U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: University of Colorado vs Colorado State University
University of Colorado 22 59.46%
Colorado State University 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,206,873 times

Advertisements

Between the two, I'd pick CU Boulder, hands down. Boulder is basically a utopian, picture perfect college town, tons to do, beautiful campus.

However, that being said, every single person I've known who went to CSU absolutely loved it there. Some of them didn't even want to leave Fort Collins when they graduated. So really, they're both good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)

10,318 posts, read 10,471,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Metro has always (for the last 30 years anyway) been a 4 year college.
Oh, I know it's a 4 year college. I was comparing it to a community college because when my wife attended there she didn't even have to apply. Just registered for some classes and showed up. I understand that they have an application now, which furthers my belief that the school is moving to become a more traditional university. Which is a good thing if you ask me. It's good for Colorado and the City of Denver.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,206,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Oh, I know it's a 4 year college. I was comparing it to a community college because when my wife attended there she didn't even have to apply. Just registered for some classes and showed up. I understand that they have an application now, which furthers my belief that the school is moving to become a more traditional university. Which is a good thing if you ask me. It's good for Colorado and the City of Denver.
It's still not a "traditional" university and will never be, regardless of the name change. The limited student housing for the Auraria campus is not even walking distance from the campus.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM

13,947 posts, read 13,596,473 times
Quote:
...a higher percentage of CSU's students come from Colorado. Both schools have a pretty large enrollment but CU draws more from around the country...
When I went to CU in the 1970's, it seemed as if half the student body was from out of state. A lot of east coast kids came to Colorado to "get warm" or away from the pressures of the Ivy League school that their parents had wanted them to attend. (My roommate in the dorm was from N.J. and her SAT scores were off the charts; very intimidating to me at the time.)

Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 AM

27 posts, read 78,055 times
Colorado university is a way better college and is the highest ranked college in Colorado and Boulder is a great community to live in.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,403,762 times
Quote:
How do Colorado's two largest universities compare, head to head? Does Colorado favor one over the other?

Here are some categories for comparison:

Research and Academics
Sports: Buffaloes vs Rams
Faculty
National/International Recognition
Campuses (which is nicer, more scenic)
Student Life

What are your thoughts, Colorado posters?
Also, how many of you attended one of these universities?
I'm out of state now until I retire for good, then I'll be pissing off a lover of a certain type of music by moving back to drink his water and crowd his native borns.

However, I attended CU-graduate engineering, and I took a good hard look at CSU for engineering (and later for other reasons, but ended up not applying to that field/position), so I hope I am qualified to comment. I know next to nothing about the other CU and CSU campuses, but Boulder and Fort Collins, I feel comfortable talking about.

Research depends on your field. CU has far more world-class majors and specialties, but CSU has a few that it beats CU in.

Sports: no comparison. Buffs.

Faculty: No real basis for comparison here. I was perfectly satisfied at CU, and it has more 'superstars', but you won't be taking class from superstars typically.

Recogition: CU. I am out of state now. Nobody even recognizes CSU when it comes up. CU is known.

Campuses: I prefer CSU.

Student life: honestly, I think CSU had it going on. It depends on what you want, though.

Edge to CU for the simple reason it's larger with more recogition and resources. But that's a lot like saying that your Acura (CSU) isn't as well-recognized or quite as good as your BMW (CU). No duh it's not as good. But there's certainly nothing wrong with it, especially in comparison to other universities in other states.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,188,488 times
How timely.

CU-Boulder is Playboy's 'Top Party School' for 2011 (The link is *not* to Playboy!)

In all seriousness, I like GeorgiaTransplant's even-handed post.
Especially the phrase "it depends on what you want."
That phrase, paired with "what you are bringing to the table," will determine what kind of education you get.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,054 times
Much of the comparison between CU and CSU on these threads is out of date. I don't recall the exact figures, but the last U.S. News annual notes CU's acceptance rate in the low 80% range while CSU's acceptance rate is in the low 70% range. The schools also offer some different programs so can't be compared. For example, CSU's j-program is the only fully accredited j-program in the state. CSU research grants are, I believe, the second highest in the country for a college without a medical school. Outdated images are slow to go away. Compare programs to come to a realistic conclusion as to which school is best for you.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
^^It's still harder to get in to CU.

http://highered.colorado.gov/Publica...artf-index.pdf

AFAIK, these standards haven't changed. In fact, they haven't really changed since my older daughter was a HS senior in the 2001-02 school year.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Harder to get into? Honestly what is there, a 5% difference? Both of these schools aren't exactly legendary when it comes to national rankings, and since there is a clear conflict of interest since you talk about CU like it's Dartmouth, idk how anyone could take your words seriously. It doesn't matter where you go, it matters what you make of your situation. Both of these schools kind of pale in comparison to a lot of other state schools in all honesty, neither of these schools has anything on U of M Ann Arbor or Wisconsin. These schools are easy to get into compared to DU, especially Colorado College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or