U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM

786 posts, read 1,545,104 times

Advertisements

Ah well, looks like it's a fairly difficult issue. Thanx for all your thoughts man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink The possible why of Silverthorne

If you consider geography, that might have something to do with it.

Combine Dillon, just on the other side of I-70 from Silverthorne, with it and you've got a larger town for all intents and purposes. And also one in general size and importance no less than the few other towns in this largely rural county. There is also Frisco, just a few miles to the west, also alongside I-70 and Lake Dillon, and then only Breckenridge at a certain remove off by itself. Both Keystone and Copper Mountain are smaller population centers, and resorts rather than towns proper. That is about it. There are private residences, and a few clusters of them scattered about elsewhere in the county, but no other towns. Arguing about which of the towns in Summit County is most prominent might be pointless, as all relatively small, and with all of them and most development centered in a relatively small area in the southern half of the county.

Silverthorne is no less important to that county than Breckenridge, although the tourists might not think so. But locals traveling there for goods and services could well miss them if absent. Anywhere else is a long drive, whether to Silver Plume, Kremmling, Vail, Leadville, or Fairplay, and a better chance anyone from there is headed in the other direction for the better selection in Summit County.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Hey I'm not arguing importance, as yeah you're right, it's subjective and Breck and Silverthorne are probably more or less equal. I was just under the impression that the principal city of an MSA was always the largest. Also, I'm not sure you can just lump Dillon and Silverthorne together even if they are just across the road from each other.

I know Summit County relatively well (compared with anywhere else in the US) as I've been there about eight times over the last decade, so that's really my motive for this interest. I know there's not many municipalities in the county and that this is all pretty moot, I just thought it intriguing.

Also, in your census, if you were on vacation in Breckenridge on April 1st, surely you don't list that as you residence? I don't think we would do that here, but I wondered whether that sort of thing would be why Breck's population rose so much.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:11 PM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
I love Summit county. I would love to have a cabin there some day.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Oh yeah me too. That would be pretty blissful.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:13 PM

The area I like and am looking at is Lake Heaney. Its far enough away from the towns to be more rural yet close enough so its a easy drive to ski. Still expensive though.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:16 PM

Hmm, I can't say I've heard anything of such a place. Is that up in the NE? I can't find anything at all on it from google which seems kinda odd.

Last edited by BruceTenmile; 02-25-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Lake Heeney is off Highway 9 going north out of Silverthorne. Its almost at the end of the county. My bad I guess it is Green Mountain Resivour but the road is Heeney road and I saw a lot of signs that said Heeney so I thought it was lake Heeney as well.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Oh ok right on, I've never been up that way. Oh yeah, I see some pretty tasty pictures on google so I can see the allure. We've mainly stuck between Breck and Silverthorne and headed out both ways along I70, though I think we may have gone south through Blue River to Fairplay.

Last edited by BruceTenmile; 02-25-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM

654 posts, read 1,756,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Hey I'm not arguing importance, as yeah you're right, it's subjective and Breck and Silverthorne are probably more or less equal. I was just under the impression that the principal city of an MSA was always the largest. Also, I'm not sure you can just lump Dillon and Silverthorne together even if they are just across the road from each other.
Silverthorne was bigger by census estimates until the 2010 Census showed Breckenridge was bigger. But the new names, delinations, etc. won't come out until 2013 based on the 2010 numbers, so that is why it isn't called the Breckenridge micropolitan statistical area yet.

Also, the micropolitan statistical area must have an 'urban core' of at least 10,000 and it doesn't have to be all in one city/town/etc so that is why there can be the Silverthorne micropolitan statistical area even though the largest town doesn't even have 5,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado