U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The Big CO
198 posts, read 1,048,534 times
Reputation: 157

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Come live in Oklahoma and then say that. Please, don't insult the Front Range cities by comparing them to Oklahoma.

I think Pueblo would be just fine. The view isn't as great as from Colorado Springs, Denver, etc. but you have the same access to the mountains, and if you like the San Juans part of the state, you're closer than the rest of the Front Range.
Thank you. Pueblo is in the High Desert lands of Southern Colorado. These people need to spend some significant time in Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma and interact with the people. Then they can say and explain how that Pueblo and front range cities are like those states. Having spent significant time in all three of those states, they could not be more different than CO. The high plains east of the front range cities should be more compared to climatically, culturally, demogrpahically, etc. to the eastern plains in New Mexico or the high plains section of Texas. No way no how should Pueblo be compared to the midwest and Oklahoma. Thats a slap in the face of Pueblo's culture, history, food, and overall people. Pueblo, CO was part of Mexico before the treaty of hidalgo, as was over half of Colorado. We have large Latino cultures in our cities, and even that seperates us from the midwest. We have a dry climate, and that does as well.

All in all, to compare Pueblo to Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma is really a disservice to Pueblo and all of Colorado.

Pueblo -- PHOTO TOUR

Look at this photo tour and see the drastic differences. Pueblo is in the high desert. Don't judge Pueblo on use to having large steel mills that were running and all that. Judge it by what it is today, its culture, and interact with the people. It sure does NOT belong to the midwest or Oklahoma. No knock to those states, but is does not have the CO feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
j1n j1n started this thread
 
Location: Southeast of the Northwest Territories
1,233 posts, read 4,053,309 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wut?

Six hours? I've got a map here that says 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Even better!
I said 6 hrs based on distance to a certain special spot in the SJ's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,736 posts, read 21,588,383 times
Reputation: 13334
Oh ok I understand now.

I've got a special spot I like to get to in Colorado and it takes me about 8 and a half hours... I like to call it "Home from work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
 
152 posts, read 333,953 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Come live in Oklahoma and then say that. Please, don't insult the Front Range cities by comparing them to Oklahoma.

I think Pueblo would be just fine. The view isn't as great as from Colorado Springs, Denver, etc. but you have the same access to the mountains, and if you like the San Juans part of the state, you're closer than the rest of the Front Range.
Geographically the area east of the mountains looks like all the states that I mentioned. Culturally, between the ranches, endless prairies, horrible farm smells, rodeos, and conservative nature of most of the small towns, this area is just an extension of the Great Plains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM
 
20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Reputation: 18194
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh ok I understand now.

I've got a special spot I like to get to in Colorado and it takes me about 8 and a half hours... I like to call it "Home from work".
Dog....you're gonna LOVE retirement someday; hopefully sooner than later.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Colorado
486 posts, read 1,239,995 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
Thank you. Pueblo is in the High Desert lands of Southern Colorado. These people need to spend some significant time in Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma and interact with the people. Then they can say and explain how that Pueblo and front range cities are like those states. Having spent significant time in all three of those states, they could not be more different than CO. The high plains east of the front range cities should be more compared to climatically, culturally, demogrpahically, etc. to the eastern plains in New Mexico or the high plains section of Texas. No way no how should Pueblo be compared to the midwest and Oklahoma. Thats a slap in the face of Pueblo's culture, history, food, and overall people. Pueblo, CO was part of Mexico before the treaty of hidalgo, as was over half of Colorado. We have large Latino cultures in our cities, and even that seperates us from the midwest. We have a dry climate, and that does as well.

All in all, to compare Pueblo to Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma is really a disservice to Pueblo and all of Colorado.

Pueblo -- PHOTO TOUR

Look at this photo tour and see the drastic differences. Pueblo is in the high desert. Don't judge Pueblo on use to having large steel mills that were running and all that. Judge it by what it is today, its culture, and interact with the people. It sure does NOT belong to the midwest or Oklahoma. No knock to those states, but is does not have the CO feel.
easy CoNative,
I have lived all over north America and travel (by land) frequently so I'd say I know a thing or two about these places.

I'm not suggesting that Pueblo is a bad place - it has it's own unique culture and feel and some things about it I really like, including the large hispanic population.

HOWEVER, the OP was asking if living in Pueblo would somehow cause him/her to feel "cheated" from the Colorado experience or feel of Colorado.
I happen to agree with his sentiment, because I have lived it. (Worked in Pueblo for two years.)
Pueblo is a great city, but it just doesn't scream "Rocky Mountain High" to me. When the temperature is soaring up past 100 degrees and there is not a ponderosa pine in sight, it sure feels a lot more like Nebraksa than, say, Sailda or Evergreen Colorado.

Colorado has a lot of different places with a wealth of diversities, for sure, (and that is a strength, imho) but when you drive into Pueblo, you're not gonna see a sign saying "Now this is Colorado!"

