U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 16,284 times

Advertisements

We live in Atlanta, and my son is considering transferring to a Colorado school next year. He is looking for a tech school to save money, since he would have to pay out of state tuition fees. He is looking for schools in smaller cities and a place that is generally a good safe area for college students. Warmer areas would be better than a place that gets a lot of snow. Can anyone tell me of any tech schools to check into? Also I would like to know neighboring towns that he could maybe live in that would be cheaper, but not too long of a commute to school. Any and all information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,103,855 times
What kind of "tech" school? That can mean anything from a junior college, to a community college, to a vocational school.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Junior or community college.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
Its not a tech school but Colorado State University - Pueblo would be great for what you are looking for. They are not as expensive as the other major state schools, it is one of the fastest growing universities in the state located in Pueblo which is normally one of the warmest major cities in the state. They even offer reduced tuition for out of state students who stay in the residence halls and 3 are brand new. Academically its a good school with a remodeled library opening this month and it has a growing sports program. In fact the football team is expected to win the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference next year.

Here is a thread on CSU Pueblo: The CSU-Pueblo Thread

If you son wanted he could attend Pueblo Community College then transfer to CSU Pueblo and finish his degree. They have a agreement with and many students all the time.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 PM

166 posts, read 357,966 times
My husband and I just moved to Fort Collins with our 18 yr old son last fall. He is attending Front Range Community College (Larimer campus) in Fort Collins. The campus is very nice and new in a great part of town. CSU is also here in Fort Collins so the town has a great 'vibe' for that age group. The Colorado Community College System has guaranteed transfer to state schools, but we are waiting till we have established residency for that! . Our son is taking a couple of classes on campus and a couple on line (to save a some per credit hour). Very safe and easy to get around here. I can't advise you about how affordable it is to rent here. I'm sure others could speak to that better.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Thanks for both of the replies. I will check those out. That is a good idea about not taking all the classes on campus. I will pass that on to him.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 PM

How about gang activity and costs of living there?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 AM

166 posts, read 357,966 times
I can tell you that I havent seen any gang activity at all in Fort Collins. I feel safe walking anywhere here by myself. You should make a trip out with him to check things out! It's a nice place to visit, too

Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Yes I plan to do that. He would be looking for a part-time job also. How is the economy out there?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie View Post
Yes I plan to do that. He would be looking for a part-time job also. How is the economy out there?
Bad, but there are jobs around for college students. It wouldn't be a professional job, but there's stuff in retail, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or