U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 AM

15 posts, read 57,427 times

Advertisements

Hi - new to the boards, but I've been reading all the threads and can't seem to find one that addresses my situation. A lot of the posts deal with college students or families. I'm a 37 yr old single female, no children, looking to move to Co. I'm very active and would like to be in an area where I could go hiking, etc. but will need to be close to a city for work, I'm a cpa. Also looking for decent nightlife.

Thought about Boulder, Golden..............

Any suggestions???? Thanks so much for your help!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 PM

423 posts, read 1,774,814 times
Even though Ft Collins is a college town, I think there is a diverse group of people that live here. I know a lot of 30-40 singles here. There are the college bars around but there are also several more laid back relaxed bars. One of my favorites is the Crown Pub which is down town Ft Collins. I have also been to some in Denver area which are laid back. don't know if you are looking for a big city or smaller community. Ft Collins has a better night life than Loveland. We are about 45-60 minutes from Denver. Sorry but I don't know much about Golden or Boulder. Good Luck in your search.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your reply Tom. I'm gathering all the information I can before I take a trip out - I'll definitely check out Ft. Collins!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:54 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,514,509 times
Boulder and Golden are both nice places to live, though Golden won't have much in the way of nightlife.

Why not start your search in Denver? It has the charming neighborhoods, the nightlife, the central location, and some of the biggest employment centers. The suburbs can be cheaper, of course, but Golden and Boulder wouldn't be in that category.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM

156 posts, read 875,054 times
Are you looking for a somewhat big city to start? I would start in the Denver metro area, recreation is all around. Parks and bike paths are all around also.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,467,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDreamer View Post
Hi - new to the boards, but I've been reading all the threads and can't seem to find one that addresses my situation. A lot of the posts deal with college students or families. I'm a 37 yr old single female, no children, looking to move to Co. I'm very active and would like to be in an area where I could go hiking, etc. but will need to be close to a city for work, I'm a cpa. Also looking for decent nightlife.

Thought about Boulder, Golden..............

Any suggestions???? Thanks so much for your help!:
Boulder has good nightlife but is very expensive to buy, rent and generally live in. Do you have an idea of how much you want to spend on housing? Are you planning on getting a job before you move?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,742,075 times
Single, 38 year old living in Colorado Springs.

It's a lot more laid back than the Denver Metro area but lots of active people here, accounting (CPA) seems to be one of those jobs that are always needed (just like any city of course).

A few of the people that I have known through the years live up in Woodland Park and commute (although I wouldn't want to in the middle of winter but that's strictly a personal thing because of my car) to all points in Colorado Springs. It seems to be cheaper up there than some of the towns in the foothills west of Denver. Heck, have even heard of some army folks that live up there and commute to Ft. Carson.

C Springs is growing up so there is a lot to do. Manitou is a great small town (although connected on it's southeastern border to C Springs) that hugs Pikes Peak like no other town in the immediate area. Active, more natural people and since it border C Springs, you get the bigger city ammenities

Anyhow, just a couple of suggestions from down south a bit.

EDIT - I don't have kids either.

Last edited by COflower; 07-30-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a lot of research to do! I can't wait to get out there and drive around.

I'm moving from Naperville, IL, but lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago for 5 years before that and grew up in Florida. I'm ready for a completely different place and have always loved going to Co on vacation - I'm sure living there is different, but I just have such a desire - I'm leaving my extended family to go. Washington Park in Denver sounds a lot like Lincoln Park in Chicago - it was great living there, but I think I'm really a small town girl at heart.

Right now and when I lived downtown - I pay $1,350 for rent. I'm looking to rent when I get there to get a chance to really know the areas. Hopefully the rent is a bit cheaper than here!

Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs sound like great places. Thanks COflower! And sounds like the scenic views from there can't be beat! As for being single, I'm not that in to the bar scene but a nice neighborhood pub is always a good thing. And I hope to find some groups that go camping, hiking, snowmobiling, etc.

I guess the first place I should start is finding a job. Seems to be quite a few all over. I'm going to contact some recruiters I know to put me in touch with some out there.

I'm so glad I found these boards - you all are the best! Thanks again - wish me luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 PM

168 posts, read 551,830 times
Default Other options

Hi - Lone Tree & Highlands Ranch are very popular suburbs for those who work in downtown Denver or the Denver Tech Center (DTC). Parker is growing and has interesting developments and a very cute downtown - this is a small town, but has all one could want. Suggest looking for an online map of Denver and surrounding areas to get a good feel for proximity. Good luck! Sumisu

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
Nightlife: Denver is the mother lode. A smattering in all other locales.

Single & Child Free: Denver is best fit. Worst fit seems to all the suburban SFH communities full of families.

CPA work: Constant diddling with tax codes = full employment for CPA's. Check the COL SPGS Chamber of Commerce for professional contacts: The Greater Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce

Hiking: For mountain hiking, COL SPGS is closest to mountains with many great venues. In Denver area, mountains are west of town. Golden may be a good bet for that, I'm sure there are others.

Views: COL SPGS has great views (you've seen the ones from my house). West side of Denver is fine too for views.

Weather: My nod goes to COL SPGS. Denver sits in a bowl, can get dirty air on some days in summer, is hotter in summer. COL SPGS is cooler, air is known to be much better. Winters are relatively mild, subject to occasional heavy snows, summer boomers with hail, but MILLIONS of people live here, so that tells me not to worry.

Colleges: Boulder and Fort Collins are the biggies, followed by Golden, COL SGPS, parts of Denver.

Traffic: COL SPGS is my favorite larger city, you can get from downtown to foothill hiking and livable communities in 15-30 minutes, and there are lots of quaint charming older homes just off downtown, east or west side, allowing you to walk or bicycle to work or coffee.

No matter where you land out here, YOU'RE GONNA LOVE COLORADO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or