"Home of Heroes" - sure. But when I am in some far off land and close my eyes to dream of Colorado, Pueblo sure as heck is not the vision that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Silverthorne, Colorado
884 posts, read 1,470,391 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Geographically the area east of the mountains looks like all the states that I mentioned. Culturally, between the ranches, endless prairies, horrible farm smells, rodeos, and conservative nature of most of the small towns, this area is just an extension of the Great Plains!
Actually, most of Oklahoma looks nothing like CO's eastern plains. Maybe the panhandle and the counties directly bordering the TX Panhandle, but that's about it.

Pueblo is much better than Oklahoma and the rest of the Great Plains region in general.

I think you're forgetting the Front Range and Pueblo's PROXIMITY to better things, aka the Rocky Mountains. That's what sets them apart. The Front Range and Pueblo are also MUCH MORE forward-thinking and less backwards. I would know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
 
Location: The Big CO
198 posts, read 1,048,534 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
easy CoNative,
I have lived all over north America and travel (by land) frequently so I'd say I know a thing or two about these places.

I'm not suggesting that Pueblo is a bad place - it has it's own unique culture and feel and some things about it I really like, including the large hispanic population.

HOWEVER, the OP was asking if living in Pueblo would somehow cause him/her to feel "cheated" from the Colorado experience or feel of Colorado.
I happen to agree with his sentiment, because I have lived it. (Worked in Pueblo for two years.)
Pueblo is a great city, but it just doesn't scream "Rocky Mountain High" to me. When the temperature is soaring up past 100 degrees and there is not a ponderosa pine in sight, it sure feels a lot more like Nebraksa than, say, Sailda or Evergreen Colorado.

Colorado has a lot of different places with a wealth of diversities, for sure, (and that is a strength, imho) but when you drive into Pueblo, you're not gonna see a sign saying "Now this is Colorado!"

"Home of Heroes" - sure. But when I am in some far off land and close my eyes to dream of Colorado, Pueblo sure as heck is not the vision that comes to mind.
You're whole clame of "NOW THIS IS COLORADO" has flaws. For instance, if I am in the beautiful Sierra Nevada's in California, that may not scream California (most people think of LA, Bay Area, etc.). However, most everybody will also know that CA has tons of beautiful mountains as well. Most all the population in CO does nto reside in the mountains. Its true, most people whink of CO and other states in this region as mountainous first. However, most people know CO has plenty of high desert land and high plains. Its the same with New Mexico. Maybe places on the high plains in NM do not scream New Mexico, but they are still a large and significant part of the state.

Pueblo feels like NE??? Pueblo is high desert terrain. When you are in La Junta/Rocky Ford and you head west, it slowly grinds into high desert land when you approach Pueblo. Its the same when you head south of the springs on I-25, and about a good 25-30 miles before you reach Pueblo, it turns into high desert. Nebraska sure does not have anything remotely close to high desert. I know NE can get hot as well, but Pueblo has something like 80 days of 90 or above, and like 10-15 days of 100 or more a year. So the climate is way different. Overall, CO is a dry climate, not humid like most all of Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, etc.

East of the front range in CO is more close to the eastern plains in New Mexico and the high plains in West Texas. Large Latino populations, arid, low rainfall. Not to mention, the plains states don't normally have scattered canyons, buttes, and mesas on there plains. The Black Mesa in Oklahoma is the only one that comes to mind, and even over half of that is in New Mexico and Colorado. Colorado and New Mexico have scattered canyons, buttes, and mesas on our plains. Nebraska has absolutely zero spanish influence, like our plains in CO, NM, and TX. The only city on the plains in the midwest that has any sort of SW influence is Garden City.

I see your comparisons in the fact that they are plains and have farms, but that really is the only similarity. Climate, people, and other features of our plains make the area MUCH different. I was most of all saying that Pueblo is in the high desert, and is NOTHING like those states you mentioned. If anyone spends any significant time in cities in Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma, they will quickly realize CO cities are WAY different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Avondale, AZ
1,207 posts, read 4,150,731 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
...feel cheated?

But is this mindset a common one? Do folks move to the front range, rubbing their hands together because they've found a way to make CO work... only to find out that if you want the true CO experience, you do have to shell out the $$ for a Boulder or a Gunnison?
Hope that all makes some sense...
I understand completely, maybe out of sheer ignorance or a stereotypical vision of Colorado. When we looked at Colorado Springs there wasn't a whole lot to differentiate it from many other cities, especially the newer developements east of I25. We really felt that the Woodmoor area in Monument met our expectations of what living in Colorado should resemble, at least within our needs and budget.
This is the view from our rear deck>

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,337 posts, read 10,510,395 times
Reputation: 13333
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
This is the view from our rear deck>
Very pleasant. I may wish to join you for Thanksgiving this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top