U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Colorado hotels, restaurants, affordable homes, public transport in safe neighborhoods

Old 08-27-2006, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,743 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating to the West from the Northeast. We are taking a trip to Colorado next week, and would like help with some recommendations:

1. We plan on staying in the Denver area for about 3 nights. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel/motel/inn in a very safe and convenient location, for no more than about $70/night?

2. Any restaurant recommendations?

3. (The hard one that everyone is looking for!) We are looking for a list of towns/suburbs to live in that are very safe, have good schools, are upscale, have good access to shopping/culture/transportation/etc., and where you can get a nice, but not grand, home for no more than $300-400K. We're considering anywhere from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins.

Also, how hard is it to get tickets to the major Denver professional sports teams? Do they tend to sell out or can you get tickets without holding season tickets?

We'd be grateful for any advice you could all offer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 PM

10,685 posts, read 28,521,259 times
all teams except broncos easy to get tix for. 300-400 will get the most house for the dollar in Colorado Springs, ft collins or greeley.

the rest depends on what you like and don't like. CS is more conservative, denver more liberal, ft collins/greeley more small town like.

you are covering a lot of ground from cs to ft collins. about 3-4 hours of highway driving.

300-400 buys a nice place in the areas you are considering. what else are you wanting in a community? new homes? older? walkable neighborhood, near light rail, close to the airport?

we can point you in the right direction of we know more of what you want to come home to.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 PM

226 posts, read 1,111,861 times
i guess highlands ranch (a suburb of denver) could be considered upscale. the schools are supposedly good. crime is low. the population tends to be educated and well-paid. transportation wouldn't be a problem as you would be near major highways and near the light rail. the light rail runs all the way to downtown denver with stops at coor's field (rockies), invesco field (broncos), pepsi center (avalanche, nuggets), etc.

the houses in highlands ranch tend to be smallish and crammed together. highlands ranch is not a cultural hotspot. there is little diversity among the population.

other places to consider:

littleton
boulder
fort collins

Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,743 times
Thanks for the responses so far.

2bindenver wanted more specifics of what we're looking for, so I'll try at risk of sounding picky. We definitely want more liberal or centrist than conservative. Neither my husband or I are very religious. So far, it doesn't sound like Colorado Springs is for us.

Honestly, we're semi-boring, well-educated yuppies who like an atmosphere that's somewhat upscale but where you don't feel like you have to keep up with the Joneses. We like access to good restaurants with a variety of cuisines, and a nice walkable downtown would be good. Neither of us care at all about nightlife/clubbing, and we intend to have children so won't have time for it anyway. We're happy to go into Denver or other cities for culture, as long as where we live isn't a total wasteland. Suburbs or a suburban-type neighborhood within a city are fine. Nice libraries are also very important, and good public services like pools and parks. I never thought I'd say it but a good mall nearby would be handy too. Near transportation (I guess there it's the light rail) would be nice, and of course near the airport would be good, but they're not deal-breakers. My husband is a huge sports fan which is why he wanted to know about ticket availability. Sounds like he's well covered in Denver!

As far as house types, I'm not too familiar with the style of the area. We don't mind newer construction, as long as a decent amount of trees have grown in and the houses look different from each other. I don't like when you can see for a mile and everything looks the same. I like Victorian/Colonial but I'm not sure that's available in the West. Houses set apart on at least 1/4 to 1/3 acre appeal most and I seem to have a thing for cul-de-sacs. A town center is also ideal as many sprawling suburbs don't seem to have them.

Of course, jobs are very important. My husband can work at home, but I'll have to work outside, likely in a corporate setting. I don't mind commuting up to 1/2 hour or 45 minutes, but any longer and there's no point in relocating. I have a background corporate libraries and intranets and want to make sure there are available jobs.

Sorry for so much detail, but we don't want to waste any time on our trip.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:41 PM

10,685 posts, read 28,521,259 times
houses aren't on 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots here. too expensive to water. Unless your speding $700,000 or more or live in the boonies on five acres in a modular.

look at littleton, stapelton, highlands, lone tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or