U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:13 AM

81 posts, read 231,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada1 View Post
What is the price range for a home in Aspen, or shouldn't I ask? I live in Las Vegas and a nice 2500 square foot home in a really nice neighborhood is $500,000 and up. Anything even near comparable in Aspen? I'd like to get down to the $500,000 range but think that Aspen may be the wrong place to try to do so.

You might be able to buy a parking spot for $500,000 and live in your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Say you had to live in either place for 2 years, and you were just able to afford a condo within walking distance of the main town/ski area. Which would you prefer and why?
That depends whether you want to snort the white powder or ski down it. No, just kidding! If in Aspen, you've got to stay at The Prospector (if it's still there) in the offseason and get a pad on the slope side with your own hot tub on the balcony and head over to the Flying Dog for some french onion soup and a beer, then head over to Little Nells for some soft shell crab, then in the morning, head over to Hunters Creek to walk that food and libations off, then back to Bentleys (sp??) for a dark and tan.

There could be a whole thread dedicated to Vail vs Aspen bashing.

If you ski Aspen, you might also check out Snow Mass. I know it was awesome back in the day. I wonder if Buttermilk isn't too shaby either. I'd bet that Vail has some pretty nice skiing as well, even though the lift lines are right there on I-70. Just joking again, although people from Aspen would use this as fuel to stoke their fire.

Either way, it's quite the dilemna.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jonna again.

Ha! Aint that the truth. Couldn't a person settle in Basalt or that back dirt road towards Aspen, or is this where the less fortunate and working class from Hollywood live?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

226 posts, read 1,111,159 times
if i had the money to live there, i would choose aspen. i like the trees, trails, and creeks nearby. not to mention the town, which is a clean, little, walkable town, but perhaps a bit too pretentious. maroon bells is nearby, too.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
That's pretty much what I figured. My wife and I are both attorneys, but we woudl probably have to struggle in Aspen to make ends meet. It doesn't seem worth it. I want to leave Las Vegas because seven figures for a home seems excessive.

Thansk.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 AM

133 posts, read 678,061 times
I hear the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Vail.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
I'm one of the people who passed up buying houses in Aspen for $35,000 ... back in the 1960's.

In a few years after that, the price of those litte old "tear-downs" in Aspen reached the $1,000,000 mark. They're now a lot more than that.

I've stayed in a lot of friend's condo's in Aspen, just blocks away from Galena Street ... that are now worth many millions of dollars. There's simply nothing about those places that would be noteworthy .... they're not fancy, they aren't ski-in/ski-out locations, they have no view except of the street and the adjacent condo building or some commercial frontage. You get the idea ... there's nothing exceptional about quality, size, finish, amenities, luxury, layout of these places except that they're in Aspen with it's overwhelmingly inflated property market. Parking for some is problematic.

Having helped a friend build out a non-winterized cabin up Castle Creek into a very nice 3,200 sq ft log house with a hot tub and deck right at the creek's edge (in the late 1970's to early 1990's) ... it went from a $250,000 property to a $3.7 mil place in less than 20 years. It got traded for a 1 bedroom condo in Aspen and a 2 bedroom condo in Snowmass .... better skiing access and much less work, but a poor trade-off, IMO. Summers and Fall in Aspen just aren't the same as at the old place ....

I've been in many friend's houses in the Aspen area where the lighting budget alone for their construction was well in excess of $1,000,000. Pretty spectacular showpieces, but not the type of place I'd like to live in ... the cleaning and maintenance alone each year is far in excess of what I'd justify for a place.

Well, what brings on this chain of thought? the above comment that the "billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Vail" ... not hardly. The centi-millionaires have been under a lot of pressure in Aspen by the billionaires and celebs for a long time (lots of middle eastern and european wealth present in the area, btw).

That's simply not the case in Vail. I just got this month's load of real estate flyers from Vail, and there's still a lot of very nice condos close into town that are available for mid 6 figures. IMO, a much better value for one's investment than Aspen, with much better access to the shopping needs of a resident in the Vail Valley area. On the higher price end ... a $3 mil place is Vail is pretty awesome ... while a $3 mil place in Aspen is almost just a starter place.

