U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,966 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! We are a Newly wed couple in our late 20's that will be moving to Colorado in the next year. We do not have an exact location at this time, so our options are pretty open. We are in search of an ideal place for a young married couple to start a new life together, no kids and will be purchasing a house. We are looking for a city/town that experiences all four seasons, preferably near the mountains and has that good Colorado lifestyle. But we will need to be close to an area abundant with jobs. Currently living in Northern Virginia we want to get away from the typical suburban housing developments where all you see is your neighbors kitchen window! Looking for new authentic housing with views! We love the outdoors, and want to be close to hiking trails and outdoor activities. Any suggestions?????? We will be traveling out there in the near future to scout out some places and would like to have some insider advice to narrow our search! Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Quote:
But we will need to be close to an area abundant with jobs.
You will probably need to search in the Denver or Colorado Springs area. Lots and lots of areas to search with your preferences. Come out and drive the wheels off your rental car along the foothills west of I-25.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
You will probably need to search in the Denver or Colorado Springs area. Lots and lots of areas to search with your preferences. Come out and drive the wheels off your rental car along the foothills west of I-25.
And unless you live in the city of Denver, you will be living in a suburb where you can see into your neighbor's kitchen, as you put it. There are very few homes on acreage here, that are not in the mtns.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,774,600 times
The Loveland area around Carter laker or the Ft Collins area around Horsetooth mountain would be a great place for you to look. Both are minutes from town, wide open spaces, and lots of water and hiking.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Simple. The jobs are on the Front Range and that's where all the suburban sprawl is, too. Take away the mountain view (and many of the houses in the sprawl DON'T have a view) and it'll probably look a lot like where you live now--just not as many trees to block the view to your neighbor's kitchen. Sorry, but suburbia is just suburbia, no matter where it is in America. That's why I've come to loathe it. And suburbia is what is being built in Colorado, even in the mountains. Colorado worships big box sprawl.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM

168 posts, read 551,762 times
Default area options

Hi Dandman629 -

Colorado is a great state for many reasons. The sun is amazing. Most people have to make a choice between living in urban/suburban areas or mountain towns. Popular suburbs are Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Centennial. Boulder is a great university town - right in the foothills. The ski towns are fantastic, but employment more limited. I worked in D.C. & lived in Alexandria, VA for two years after studying in Colorado. I missed the mountains, skiing, and SUN - so I came back and am glad I did. Good luck. Sumisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandman629 View Post
Hello Everyone! We are a Newly wed couple in our late 20's that will be moving to Colorado in the next year. We do not have an exact location at this time, so our options are pretty open. We are in search of an ideal place for a young married couple to start a new life together, no kids and will be purchasing a house. We are looking for a city/town that experiences all four seasons, preferably near the mountains and has that good Colorado lifestyle. But we will need to be close to an area abundant with jobs. Currently living in Northern Virginia we want to get away from the typical suburban housing developments where all you see is your neighbors kitchen window! Looking for new authentic housing with views! We love the outdoors, and want to be close to hiking trails and outdoor activities. Any suggestions?????? We will be traveling out there in the near future to scout out some places and would like to have some insider advice to narrow our search! Thank You!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 PM

81 posts, read 360,400 times
What would be the best city to live in if you are not an outdoorsy person? I prefer the city...but I need a house around the $120-$150 range...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or