doing maybe? Help their parents plant some trees and get that Lawn/Zeroscaping going.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 5,371 times
Here's the thing about Pueblo: there is a fairly high crime rate in comparison with a lot of other US cities. I wouldn't recommend living on the east side, and I'm not a fan of the far south side of town either. Economically speaking, the city is struggling, ever since the eighties when the steel mill and the power plant began to employ less and less and of the town's population.

Pueblo is a small city, too. It can be slow at times. But, I still love this place.

Pueblo is not boring if you know how to find fun. There is a huge effort to revitalize the city's art and community; and on any given weeknight you can find local bands downtown, house shows, open mics, and concerts at the PULP office on Union Ave. There are a number of churches launching massive efforts to build community gardens and front-yard gardens. There is a non-profit organization called GlassHouse Pueblo that just launched, and its whole mission is creating community through the arts, building event spaces and all-ages concert venues for those "criminal youths" who need something besides drugs and gangs to occupy their time. There are beautiful neighborhoods in Pueblo, gorgeous historic apartment buildings and homes, and the most affordable real estate in the state of Colorado. There are quiet suburbs where you can enjoy your retirement, and there are college bars where you can get your groove on with twenty-somethings. This is a city for everyone; and more than that, this city NEEDS everyone.

Pueblo is a place that is fighting for its right to live again. It's a slow process, trying to revitalize a city that has been stepped on for so many years, but it's beautiful to watch Pueblo pick itself up and keep going. I recommend living in Pueblo if you want to be a part of a community of people who are making things happen in a city that has been told for decades that it needs to give up.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,393,831 times
Pueblo's crime rate is not bad but why do you not like the far south side?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,310,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
My cousin is from santa fe and relocated to East Long Beach 9 years ago where its suppose to be gang infested like crazy.
That would actually be West and North Long Beach, unless she is in the part of the "east side" closer to Downtown or Little Cambodia.

Ok, back to Pueblo. FWIW, Schlosser, who wrote "Fast Food Nation", focused on several towns in Colorado to show the effect of fast food corporations on society. Pueblo was one of them. Good read on all cities he highlighted, though.

Just passed through Pueblo on I-25 but never went down into it. Colorado Springs was cool, though.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 20,393,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
That would actually be West and North Long Beach, unless she is in the part of the "east side" closer to Downtown or Little Cambodia.

Ok, back to Pueblo. FWIW, Schlosser, who wrote "Fast Food Nation", focused on several towns in Colorado to show the effect of fast food corporations on society. Pueblo was one of them. Good read on all cities he highlighted, though.

Just passed through Pueblo on I-25 but never went down into it. Colorado Springs was cool, though.
This goes a bit off topic but since its about Pueblo I will just say that fast food is not the issue but the amount people eat. Moderation is key.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 PM

You can Guinnea Pig Pueblo all you want with fast food joints, but the true story in Pueblo will always be its Mom n Pops.

All fast food is bad. Order anything off the menu and take a good hard look at your food. Does it look anything like the picture on the box or in the window? What's it make your car smell like on the way home? Subtract out the processed white flour and the processed white sugar and the corn based oils and the corn -fed meat byproduct and what are you left with?

There's no right amount of this garbage to eat.

No wonder half or more of America is obese and sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo's crime rate is not bad but why do you not like the far south side?
A lot of gang-banger-wannabe punks down there like to break your windshield and steal your hubcaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or