U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM

10,638 posts, read 11,726,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
Jim
Can the Delta Walmart ever really get that busy?
Yup, I'll never go there on the first of the month any more. It's insane then. Friday night it was deserted, lots of checkers, but very very few customers. I'll go on a Friday night from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Well yesterday (Tuesday December 13) it was sunny and 50 degrees. I spent the morning splitting and stacking firewood, worked up a good sweat, my back gently telling me "YOU'RE OLD! STOP IT!". Got two cords split and stacked so far, one cord left to do.

Woke up this morning to 3 inches of snow on the ground. I thought it was amusing watching DENVER 4 NEWS AT 10! last night and the woman talking head during the weather segment told the weather guy, who was showing western slope radar and talking about winter storm warnings here, said "Enough about them, I want to know about the front range". Well there's those of us on the western slope forced to watch your stupid front range news. Woe to this news anchor to have to endure 4 seconds of talking about western slope weather.

Oh well, another day in the best part of Colorado awaits!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM

254 posts, read 414,117 times
Great updates. How are the cows these days?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
Great updates. How are the cows these days?
Since I repaired my neighbors fence, they are staying where they belong.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Wow, it got down into single digits last night, sunshine and warmed up to 32 degrees today. Been splitting firewood, still. This very cold weather took me for surprise, but since all I can watch is Denver weather, I have no idea what to expect here.

Anyway, I also discovered there's a muskrat, weasel or some other animal in the pond. Slender and dark in color. It was swimming around this morning jumping on the ice and sliding off. Funny to watch.

Something I noticed about here in Delta. Those really neat specials you see on tv from Pizza Hut, KFC, Domino's don't apply here. Apparently the "we don't do that" memo has been circulated. Oh well. I need to go to Ridgway anyway so I'll get a good pizza there at Panny's.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow, it got down into single digits last night, sunshine and warmed up to 32 degrees today. Been splitting firewood, still. This very cold weather took me for surprise, but since all I can watch is Denver weather, I have no idea what to expect here.
Try this:

Weather Forecast - Delta, CO - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

And this:

Weather Forecast - Delta, CO - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

And this:

Weather Discussion : Weather Underground

Or, get one of these:

Amazon.com: Midland Consumer Radio WR-120B NOAA Weather Alert All Hazard Public Alert Certified Radio with SAME, Trilingual Display and Alarm Clock - Gift Box: Electronics

Problem solved.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 AM

I do look at those jazz. It's just frustrating to be forced to watch news and weather that's 400 miles away instead of the stations 45 miles away!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,186,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I do look at those jazz. It's just frustrating to be forced to watch news and weather that's 400 miles away instead of the stations 45 miles away!
I agree with that. Unfortunately, the Grand Junction TV stations are also pretty pathetic. It didn't used to be that way, but the level of journalism from those stations pretty much sucks--I know for a fact that they pay their news and weather people pretty poorly, so it's not surprising.

I use Wunderground and the NWS weather stations pretty much exclusively for weather information, no matter where I am. They just present the facts, without a lot of "theater." Of course, you don't get to see the "weather babes" when using those sources (though, years ago, one of the most beautiful women that I have ever seen worked for the National Weather Service as a forecaster, but nobody ever saw her except her co-workers and people at the airport where the Weather Service office was located).

Old 12-17-2011, 12:36 PM

40 posts, read 86,905 times
Why can't you get the GJ stations in Delta? I thought you could.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonCityKid View Post
Why can't you get the GJ stations in Delta? I thought you could.
My understanding is, there was some Senator who lived here and wanted HIS Denver news so he passed some kind of goofy bill. Delta and Ouray counties are forced to watch Denver news. Montrose County, between the two can get GJ news. It's really stupid.

I was told before the digital switch people here could get their local GJ news via rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna. Not so easy any more. I've tried, and can't get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or