U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 11,642,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
So, how are those cows? Tis the season for alergies - I've never had them in my life - until - this year. Very strange. I hear this year is worse than previous years perhaps because of our mild winter?

So, tell us why you are leaving Delta and why you want to move back to Ridgway (OK, is there an "e" or isn't there).
Seriously? I miss Ridgway (no e, it was named after a person, not a ridge), and really miss the people, quirky as they are. I'm not going to suffer through the rest of my life with allergies, and the dusty hot summers here.

And, I'm just WAY TOO CLOSE to family. OMG, way too close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
All across the region, this has been one of the worst springs for allergies, ever. That according to my doctor who keeps track of such things. I know my allergies have been worse this year than in years.

According to my allergist, reactions similar to Jim's--move to a new area, be allergy-free for a year or two, then develop allergies to the local plants--is very common. Unfortunately, many people with allergies have them because of a deficiency in their immune system. When they move to a new area, they may be allergy-free for a period of time, but then the immune deficiency allows an allergic reaction to develop after exposure to the new plants, etc. After a whole life of living with allergies, I can see that I've lived places where they bothered me less, but I've never been allergy-free--and, typically, my experience follows Jim's. After awhile in the new place, my allergies get as bad as ever. Years of immuno-therapy were also ineffective for me.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM

All I know is for two springs in Ridgway, no allergies. ONE in Delta and I'm miserable, just like back in Arkansas. The dust and pollen here are awful.

Anyway, did I mention WAY TOO CLOSE to family...WAY TOO CLOSE.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM

16,178 posts, read 20,188,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
All I know is for two springs in Ridgway, no allergies. ONE in Delta and I'm miserable, just like back in Arkansas. The dust and pollen here are awful.

Yep, my part of the slope is the same. The winds we have had here have been brutal, thankfully it's calmed down somewhat.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Jim, on the radio today I heard a report that Italian researchers have found that two cups of yogurt a day provided a good deal of relief to sufferers. Of course, the allergens in Italy are surely different from those here, but for a buck-fiddy a day it's worth a shot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM

I also read drinking beer makes you smarter...

I was told by an old timer here (not Jazz) to get some LOCAL honey, eat a tablespoon a day (yecch). Well the only LOCAL honey I can find is in either Montrose (not local) or Paonia (still not local). One of the produce sheds here has it, made in Texas (very not local).

At least here when a cow dies, the rancher knows what to do without relying on government intervention.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Quote:

Well, I can't say I am surprised you would want to move back.

Ridgway sits in an ideal zone in my opinion, not too high up and not too low. I'd never be happy in Delta or Montrose myself, way too low, too hot, too dry, too dusty.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM

20,311 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Quote:
...At least here when a cow dies, the rancher knows what to do without relying on government intervention.
Blue Plate Special at the diner? Smothered in green chile of course.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
mfbe wrote:
Blue Plate Special at the diner? Smothered in green chile of course.
And a little bit of pink slime from the unusable bits and pieces of the carcass, then off to the local schools in the hamburger meat. But supposedly that's all over now.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM

12,844 posts, read 24,488,520 times
I have never had any allergies in the East. When I visited Ridgway several times in the summer, on occasion, while riding through a thicket of trees, I had a flash of eye burning, which went away.
In 2008, I went to southern Utah for a week, and was blinded by eye burning and unable to function outside of air-conditioning. No over-the-counters helped. I also had the same effect in the Durango area over Labor Day weekend, but not in Ouray.
Last summer, June, 2011, I suddenly had a burst of allergy in Ridgway after several days there. The weather was weird- humid- with storms every day, but I guess the rain didn't tamp down anything. I went down lower to a hotter drier area, and almost collapsed from the allergies and multiple medications I took. I'm told last summer was unusually bad, but here it is barely spring and people are already having a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or