U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

19 posts, read 59,445 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to CO when I finish school in a yr. I will be a teacher and DH works from home. We are looking for a town with less than 10,000 people. We want to look out the window and see the mountians and the beauty of CO. We live in Texas and look forward to the snowy winters and mild summers. We want a town with good schools. We would like a town where house a spread out. I don't want to be right next to our neighbors.

I visited CO a couple of years ago and have wanted to live there ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM

636 posts, read 2,052,866 times
Woodland Park is easy driving distance to Colorado Springs for work (if you ever needed to), plus obviously it has schools. Lots of homes on large lots and still very affordable, close to the amenities of Colorado Springs. Where we live we have 1.34 acres, cant see anyone else's house, and can walk to a reservoir and fish our limit out in about 45 mins, plus hiking, biking, horse trails right next to house. We are getting our own walmart (pos or neg? but at least we can buy underwear in town now) that should be complete any day, a new hospital, and a new city center. Altitude 8400 feet, dry and very very few bugs but lots of wildlife. Lots of the tech geeks from the Springs (like my husband) live up here. Check out the city data and good luck!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM

423 posts, read 1,774,814 times
Wellington is 10 minutes north of Ft Collins. My property in town is on a third of an acre, and others in my neighborhood have 1/2 acres. They just built a brand new school here and plan to open it this year. So lots of teaching jobs opening up. I would say we are around 6000 people in town. We have all the necessities including banks, grocery store, restraunts. It is a great place to live and has great views of the mountains as we are right at the foothills. Also minutes from Ft Collins, Cheyenne, Loveland, Denver, and Greeley.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
Default Looking at Woodland Park.

MorningGlory Woodland Park is easy driving distance to Colorado Springs for work (if you ever needed to), plus obviously it has schools. Lots of homes on large lots and still very affordable, close to the amenities of Colorado Springs. Where we live we have 1.34 acres, cant see anyone else's house, and can walk to a reservoir and fish our limit out in about 45 mins, plus hiking, biking, horse trails right next to house. We are getting our own walmart (pos or neg? but at least we can buy underwear in town now) that should be complete any day, a new hospital, and a new city center. Altitude 8400 feet, dry and very very few bugs but lots of wildlife. Lots of the tech geeks from the Springs (like my husband) live up here. Check out the city data and good luck!

We are looking at a possible move to Woodland Park sometime in 2010 after we retire. We have been to Woodland Park 4 or 5 times in last 3 years trying to get a handle on the area and the real estate prices. We did find one lot that we liked in town two years ago, but it wasn't for sale yet. The realtor estimated the price to probably be around $165,000. It has now been put up for sale and we were shocked to see that the developer wanted $500,000 for it.

Is Woodland Park going to be able to demand those types of prices for lots? We have seen a few older homes on lots just as nice with the same views in the $500,000 - $600,000 range that we would rather remodel and update than spend $500,000 for just a lot. I don't see houses flying off the market in Woodland Park. I have access to the MLS and see a lot of homes that are just sitting there. I realize that Woodland Park now has a WalMart and there is some downtown revitalization that is going to start soon, but do the citizens really think that Woodland Park is going to be the next Breckenridge and be able to demand prices that high?

I would really like to hear what some residents of Woodland Park think about this.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,156 times
Red face Crestone

Hi
If you are looking for a small Colorado town, I can think of many. I have lived in Crestone for the last 18 years and have just decided to leave because I don't like the cold. But, if you don't mind the cold, it is an incredibly beautiful place. It has 14,000 ft peaks, lots of streams and big trees, about 1,000 people and about 20 different religious centers so you can go shopping for the perfect spiritual path, and you can also join the local japanese taiko group for drumming lessons. There is an annual 3 day music festival, and there are two schools, a charter school and a public school. (I don't recommend the charter school - it is basically just a waste of time).
The summer high is about 80 degrees and the winter high is about 29 degrees. Winter low can get way too cold for comfort and you definitely need an engine block heater on your car.
The town itself has a credit union, a post office, a health food store, a lumber store, and there is a bar and a couple of restaurants. Crestone also has more bed and breakfasts than any other little town, so lodging is not a problem.
There is, unfortunately, a property owner's association who is far from fun to deal with.
For shopping you have to go to Alamosa or Salida, 50 miles away. Alamosa is a nice place to go, there is a safeway, a city market, super walmart, lumber stores, hardware stores, 2 health food stores and so on. Population about 16,000 and colder than Siberia in the middle of winter. Salida is about the same size, and also has a safeway, walmart and lumber store.
Another option is Saguace, which is about 35 miles from Crestone. Saguache gets a little more water than Crestone.
Close to Crestone there is the Sand dunes national monument, the sand dunes swimming pool (not clorinated, hot water pool, open year round), an alligator farm as well as horseback riding.
So, if you are looking for small towns, you might want to check out the whole area.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 PM

783 posts, read 1,846,672 times
Taiko girl...thanks for the good post. It's great to hear from someone who actually has lived in Crestone 18 years. My wife and I visited Crestone last month, and want to go back for a longer visit. We're attracted by the spiritual and religious diversity, and by the remoteness to some degree. Still, as members of a society where people have been conditioned (my wife and I also, to some degree!) to nearly constant bombardment by various stimuli (television, cell phones, computers, etc.), we really wonder if we could handle the remoteness. It might be educational to see how our mental and emotional states would respond to that environment. I'm curious as to whether you are heading south to a warmer climate or just going to try a warmer part of Colorado. My wife and I also want to spend more time visiting Salida as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or