U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 PM

22 posts, read 91,608 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in CO where winters are minimal/mild and short?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 04:47 PM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in CO where winters are minimal/mild and short?

Thank you so much
Mild? Most of the Front Range. Minimal and short? Probably nowhere in the state. Winter here on the Front Range, as in snowfall, can start in Sept and end in May, once in a rare while a snow in June. But there are weeks and weeks of warm, sunny weather between the snowfalls, esp in spring and fall.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-29-2007 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-29-2007, 04:49 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
There's been a LOT of posts on this topic. Search the forums.

I think my consensus is: WE think that Colorado winters are mild, but we live here. You may not agree. Winter is actually not all that long here, but people will vehmently argue that point because spring here can be very wintry at times.

If mild winters are really what you're looking for, we're probably not your top spot. Most people here are here to enjoy the snow-capped peaks, the skiing, our incredible snow, the mountains, etc. While our winters are probably milder than commonly believed, if you're looking for a snow-free winter, better look elsewhere. Try San Diego, for instance.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 PM

63 posts, read 305,747 times
Mild compared to the East,most who move here from there say...

Western Slope tends to be more mild than the Denver area . Colorado feels much more mild due to the lake of humidity.

HM

Old 07-29-2007, 05:21 PM

22 posts, read 91,608 times
Thank you all very much. I am from long island, ny, where our winters are long and bitter cold in my opinion. i don't mind a change of season, but i am looking for a short mild winter. we have to leave L.I. because of poor quality of life, too expensive, etc. anyone else have any info about mild winters in CO, or anywhere in the west?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:30 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Thank you all very much. I am from long island, ny, where our winters are long and bitter cold in my opinion. i don't mind a change of season, but i am looking for a short mild winter. we have to leave L.I. because of poor quality of life, too expensive, etc. anyone else have any info about mild winters in CO, or anywhere in the west?
Tfox just answered your question! Please look up the tremendous amount of discussion we have already had on this topic. I don't know why anybody would move to Colorado for mild winters. There's a place that has what you are looking for-- it's called Arizona. Post your question on their message board. Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix or Tucson, pick your choice.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:30 PM

835 posts, read 2,567,271 times
if i had a say i' think pueblo's winter would be most tolerable, unlike the denver area they are less likely to get a massaive march/april blizzard but i woulndt say its unexpected

Old 07-29-2007, 05:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
I think the term 'mild' is relative. I'll give you my opinion though. We moved from San Diego where winters are a non event. We wore shorts and t-shirts in the summer and shorts and sweatshirts in the 'winter'. After 3 winters here, including the worst in many years, I would refer to the winters here as 'mild'. Maybe I'm delusional from the altitude. I work for a company in the Northeast and the winters here seem much milder. The snow is lighter and doesn't sit around for months. You don't see the mountains of plowed snow in the corner of parking lots here.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Grand Junction has the most mild winters of anywhere in the state. (I've live there.)

They aren't short but it doesn't snow much and it doesn't get the winds and potential for blizzards like the Front Range from Ft. Collins south to the New Mexico border.

Keep in mind though, it is desert so it can get up in the triple digits in the summer very easily.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Winter is actually not all that long here, but people will vehmently argue that point because spring here can be very wintry at times.
That would be me.
Yes, winter is mild, but it can begin in the fall and grind on right through spring.
Doesn't always happen, but it occurs often enough, especially in spring.
The lack of humidity keeps the cold from biting too hard, though that very dryness can be harsh on the skin.As others have said, there has already been a lot of discussion on this, as well as cost of living. Dolphins,you might want to use the Search button (top middle of the page.)
Quote:
While our winters are probably milder than commonly believed, if you're looking for a snow-free winter, better look elsewhere. Try San Diego, for instance.
Or *north* Florida.
We get a real change of seasons, but rarely any snow (none measurable since the 80's); winter weather mostly consists of February.
And you don't have to give up the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado