U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 20,223,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I agree with that. Unfortunately, the Grand Junction TV stations are also pretty pathetic. It didn't used to be that way, but the level of journalism from those stations pretty much sucks--I know for a fact that they pay their news and weather people pretty poorly, so it's not surprising.
Sad but true. What is really wacky is that there has been times the Naturita/Nucla area has had some significant news stories come out of there and Fox31 News has covered it, and no one in Grand Junction has. Now how does THAT work? And those towns are in Montrose County as well, maybe 100 miles away from where I live. Like Jazzlover, I know a couple people in GJ media (radio) and their wages are pretty much the standard GJ wage scale. Poor, in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 AM

10,589 posts, read 11,684,353 times
I don't care if Denver has slick news sets, helicopters, overpaid talking heads, it's STILL Denver news and weather. I don't care a thing about that. Give me local news from a shoddy 70's set. As long as it's LOCAL.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,148,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I don't care if Denver has slick news sets, helicopters, overpaid talking heads, it's STILL Denver news and weather. I don't care a thing about that. Give me local news from a shoddy 70's set. As long as it's LOCAL.
You got here 25 years too late for that. That's the way it used to be--3 TV stations on translator, one from Pueblo, one from Denver, one from Grand Junction. The Grand Junction station, KREX, carried programs from all 3 major networks, but mostly CBS. The Pueblo station, KOAA, was the NBC affiliate. KBTV out of Denver was the ABC affiliate. For years, KBTV maintained a Western Slope correspondent out of Grand Junction--Dan Dennison. Dan was from Gunnison and knew the Western Slope like the back of his hand--he started as a disc jockey and newscaster on the Gunnison radio station at about age 14. So, KBTV had lots of Western Slope coverage, even though it was based out of Denver. Stormy Rottman was the weather reporter for KBTV. When I lived in Gunnison, I would call him periodically with a Gunnison weather report. He would usually mention it during his weather forecasts. He was a really great guy, and knew Colorado climate and weather better than any of the "talking heads" these days. He cut his teeth as a meteorologist during World War II forecasting weather for the Army Air Force in Asia during the Burma Air Lift. He was the real deal.

Now, we have 200 cable or satellite channels and even less decent stuff to watch these days. Too bad it all changed.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,478,914 times
And to make things worse, all 200 stations air their commercials at the same time. So flipping channells usually results in a fruitless endeavour to find the least stupid commercial among the 200 stupid commercials available.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Anyway...

Went to Safeway this morning got gas for the Mustang saved 20 cents a gallon! It ONLY cost me $35.00 to fill up. Yay? Then bought a few things to make my world famous pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and peppermint brick candy. Safeway was nearly empty, nice quiet, clean.

Then I went to Walmart. OMG! Insane. I usually wait until Christmas Eve to go shopping but have plans this year so decided to go today. All finished.

It's cloudy and cold today, those bright "hey it's gonna snow...maybe" clouds.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:03 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
.... I usually wait until Christmas Eve to go shopping ....
That's what the quickie mart is for, down at the gas station....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's what the quickie mart is for, down at the gas station....
Actually I like going to Walmart on Christmas Eve shopping. It's fun to experience humanity.

We don't have any quickie marts here, well except for the combination gas station and Wendy's, and I don't go there because I'm not a tourist. Oh and the Shell station but that's where all the teenagers hang out.

I miss the combination gas station-bait shop-fly fishing shop-car wash-convenience store-liquor store in Ridgway though.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:25 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
So how is it working out in Delta now Jim?

And how does it compare with Ridgway or would you consider another place in Colorado to try?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So how is it working out in Delta now Jim?

And how does it compare with Ridgway or would you consider another place in Colorado to try?
Things in Delta are good, family drama is getting to be a bit much and getting on my nerves though. Sometimes I feel like I opened a soup kitchen with all the hands out. I really enjoy going to Confluence Park and Delta Hardware is my favorite place to shop. I've met some really nice friendly people here, and some real jerks too.

I would move back to Ridgway in a heartbeat and I plan to move back there in a couple of years. I love that town and really miss it.

My friends in Arkansas are begging me to move back there, I just can never see that.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Finished splitting and stacking the firewood. There's another half cord in a holder thing in the garage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or