U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 PM

12,845 posts, read 24,496,680 times

Advertisements

Glad that Jim decided to stay in Ridgway so I can vicariously enjoy that town of dreams. There is no prettier place in my world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM

157 posts, read 157,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I love living back in Ridgway. I can walk everyplace, and with a new Jeep am exploring all the county roads around here. People have been so nice, fresh clean crisp air, just great. Had our fourth snowfall yesterday, and the San Juans and Cimarrons are snow packed.

I go to Delta about once a week to mow and care for relatives lawns, but it's always so nice to make the drive back up here. And now with tourist season over, it's really quiet too.

whirledps after reading all MY posts I'm sure your head is about to explode and I apologize.
No explosion at all. I'll be driving out to Ridgway in less than 2 weeks with a friend to look at the property I'm interested in. Nothing fancy, but affordable for me. It's about 2 miles south of town right off of 550.
I've been through Ridgway a number of times traveling from Durango to Grand Junction and from Telluride to GJ.
A question or two however.
I don't recall what kind of cell signal I had in the Ridgway area. I did have a good signal in Telluride. What are the cell service options in that area and are the signals generally satisfactory near town?

I am retired, but still make some money off the internet. I am assuming I may need to have a satellite dish for TV and internet. Is that correct or is there cable tv/internet in the area around town?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 AM

10,548 posts, read 11,649,542 times
I know where you're looking to buy, beautiful quiet area, but there cell coverage may be spotty. We have Verizon 4G now with a new tower on Log Hill (you can see it from town and there were the usual protests about it). I get 4 bars in town and that drops to two bars at the State Park, and in parts of the county. Other parts no cell service at all. Internet where you're looking is Ouray Net, or a sat provider. I have DSL here in town with CenturyLink but I don't know if they go out as far as you're looking.

There's no cable tv here so for tv you have a choice of Directv or Dish, an outside tv antenna might get you one station.

BTW it's 19 degrees this morning, but nice bright sunshine. Bring a jacket!

Old 11-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info Jim. I was already looking at Verizon and the CenturyLink website yesterday. We plan on driving out from Asheville, NC on Wednesday possibly. According to Google maps, the property is 2.5 miles south of town center.
Yep, will definitely bring a jacket.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledps View Post
Thanks for the info Jim. I was already looking at Verizon and the CenturyLink website yesterday. We plan on driving out from Asheville, NC on Wednesday possibly. According to Google maps, the property is 2.5 miles south of town center.
Yep, will definitely bring a jacket.
And might want to save this link to check also:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Have a safe trip!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks. I've been following the weather for that area pretty closely for the last few days. I understand Ridgway may get a few inches of snow Tues into Wednesday, but it looks to be clear after that for the next 4-5 days. I will check out your link now.

Excellent link. Thank you very much!

Monarch Pass between Salida and Gunnison looks like it has some snow/ice/slush now. Hopefully it won't worsen too much by the weekend.

P.S. I'll be bringing my chains just in case.

Last edited by whirledps; 11-04-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Snowing this morning and 21 degrees, a little over 3" on the ground.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Snowing this morning and 21 degrees, a little over 3" on the ground.
Cozy

We are in Wentzville, MO tonight (it's already Wed. morning) and should spend the night outside of Denver on Wednesday night. (Drove 650 miles today!) And then Ridgway late afternoon or so Thursday.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 AM

Roads are all dry here, some snow on the ground and it's a balmy 7 degrees this morning.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 AM

479 posts, read 676,297 times
jim, i've been reading your exploits in Ridgway and Delta. you've been through a couple of winters at 7000 ft. you have a jeep now. you roam into higher elevations, across passes. i have a few questions, if you don't mind. what kind of tires are you using going into this winter? all-terrain? snow? have you had to use chains around there yet? have you gotten stuck anywhere? coming from Arkansas, did you have trouble learning mountain driving? have you spent much time in 4wd?

i just moved to 5000 ft along the front range from the low plains and am preparing for higher elevation travel. i went through a CO winter in the Springs back in the early 70's in a 2wd sedan, but don't remember much of it. i've been studying a lot of City-data forum threads and would appreciate any newbie tips you might offer. by the way, great pics!

Last edited by highplainsrus; 11-08-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or