U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 AM

10,531 posts, read 11,632,560 times

Advertisements

Never used chains. When I had my Mustang I drove on the Pirelli 17" stock tires in snow and ice on the hills of northwest Arkansas with no problems. Here never had any problems either although driving a Mustang in a small mountain town in winter did give me some odd stares. My Jeep Wrangler has stock Goodyear Wrangler tires. So far I've driven in mud/snow/ice mix on a couple of passes here and have had zero trouble. Had it in 4wd hi once. I'm keeping these tires and will probably get a set of Goodyear Duratracs this summer. Just take it easy and DON'T slam on your brakes in snowpack. I'll be interested to see how my Jeep does this winter.

I would recommend an AWD or 4wd something for here, but if you have front wheel drive you'll do fine. Subaru seems to be the official state vehicle.

Good luck in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM

157 posts, read 157,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Roads are all dry here, some snow on the ground and it's a balmy 7 degrees this morning.
Made it to Telluride Thursday evening about 5:00. We're going to stay here for the weekend and roam from here. Came in the "back way" from Denver taking 70 to Frisco, then 9 to 285, to 50, to 550 in Ridgway and then 62 -> 145 to Teluride.
Roads were fine. Just a few slushy spots especially out of Breckenridge on 9.
Will be meeting the realtor this afternoon to look at the house. May go for a soak in a hot spring somewhere to ease the aching arm and shoulder muscles from solo driving from North Carolina in two days.
The temps are just right. It was 37 in T'ride when we got up this morning. Very pleasant.
We were listening to internet radio in the car on the way here and the temps in this area were about the same or even warmer than in Asheville yesterday.
Jim, can you recommend a nice restaurant in Ridgway for dinner one night? We are going to drive around the area some today and just take in some sights and see what's open in the off-season.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM

PANNY'S PIZZA! Best pizza on earth, also try their "Panwiches". Lee and Carrie (the owners) are very nice. For the best hamburger you've ever had head to 520 Burgers. For tourists and high prices the True Grit cafe (I guess everyone needs to eat there once).

It's not the "off season" here yet. Things will start closing January-March.

Weather has been perfect, the past few days. Enjoy!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Relaxing day for me today, soaking in the hot water, under the clear blue sky at Orvis Hot Springs, followed up with a walk thru the streets of Ridgway, enjoying the vista of the nearby snow covered peaks.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,083,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Relaxing day for me today, soaking in the hot water, under the clear blue sky at Orvis Hot Springs, followed up with a walk thru the streets of Ridgway, enjoying the vista of the nearby snow covered peaks.
Did you see Jim? I hear he's either carrying a fishin pole or he's lurking in the park.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Did you see Jim? I hear he's either carrying a fishin pole or he's lurking in the park.
Indeed! Well the lurking in the park sounds a bit creepy.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,083,442 times
Quote:
Indeed! Well the lurking in the park sounds a bit creepy.
I thought it was past your bedtime

Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 AM

168 posts, read 241,171 times
Jim,

The Duratracs are the best i have had. Great in snow..low noise. Had great wear.

Had them om my 4runner.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM

479 posts, read 675,864 times
Quote:
Never used chains. When I had my Mustang I drove on the Pirelli 17" stock tires in snow and ice on the hills of northwest Arkansas with no problems. Here never had any problems either although driving a Mustang in a small mountain town in winter did give me some odd stares. My Jeep Wrangler has stock Goodyear Wrangler tires. So far I've driven in mud/snow/ice mix on a couple of passes here and have had zero trouble. Had it in 4wd hi once. I'm keeping these tires and will probably get a set of Goodyear Duratracs this summer. Just take it easy and DON'T slam on your brakes in snowpack. I'll be interested to see how my Jeep does this winter.

I would recommend an AWD or 4wd something for here, but if you have front wheel drive you'll do fine. Subaru seems to be the official state vehicle.

Good luck in your move.
thanks. Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar ought to get my F150 4x4 (17" wheels) through one winter at least. I plan to put about 20k miles on them exploring the state before settling somewhere. I'll take 'em out to icy parking lots to check them out when the blizzards finally begin. see you around western CO. i'm bound to pass through Ridgway someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or