U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,049,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Would you mind posting a few? I'm out in a touristy town (Avon), and would love some decently priced Mexican food. I went to a Mexican restaurant in Edwards once in a rush, didn't care for the food much (bland to me, but I'm originally from TX, so tex-mex is pretty much all I know), and paid about $14 for a cheese enchilada, rice, and beans. My Spanish isn't the greatest, but I think that would make me un tonto. Mexican food just shouldn't cost that much.

As for other types of food, Tocabe has to be one of my favorite restaurants in Denver. I go there every time I head down to the Front Range. Their website says that it is the only Native American restaurant in Denver, but does anyone know of others? The assortment of flavors in practically ANY of their food just goes together so well; I'd love to be able to select from a wider menu.
If it's Fiesta's in Edwards, I'm not a fan. A lot of locals like it, but I don't think it's really exceptional. Edible, but not something you look forward to.

I like Agave in Avon. For some reason I never got around to eating there when I lived there, but ate there a few times last November and I think it's pretty good. Nice lunch specials as well.

The Saloon over in Minturn is pretty decent as well.

Too bad you missed Chilly Willys in Minturn. They used to be great and then the owner started cutting corners and it went downhill till he shut his doors last year.

Fiesta Jalisco, some people like. Haven't eaten there in a while, but I was like so so.

Los Amigos in Vail is for the tourists.

Overall I think my pick in the Valley is Agave.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM

20,344 posts, read 37,861,657 times
All good stuff and I interpret those examples to support my view that "authentic" and "local" are largely meaningless terms. The same dishes, no matter where they are to be found, have been prepared in countless ways over the years (or centuries) to the point that it's nearly impossible to declare what is or was truly authentic - as if it really matters any way. It's pointless to fall on ours sword over this or for some to cop an attitude or get angry. If it tastes good, it is good. If someone likes green chile on a PBJ sandwich, God love 'em!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM

331 posts, read 868,022 times
Thanks Wanneroo, I work pretty close to there, and pass by it going to work every day. I just have never stopped in. I'll have to give them a shot.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,258,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
So sorry, Mike ...

But you don't find saucelike Mexican "green chile" as part of their cuisine in Mexico. It's all a creation of cooks, with all the variants and styles, here in the USA. Be it California, New Mexico, Colorado, or wherever ...
Green chile sauce is New Mexican in origin. I don't think anybody is arguing that. New Mexico was of course part of Mexico but I don't know whether the cooks there developed the first green chile sauce recipes before or after the state became part of the US. And I don't particularly care - true New Mexican green chile sauce is delicious irrespective of which country it was invented in.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:43 PM

85,046 posts, read 98,981,287 times
Quote:
Kinda' like a Chinese restaurant serving Chow Mein, a San Francisco creation ....

Chinese ah-food like for the American Taste

Chinese food it's not ... even when made with oriental ingredients and prepared by a Chinese cook in America.
Yeah, my DH was in China and said the food is much different there.

Considering we came here from Champaign, IL and I grew up in Pittsburgh, I find the food in metro Denver more than adequate.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM

13,725 posts, read 21,542,697 times
Quote:
dog ... That was pretty uncalled for.
No, Sunsprit. You trashed two of my threads like this one.

I don't care about you spelling nazis and you culinary experts. If you don't like The food maybe you ought to brush your funky teeth once in a while.

I don't know what you're talking about gooey slop. To diss a whole culture such as Texas and to diss Texas red chili and tex-mex is narrow-minded and perhaps racist.

Some folks are going hungry so... be grateful once in a while. Life is good.

I bet the Op wish they never started this thread. I know how it feels.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM

96 posts, read 241,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
All good stuff and I interpret those examples to support my view that "authentic" and "local" are largely meaningless terms. The same dishes, no matter where they are to be found, have been prepared in countless ways over the years (or centuries) to the point that it's nearly impossible to declare what is or was truly authentic - as if it really matters any way. It's pointless to fall on ours sword over this or for some to cop an attitude or get angry. If it tastes good, it is good. If someone likes green chile on a PBJ sandwich, God love 'em!
I totally agree. Even in New Mexico there is a distinct difference between Mexican food from Rio Arriba (the North) and Rio Abajo (the South). Nobody could say the Mexican food from the San Luis Valley isn't authentic. My grandma, a native New Mexican, opened the first Mexican restaurant in Loveland in the 60s. Her specialty was Chile Colorado--as red chile is called in Northern NM. Even in New Mexico a lot of newcomers complain about New Mexican food not being "real" Mexican food. Somebody's always trying to find a "California Style" Burrito or an authentic Mexican street taco, and they hate all that chile we smother on everything. I think some people have a pretty limited understanding of the huge variety in Mexican cuisine--and yes that includes the Southwest. I have eaten my way throughout Mexico and the Southwest. Food from the Yucatan is nothing like food from Sonora and food from Oaxaca is going to be a lot different from food from Baja, but they are all authentic cuisines.

And yes Mike from Back East, mixing green chile with jelly isn't too unheard of. A place in Albuquerque serves a Green Chile apple pie and a Red Chile apple pie. Both are delicious. I'm sure you've seen jalapeno or green chile jelly in the stores because it's quite popular. I like to call items like this "Chicano Fusion Cuisine"

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 PM

96 posts, read 241,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
When I visited La Junta the hispanic restaurant I ate at served vermicelli as a side dish made pretty much like spanish rice everywhere else. I did find that unique and not something you'd find in most of NM, at least at places where I've dined there.
Those are fideos and we ate way more fideos than rice. In fact, I can't remember ever eating Mexican style rice as a kid. At my house it was always fideo. Do you remember the name of that restaurant in La Junta?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,049,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
To me good food is good food, wherever it is. I really don't give a flip if it's "authentic" or "local" as I've had plenty of both that has turned out to be garbage.

Some of the best fajitas I ever had for instance were in Canberra, Australia.

I never thought I'd ever see people fight like cats and dogs over red and green chile in a forum and people get offended.

Who cares?

Just tell me the best places to eat in Colorado, cause I am sure I have missed many over my lifetime.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 AM

152 posts, read 333,345 times
The food here is foul -- plain and simple! Unlike many states that really have a specialized, defined cuisine (New York and Chicago - Pizza, Philadelphia - Cheese steaks, Miami - Cuban, Atlanta - Southern, New Orleans - Cajun, LA and Phoenix - Mexican), this place has nothing! I have tried various Denver "institutions" with none of them satisfying a single one of my taste buds!

The Mexican here is extremely offensive with tasteless green chile literally splattered on everything in sight! It would be nice to have a plate of Mexican food here that isn't drowning in some mysterious, oily and watery green chile concoction. Where is my Horchata or Jamaica? If you're going to call yourself a Mexican restaurant at least whip up several gallons of Horchata and have some Jamaica spinning around! A tasteless, soggy burrito with a Sprite does nothing for me! Hello?!

I guess that leaves BeauJo's and Rocky Mountain Oysters for "local" cuisine! I'll pass.

Colorado does recreation well and that's it. Do not expect anything more, especially out of the food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or