U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM

Location: New York, for now. Making the move to Colorado soon.
7 posts, read 33,500 times

Advertisements

What a fantasic forum!

I am making the move from New York to Colorado in the fall. And ideally, I would like to move to the Summit Country area. Possibly Breckenridge, or Silverthorne. I had the opportunity to visit a few years back and it just felt like home sweet home. Before my move I would like to get situated in terms of housing, employment, etc. What would be extremely helpful is if someone male or female would be so kind to give me a tour of neighboring towns. I'll be spending about 2 weeks and I would love to have an opportunity to really get a feel for the area and surrounding areas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and as a token of my thanks I'd love to take the worlds best tour guide for any meal and bottle of wine that they would like on me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,651,685 times
Not sure if I can actually give you a physical tour, but I'll send you a PM later today about living up here and the different towns.

What line of work are you in? Do you already have leads on employment or housing up here? What are you looking for in a place to live?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not sure if I can actually give you a physical tour, but I'll send you a PM later today about living up here and the different towns.

What line of work are you in? Do you already have leads on employment or housing up here? What are you looking for in a place to live?
Thanks for your response.

For the last few years I have been employed as an administrative assistant for a hosptital here in New York. I have also worked in chiropractic offices and doctors offices. I have excellent references so I am not worried in terms of gainful employment. I have not problems with making a commute to Denver if need be. I have my heart set on residing within summit county. I regards to housing, I was thinking of perhaps renting a one bedroom apartment in a house, but preferrably in a condo if I can. From what I gather, I estimate that I would be looking around 900 for a one bedroom. Is that a reasonable amount for rent? Thanks

Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Are you looking to settle permanently here? If so, I assume you'll be wanting to buy sometime, instead of renting forever?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you looking to settle permanently here? If so, I assume you'll be wanting to buy sometime, instead of renting forever?
Absolutely I am thinking in terms of my stay being permanent. I would like to purchase a small, conservative one bedroom condo anywhere within Summit County.

With making such a huge change, I wanted to be able to rent for about 6 months to a year before establishing a mortgage. I figure that way I can settle in from the big move, and make adjustments such as employment and anything else that may occur. By that time I'll be completely settled and ready to make the big decision to go from renting to owing. I just turned 30 this year and the time is just about right. Do you know which area would be best for me in terms of condo's for sale. Around the 200.000 range?

Thank you

Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 PM

As many on this forum will tell you, living in Summit County is not the idyllic mountain living many people dream of. We have a lot of strip malls, run-down neighborhoods, traffic, etc. But since you've visited, you probably know that. Having said that, living up here is still awesome. We have miles of backcountry trails practically in our backyard. Skiing opportunities abound (for both backcountry and in-bounds). Just waking up to this view is an inspiration to get up and be outside:
Tour Guide - Calling Summit County Residents.-dsc_0887.jpg

So here's a quick run-down of the towns in Summit County.

Silverthorne is the main residential town in the area (and with 3,500 people, also the largest), situtated mostly just north of I-70 along Highway 9. Unlike the other towns, 80% of Silverthorne housing is occupied by full-time residents. As such, there's more of a community feel in the town. Where we live, all the neighbors know each other and we often cross paths while out hiking, biking, running, etc.

Silverthorne's commercial area is however not the prettiest. There's no charming walkable Main Street. North of I-70, there are car dealerships, a Target store, more of a strip mall atmosphere. South of I-70, it is not a strip mall atmosphere, it is a strip mall, complete with McDonald's, Burger King, etc. But even in these strip malls, there are little gems of restaurants which I'll share with you once you move. The commercial high-point of Silverthorne are the outlet stores -- there are three distinct areas (villages) of outlet stores for Banana Republic, Nike, etc., that draws most of the tourists to Silverthorne. The town is trying to develop a central pavilion/shopping area, but it's still a ways off.

Living in Silverthorne is pretty nice, especially north of I-70 -- you're away from the main tourist traffic and crowds. The great thing about Silverthorne is that it is surrounded on two sides by Wilderness areas. The huge Eagles Nest Wilderness is the western boundary of the town, while Ptarmigan Peak Wilderness borders the eastern edge. Superb hiking -- you can be on the trail in minutes.

