U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,268 times

Advertisements

I am middle age and finally ready to move to Colorado after wanting to live there since high school because of listening to a friend talk about it. I have only visited Denver once in April last year. I liked it but it was too big of a city and didn't seem to have enough "foot-hills". I biked some and hiked as well as visited Estes Park and drove west to Vail. I didn't like the idea of having to be up high in the mountains immediately upon going west from Denver. I cross country ski and snowshoe but do not downhill ski or care to.
I am an avid mountain biker adn hiker. I don't want to worry about driving on icy roads or worry about tornados!
I am an R.N. and would like to work at a fairly large hospital of at least 300 beds. (Not a real high income area would be best)
I visited California last year also and loved the mountain biking there but don't think I want to live there.
Any suggestions? It is so hard to tell a place by the internet! Once I have an idea I will head out and apply for jobs if I like the area.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,139,426 times
There are a lot of posts about this already--do a search. With the exception of St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, all of the major hospitals in Colorado are in Colorado's Front Range metropolitan areas--which you have pretty much already ruled out because of your criteria. "I don't want to worry about driving on icy roads" pretty much knocks you out of anyplace in Colorado--because everywhere in the state gets icy roads at some point during a typical winter.

You might check out St. Mary's in Grand Junction--it is one of the milder areas climatically in Colorado, though it can get cold and stay cold for a period of time in winter and can get quite hot in the summer. Competition for nursing jobs there is likely to be fierce--Mesa State in Grand Junction turns out a fair number of nursing graduates--many of them locals who would like to stay in the area. Grand Junction can also be a culture shock, depending on what you are used to--it's conservative, somewhat "redneck," and a fair amount of its economy is centered around natural gas drilling in the region.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,684,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
There are a lot of posts about this already--do a search. With the exception of St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, all of the major hospitals in Colorado are in Colorado's Front Range metropolitan areas--which you have pretty much already ruled out because of your criteria. "I don't want to worry about driving on icy roads" pretty much knocks you out of anyplace in Colorado--because everywhere in the state gets icy roads at some point during a typical winter.

You might check out St. Mary's in Grand Junction--it is one of the milder areas climatically in Colorado, though it can get cold and stay cold for a period of time in winter and can get quite hot in the summer. Competition for nursing jobs there is likely to be fierce--Mesa State in Grand Junction turns out a fair number of nursing graduates--many of them locals who would like to stay in the area. Grand Junction can also be a culture shock, depending on what you are used to--it's conservative, somewhat "redneck," and a fair amount of its economy is centered around natural gas drilling in the region.
I know for a fact that St. Mary's has laid of a bunch of people, and has actually sort of closed sections of the newly built hospital. This is from a Dr. and nurse who work there.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I know for a fact that St. Mary's has laid of a bunch of people, and has actually sort of closed sections of the newly built hospital. This is from a Dr. and nurse who work there.
Yes, you are right, nursing is no longer a career with a guaranteed job for anyone who wants one in western Colorado. The medical industry is not immune to what is happening in the general economy--contrary to what many people may think.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM

198 posts, read 1,046,331 times
Quote:

If grand junction is "red neck" for being conservative, than the ENTIRE state of Arizona should be red neck in your eyes.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.Native.SW View Post
If grand junction is "red neck" for being conservative, than the ENTIRE state of Arizona should be red neck in your eyes.
As I have used the terms above, "conservative" is a political characterization, "redneck" is more of a cultural characterization. Though the two may sometimes parallel one another, they are really different things. It is quite possible for a place--or a group of people--to be one, but not the other.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
As I have used the terms above, "conservative" is a political characterization, "redneck" is more of a cultural characterization. Though the two may sometimes parallel one another, they are really different things. It is quite possible for a place--or a group of people--to be one, but not the other.
Well I am just saying if GJ is "red neck" in your eyes, than many places in AZ should be as well. Red Neck people are in every state, some more than others. I would say any state in the SW does not have as many red necks as some other parts of this country.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
Some of you may remember my initial screen name ( NewAgeRedneck ), which I used for about a year before changing it to CosmicWizard. I came up with NewAgeRedneck becasue I have some new age type interests AND also some redneck type interests. Those vastly differing interests are not mutually exclusive as some might think. While Grand Junction certaily has more of a redneck influence, there are also more new age types here than one might initially suspect. It's just not an in-your-face new age presence like Boulder was back in the 70s when I lived over there.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Some of you may remember my initial screen name ( NewAgeRedneck ), which I used for about a year before changing it to CosmicWizard. I came up with NewAgeRedneck becasue I have some new age type interests AND also some redneck type interests. Those vastly differing interests are not mutually exclusive as some might think. While Grand Junction certaily has more of a redneck influence, there are also more new age types here than one might initially suspect. It's just not an in-your-face new age presence like Boulder was back in the 70s when I lived over there.
This might be generalizing, but when I think of rednecks, I don't really think of CO, UT, AZ, etc. I tend to think West Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Iowa, etc. Pretty much anywhere in the rural south or anywhere in the rural midwest. With that said, the small rural towns of SW states have rednecks as well. Rednecks are really in every state from California to Maine, its true.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM

20,343 posts, read 37,861,657 times
Folks, the OP never said a thing about "redneck" anything. Let's not get sidetracked on what was nothing more than a passing mention.

The OP will find the most RN opportunities along the Front Range, aka the I-25 corridor, from Pueblo to Fort Collins, and I'd throw in Cheyenne, WY too in the job search. There are also hospitals in Grand Junction and other cities/towns on the other side of the state, to include Bayfield/Durango, etc.

Being anywhere between I-25 and the Utah border will put the OP near all sorts of magnificent mountain scenery and sporting life. The least snowy/icy roads will be along the I-25 corridor and around Grand Junction.

I'll put in a plug for COLO SGPS, which has four major hospitals, is very affordable, and sits right next to Pikes Peak and the Rampart Range with all of its hiking, biking and other amenities, practically right in town.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-19-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or