U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:36 AM

2,615 posts, read 2,039,294 times

Advertisements

Personally, I enjoy the Breck/Frisco/Dillion area much better. Much more variety of places to go, things to do etc.... Doesn't mean vail isn't nice, it is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
I lived in Frisco for a year and currently live in Avon. One thing I can say for sure is that it is a lot colder in Summit County, especially in the mornings. I'd say on average 10 degrees and Eagle County gets progressively warmer as you go down valley. This isn't that big of a deal in the dead of winter or in the middle of the summer, but the cold weather drags on a lot longer in the spring in Summit and summer tends to hang on longer in the Fall in Eagle County. When I lived in Frisco I remember watching the aspens across the street leaf out in mid June. And I lived on the sunny side of town. That is not to say that it isn't cold in East Vail.....

There are things I miss about Summit County (much better for road & mountain biking and cross country skiing / snowshoeing) but as a professional in my 40's, Eagle County is much more livable from a peer standpoint. In particular, I'd check out the Wildridge development in Avon and the Singletree development in Edwards. Both probably have at least a 90% year round professional population. The comparable area of Summit County is Summit Cove.

I would note that although Frisco seems like a very cool little town (and I'm not saying it is not), the majority of houses are actually second homes for residents of the Front Range. It can be a ghost town during the week and the cars all roll in on Friday. If I lived in Denver and was looking for a second home, I wouldn't think twice about having it there. But my first home is in the mountains and I am very happy in Avon.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 77,518 times
Thanks everyone for the responses and information. We've been leaning more towards the Vail Valley. From my own research it appears Breckenridge is more of a college/party town than family oriented. Would that be a correct assumption?

Also I apologize for dropping out of the thread for so long....life happens

Old 12-29-2014, 04:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,848,135 times
Wink Happily situated

Despite a certain contention in the preceding posts, they offer a lot of good insight into the relative merits of Vail versus Breckenridge.

In questioning if Breck is more of a party town than Vail overlooks that both are ski resort towns, so either surely far more so than other towns even in relatively close proximity to them. In example, Frisco in contrast to Breck, the former tourism-centric, but as without a ski area of its own with a decidedly different atmosphere. So the question here may be more what variety of ski town one would prefer, insofar the details.

Vail has always had a different feel to me in part strictly due its location and relative isolation. Certainly not way off and gone like Telluride or even Aspen, but for being on I-70 it seems far more removed from Denver than Summit County, simply due Vail Pass. Yes, it is not all that far from Frisco, but can seem like it, and in practical effect is in inclement weather. Just navigating winter traffic in getting to and past Eisenhower Tunnel from Denver can be an adventure, with if then the further prospect of Vail Pass perhaps one pass too many. So that Vail (at least to me) seems off on its own, whereas Summit County almost Denver's mountain backyard to play in.

To that extent then maybe Breck is more of a party place. Although I feel the ambience found—in both Vail and Breck being ski towns—will depend far more on the exact situation one determines for themselves within either. For instance, in either such as the grocery could be near around the corner and convenient, or more or less across town and a pain. That goes for all other services as well. Thus more a question of where one's home is located, with an eye towards all without wanted at times (as well in proximity or not that NEVER wanted).

One might also add that one advantage (as well, in cases, disadvantage) to Summit County is its relative closeness to Denver and all the more services of that metropolitan area, should one wish them. Vail is always just that much farther. One advantage of both areas is that they offer a fair degree of services locally, certainly compared to other far more remote and small mountain towns. Yet within either the details will matter on a daily basis. If in Breck and needing to visit the hospital, then some 9 miles down CO 9, which certainly at times is not exactly a picnic. Frankly, living in Breck would be far nicer if one actually did, and without the need or desire to venture beyond it, save once in a while. But depending on location in Vail, that excursion to the hospital in mid-Vail might not be much more fun, and perhaps in circumstances even easier if hazarding I-70 part of the way. The moral here perhaps determining in advance where one may be on a common day, and how all that commuting may play out.

I've heard that at times students from various colleges (some notorious) will show up in Copper Mountain and to one extent or another trash the place. Then just your average skiers and other tourists who can be louts. All being part of the rich panoply of any resort area. Some towns probably more so than others. If my suggestion one is far more likely to escape any of this if not nearby; so not so much the question of Vail versus Breck or another, but better off in a single family residence at a remove than a condo slope-side. Or the tale I just heard recounted of someone—in a great ski in/out location (but also their permanent home)—not appreciating those upstairs in ski boots thinking they made fine and appropriate slippers. Etc.

Whether Vail is fake or not is another question. By design its central core leading out has an arguably attractive faux ski chalet style, call it what you will. Breckenridge, on the other hand, being far older—Breck established in 1859, Vail in early 1960's—retains aspects of its Victorian architecture. This especially along main street, all suitably enhanced. Either is designed to attract and keep tourists happy. Both are quite real in that they are what they are. Silverthorne (in Summit County) could be considered more 'real' insofar as it is where much of the necessary light industrial activity in the county is based. Most of Vail's, I believe, is centered farther west and removed from that town. So compared to Westminster or maybe Sterling, these ski towns are artificial to the extent that they are largely composed of residences, small shops and restaurants, leaving the nitty gritty to someone else elsewhere. But then who goes skiing in Lamar, or would want their idealized ski town to look like the backside of Pueblo?

Silverthorne, by the way, may have I-70 bisecting part of it, and never as popular as nearby Keystone for the mountain getaway dreamed of by many. But if hardly inexpensive and maybe because of that, it has some really nice neighborhoods within town limits, with others just beyond.

So proof of some sort that the perfect mountain home might be in a variety of locations. Perhaps even as far removed as next Purgatory (now called Durango Mountain), as maybe one liking its lower-key ambience and greater isolation. All depends. But wherever, that perfect home will be all the more so if well situated to one's personal preferences—or instead one happy at home, but rather dreading going out.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,868,858 times
The collective wisdom from the thousands of posts in these forums that I've read over the years is that just about any town is "what you make of it." Both (all) towns have a pro / con aspect to them and as they told me almost 45 years ago "comparisons are odious." I urge the OP to check out each town, maybe rent for a while before picking one. Either way, she's gonna love Colorado.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 AM

242 posts, read 264,199 times
I've lived/owned a home in the VV for 30 years and put 2 kids through the local school system here. It isn't perfect, and it's damn expensive, but I honestly don't think I could find a better/safer area with as many opportunities for kids to be exposed to incredibly outdoor adventures and a culture that includes people from all over the World.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,049,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davara View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses and information. We've been leaning more towards the Vail Valley. From my own research it appears Breckenridge is more of a college/party town than family oriented. Would that be a correct assumption?

Also I apologize for dropping out of the thread for so long....life happens
Breck is cheaper and I would say attracts a wider range of people and younger people/college kids for spring break. But definitely not a college town. Any ski resort could be considered a "party town" to some extent.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM

61 posts, read 58,709 times
I know you set this up as a Breck v. Vail debate, but why not Frisco? Of the Summit County spots, it's the one that had the most organic evolution as a town. Is it that you want to have a ski resort right at your footsteps? Obviously, Frisco doesn't have that, but it's close to the four Summit County resorts and Vail isn't that far.

Frisco has a main street, lots of local businesses, etc...I never lived there full time, my folks had a second home over on Ptarmigan Mountain, but we'd hop over to Frisco on holidays and they always had something going on (e.g. an old fashioned 4th of July parade). Seems like they had a community vibe going on that was genuine.

If I were looking for a mountain town for full time residence, Frisco would be high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or