The cheapest area to live is an area called Dillon Valley East, which is just south of I-70. There are apartment complexes on Adams, Brian, and Rainbow. North of Annie Road are mainly single-family homes with some condo/townhome developments.

The other main residential area of Silverthorne is Wildernest, which is actually in unincorporated Summit County. Wildernest has some townhome/condo developments (mainly off Wildernest/Ryan Gulch Rd) as well as single-family homes (mainly off Buffalo Mountain Rd).

Dillon borders Silverthorne a little south of I-70. Dillon is pretty small, and 75% are second homes or rental properties. Mainly strip malls on Highway 6. Dillon is also developing a Main Street area, but it also has a little ways to go. The main attraction is Lake Dillon (really a reservoir). It is very pretty. There's a marina in Dillon with a tiki bar. The Lake Dillon rec-path (paved) runs along the lake and is quite nice (does get pretty crowded on weekends though). Here's a panorama from the rec-path that I took last week.

Just south of Dillon is Summit Cove -- many people mistakenly think it's part of Dillon, but it is actually in unincorporated Summit County. Big single-family homes on big lots. Many full-time residents, but very pricey.

Keystone and Copper are obviously the ski resorts -- almost nobody really lives there full-time.

Frisco is on the west side of Lake Dillon. Mainly strip malls on Highway 9 (there's a Walmart). Frisco has a pretty nice walkable Main Street though. Lots of restaurants and shops. This is the main place for tons of street festivals and fairs in the summer. Friso also has the new St. Anthony's hospital, as well as many doctors' office clustered around the hospital.

Frisco is about 50% full-time residents. It has a mixture of condos/townhomes and single-family homes. Very expensive to live, but if you want a walkable town, this may be your best bet in the county. The Lake Dillon rec-path goes through Frisco as well. The magnificent spires of the Tenmile Range rise on the west side of Frisco.

While Frisco is a nice enough town to visit, I'm not sure how nice it would be to live there, when almost every summer weekend, the roads are choked with festival goers and tourists.

Breckenridge is the other big town in Summit County. Because of the ski resort right in town, it is super expensive, pretty much out of the reach of mere mortals if you're looking to buy a place. They do have a very nice Main Street which runs along the Blue River. Although, after the 10th t-shirt/souvenir shop, you might be done! The whole town is a National Historic District, so it has that Wild West town feeling. Crowds and heavy traffic are common though. Breck is a bit set apart from the other towns in Summit County.

Only 20% of Breck are full-time residents. Although Breck has the new deed-restricted Wellington neighborhood, which is intended as affordable housing (affordable in Breck that is!).

There are other smaller towns, e.g. Blue River (S of Breck), and Montezuma (SE of Keystone). Blue River is mostly very expensive houses along Highway 9, while Montezuma is a tiny, dirt-road hamlet.

Many of the stats I've quoted come from a report published by Shaping Our Summit. It is a very interesting read, and you can download the full PDF report here.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM

I can't tell how easy it will be for you to land a job here. There are lots of jobs advertised in the local paper that you can find online: Summit Daily News for Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper and Frisco Colorado. But there are probably many people applying for those jobs as well.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM

For around $200K, you should be able to get a 1-bedroom condo. 1-bedroom condos seem to run from about $175K - $250K, depending on location and condition.

If you're looking for a hopping nightlife and party-&-bar scene, then Breck is the place to be.

Frisco is also a happening place, but to a lesser degree.

The condos around Dillon, Dillon Valley East, and Wildernest are also hosts to lots of parties in the winter.

If you're looking for a more quiet residential, family lifestyle, then look at Silverthorne or Summit Cove.

The good thing is that most of these places are pretty close. Plus there's the free bus service (although it does take a long time to get places).

Old 07-30-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Thanks Fuzz

Wow!

Thanks for the helpfull information, Fuzz. I dont especially love the bar or clubs scences. I am more of a do-it yourself outdoors kind of gal. Silverthorne sounds ideal. I really appreciate all of your input and thanks for taking the time to help. For my 2 week stay is there a hotel that you'd reccomend, with nice but affordable accomodations? If all of the Summit County residents are as nice as you are, then I know I'll love it!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Default P.s

Great photo. I am somewhat of an amateur photographer. Unpaid experience of course (LOL). I just love take pictures, especially scenery ones and black and whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or