U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: University of Colorado vs Colorado State University
University of Colorado 22 59.46%
Colorado State University 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 AM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I think that this is because a higher percentage of CSU's students come from Colorado. Both schools have a pretty large enrollment (over 25,000 undergrads at each) but CU draws more from around the country and world than does CSU. Because Colorado is a fairly "down to earth" state, the higher percentage of Colorado students may explain CSU being a little more down to earth as well.

That's my best guess. I don't think it has much to do with Boulder, per se, because a lot of students at CU aren't even from Boulder. It does reinforce the snooty reputation of the area, but I don't think it explains it. If that makes sense.
According to US News (from information supplied by the college), CU's student body is 67% instate; at CSU it is 84%. But who is to say that someone is more "down to earth" b/c they are from Colorado? The largest proportion of out of state students at CU is from California. In fact, someone from California told me they call it "The University of California at Boulder".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But who is to say that someone is more "down to earth" b/c they are from Colorado?
I suppose it's all a matter of perception. I've lived on the West Coast (Los Angeles, San Diego, and now Monterey) and in the Washington D.C. area, as well as Denver. Colorado is down to earth compared to the coasts. Los Angeles is as fake as a three dollar bill, and Washington D.C. is simply the most rude and inconsiderate place I've ever set foot in. I've never lived in the mid-west, but I have friends who have and they don't really think Colorado is down to earth.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM

276 posts, read 583,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In fact, someone from California told me they call it "The University of California at Boulder".
I have a couple of friends who went to CU and said the same thing. I went up there a few times and saw A LOT of California license plates, too.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
CU has had a long reputation as a party school for out-of-state spoiled brats. While that characterization can unfairly tar the many Colorado students who attend there (and I know a number of CU grads), the is no denying the "spoiled rich kid" vibe that can pervade CU. Academically, CU is OK, but, in a lot of its offerings, is not a shining star. I attended a small Colorado liberal arts college, and I got every bit as good, if not better education than did my contemporaries who attended CU.

CSU, being a land grant college, has a larger number of in-state Colorado students--a fair number of them from the rural parts of Colorado. CSU also has a large curriculum devoted to natural resources--agriculture, forestry, range management, etc., and that attracts a different student clientèle than does a lot of CU's programs. Overall, it think CSU offers a better, more rounded educational environment than does CU. Choosing between the two towns, I would far prefer being in Fort Collins than Boulder.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I attended a small Colorado liberal arts college, and I got every bit as good, if not better education than did my contemporaries who attended CU.
I actually agree with this, even as a CU grad. Like in so many other products and services, in education, you pay for a name. CU isn't the best name on the market, but it's up there. Even if the actual quality of instruction and education is not necessarily any better than small and lesser known schools. It's really about what the individual puts into it.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM

884 posts, read 1,463,407 times
As a Buff starting this fall, I'm going with CU.

To me, it just seems better. Like you mentioned, it gets far more world recognition than CSU does, so it's really the flagship school of Colorado itself.

CSU does have the National Hurricane Prediction Center. I'll give it that.

I just love how close they are. It makes it easy to visit friends.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
CU has had a long reputation as a party school for out-of-state spoiled brats. While that characterization can unfairly tar the many Colorado students who attend there (and I know a number of CU grads), the is no denying the "spoiled rich kid" vibe that can pervade CU. Academically, CU is OK, but, in a lot of its offerings, is not a shining star. I attended a small Colorado liberal arts college, and I got every bit as good, if not better education than did my contemporaries who attended CU.

CSU, being a land grant college, has a larger number of in-state Colorado students--a fair number of them from the rural parts of Colorado. CSU also has a large curriculum devoted to natural resources--agriculture, forestry, range management, etc., and that attracts a different student clientèle than does a lot of CU's programs. Overall, it think CSU offers a better, more rounded educational environment than does CU. Choosing between the two towns, I would far prefer being in Fort Collins than Boulder.
Urban legend. I posted data that 67% of the undergrads are from CO.

Tuition is comparble for in-state.

Costs of Attendance - Student Financial Services - Colorado State University
CU-Boulder Tuition and Fees

I think for the programs that both have, CU is better. They are the more basic research oriented school, with several Nobel Prize winners in the sciences. I think for the resource management stuff, CSU is the one.

There is a joke among the CU students:

Q: What do CU students and CSU students have in common?
A: They all got into CSU!

CU's admission standards are a tad higher.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM

601 posts, read 838,587 times
CU ranked #1 for the atomic/molecular/optical physics program, tied with MIT. They earned several top 10 rankings from U.S. News & World Report in the 2012 edition of "Best Graduate Schools."
U.S. News: CU-Boulder's atomic physics program ties with MIT for No. 1 - Boulder Daily Camera
GO BUFFS!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM

276 posts, read 583,482 times
For me, it would come down to the town where the school is located. Boulder and Fort Collins are comparable in size, but they are very different. If you come from a yuppity, wealthy family, you would probably choose CU. But, if you come from a laid back, middle class family or you live in a rural area, you would probably go with CSU.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
For me, it would come down to the town where the school is located. Boulder and Fort Collins are comparable in size, but they are very different. If you come from a yuppity, wealthy family, you would probably choose CU. But, if you come from a laid back, middle class family or you live in a rural area, you would probably go with CSU.
You are going there for an education. The town is irrelvant, in that respect. Even though Boulder v Ft. Collins is a personal preference, I'd take Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or