One might also consider that Vail gives access to the largest ski complex in the region, all from the in-town lifts ... Aspen is divided up into 4 different areas (3, really ... Buttermilk is targeted to beginners) which require transit to two outlying ski areas (it's not like Snowmass is just a few minutes away from Ajax, etc.)

Again, it all comes down to economics and what one expects to enjoy in the area. Both towns are very comparable for the outdoor activities and access, although I give Vail the nod for having Lake Dillon just over the hill from town.

If you need/want the notoriety of celebs and extreme wealth, and a lot of traffic congestion to get around, then Aspen's the place to be ... it's still a worthwhile destination for the proverbial $100 burger via light aircraft, so we still visit there several times each season.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

291 posts, read 1,883,715 times
I agree w/Sunsprit. We have owned a 2nd home in Vail for over 2 decades and have often considered Aspen. The towns have a lot of similarities, but here are my differences:

Skiing: The Vail areas are much better skiing. Aspen (Ajax) is a sub-par slope, way down the list from Steamboat, Vail, Copper, Keystone, Winter Park & Breckenridge. However, Snowmass is right up among them. Aspen Highlands is the best of the bunch, but it too is small...but what great runs!

The town: Aspen is more fun than Vail for the reasons already given. You can have lunch or stay in an 1800's-vintage building. However, much of this is asthetic. The towns seem to attract the same kind if visitors. True, you'll be rubbing elbows in Aspen with more glitteri than in Vail, but they are there because they're showing off, not great skiers.

The surrounding area: I like the Aspen trails and mountains better than Vail's in the summer, but neither area would disappoint you. Reudi is a nice place to camp but Dillon is much better for boating. The Eagle airport can land much larger aircraft, but you can almost go either way from there. Sardy Field can be a scary place.

Real Estate: Aspen is WAY more expensive than Vail. There are expensive properties in Vail, but there are affordable places, too. You can still buy a 1-BR condo in East Vail in the $300's. You can get a 2BR condo there in the 500's, and cheaper down valley. No houses, though.

Fortunately, both areas have good bus service so you don't need to live too close to town or the slopes and still get home safely, even with a good buzz. Our decision was narrowed by the fact that we work in Denver, and Vail is a much closer drive, especially in the winter when Independence Pass is closed. (BTW, if you drive Independence Pass, pull off at the narrows near Devil's Punchbowl and look over the wall and look at the cars that have gone over the side. Remember, I. Pass is closed in the winter, so those cars went over in summer!)

The best part of living anywhere in Eagle or Pitkin Counties is that some of the most beautiful and skiable terrain in the state is within an hour or so drive. In summer we drive from Vail to Aspen for lunch, go to events like the Carbondale Mtn Festival, or in winter, ski either of the towns, or Sunlight Mtn, then soak in the Glenwood Hot Springs pool.

If skiing is the most important, the Vail areas (Vail, Beaver Creek, Arrowhead & Bachelor Gulch) are better not only for superior skiing, but you're also close to Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, and even Ski Cooper.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 AM

40 posts, read 256,683 times
Bill,

You said that you work in Denver. I am looking for a nice place to live with outdoor activities. I live in Las Vegas and we have to support a $1,000,000 home just to feel safe (well, relatively safe). It doesn't seem worth it anymore. Can we find a nice 1/2 acre property in Denver with maybe a 3,000 sq ft house for about $500,000? I asked about Aspen because there may be a job opportunity, but I don't want to struggle.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:41 AM

291 posts, read 1,883,715 times
I have 2 recommendations. 1) Choose Denver. You are close to the mountains and be 10 minutes from the Tech Center or less than 30 minutes to Downtown. Prices on nice homes start at $500k, very few places have 1/2 acre. My neighborhood has 1 to 2 acres, but prices start in the 600's. Lots of law firm employment. Downside: if you can only go to the mountains on weekends, you're stuck in heavy traffic on Sunday nights (we just return after 7pm)

2) Choose an area that near, but not in, a ski town. A town like Eagle or Glenwood Springs is close to the great outdoors, great skiing, and reasonably priced homes. Fewer legal jobs, but definately doable.

What is "safe"? Are you afraid of burglary, assault, murder? That just isn't a concern in Denver suburbs or Colorado mountain communities where homes are priced at $400k+. Because of that, 'gated' communities aren't in much demand here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or