U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 PM

168 posts, read 551,687 times

Advertisements

Hi Dolphins -

My family was transferred from Denver to New York for work when I was five. Moved to Colorado in 1980; mainly to ski and never went back. Many people who haven't lived here think the winters are cold, harsh, Alaskan type cold. The altitude and 300+ days of sun make Colorado winters wonderful. The ski areas tend to be in the 8000 ft.+ altitude range, so there is more dramatic weather there. I've never had snow tires on my car and almost never wear a coat during the winter - it's the sun! It's wonderful. Most Colorado residents are also quite tan - again, awesome, warm sun. Good luck! Sumisu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 AM

456 posts, read 1,414,842 times
I'm moving to Denver from Chicago. Now as you all know Chicago winters can be BRUTAL..with highs in the single digits at times. 32 degrees is considered "warm weather". I think I can handle a Denver winter over Chicago any day, lets hope!

Can't wait to be moving.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM

7,045 posts, read 15,984,088 times
We have lived in the Denver metro area (Englewood/Parker) for 5 years now. We were here for the BIG blizzard in the Spring 2003 and a another blizzard (called it the Holiday Blizzard) this last December right before Christmas. Talk about a LOT of snow.....WOW. Anyway, a lot of the Denver metro locals love to say the word "mild", but we don't necessarily see why. I'm originally from northeast Indiana and I've seen it snow here and it was very much like I had in Indiana. My wife is from Michigan and she has seen the same. Neither of us EVER experienced snow during Halloween week or on Mother's Day Weekend and that has happened since we moved here. We love the 4 seasons (including snow) but just can no longer handle it here. If you are looking for a "mild" winter climate.......Charlotte, NC only gets 5 inches of the white stuff in the winter. That is where we are heading. I fell (OUCH) during the Holiday Blizzard and ended up having shoulder surgery and had hip replacement surgery in 2005. Don't want to fall again and become totally disabled.
If you do decide to move here, be sure to have a snow shovel or snow blower ready to use.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
Not to beat a dead horse here, but if you want to absolutely guarantee that you won't have to slip on ice again, I don't think even North Carolina is your best choice. Not sure about NC in particular but I know that areas at similar latitude like TN, southern MO, northern AR, etc, get ice storms in the winter. What you are looking for is more like Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, or a city in southern Florida. I hope your move works out for the best, but don't think you are totally immune to having winter weather problems there.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:03 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,373,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in CO where winters are minimal/mild and short?

Thank you so much
The weather is so crazy in CO, we often get 55 degree late at night in July and 70 degrees in Ferbuary. But again, sometimes we get snow in early June, so the weather is crazy!

I LOVE the weather and can tell you for sure: the 2006 crazy cold and snowy winter is NOT normal. Any CO will tell you that! Fear not; CO is wonderful!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 AM

835 posts, read 2,566,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The weather is so crazy in CO, we often get 55 degree late at night in July and 70 degrees in Ferbuary. But again, sometimes we get snow in early June, so the weather is crazy!

I LOVE the weather and can tell you for sure: the 2006 crazy cold and snowy winter is NOT normal. Any CO will tell you that! Fear not; CO is wonderful!
i love following the weather in colorado even though i do not live ther ( yet just 46 more days!) but i love it when its October and it 78 or 80 outside and the weatherman is showing the winter storm warnings for 10-20'' of the white stuff, i know its hard to believe that 24 hours after a snowstorm just the day before it was like summer but that makes Colorado, especially the front range so interesting

Old 08-01-2007, 09:57 AM

7,045 posts, read 15,984,088 times
Yes, the weather here "can" get quite CRAZY!! I remember, got photos/video of it also, a snowstorm that hit us in April of this year (2007). It snowed fairly hard on a Tuesday & Wednesday, but on the following Saturday the temperature was in the high 70's and there were boats on Chatfield and Cherry Creek Reserviors.
Also, if the winter weather gets to bad in North Carolina, we will just have to find somewhere else to live......but NOT So. Calif, Arizona, Nevada, but "possibly" Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
i love following the weather in colorado even though i do not live ther ( yet just 46 more days!) but i love it when its October and it 78 or 80 outside and the weatherman is showing the winter storm warnings for 10-20'' of the white stuff, i know its hard to believe that 24 hours after a snowstorm just the day before it was like summer but that makes Colorado, especially the front range so interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado