U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
A quick question ,is their a Mexican restaurant in Denver that makes fresh tortillas "while you watch" that are brought. To your table with your food order??
This has been answered (sort of). I'll add, there's one in Steamboat, but I don't remember the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I like the cat. What does it eat?
It looks like one of my cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
A BLOWDRYER?! *cringe*

Your poor computer! That's a very big risk, unless there's a "cool" setting on the dryer. When I did hardware tech support, we used to get SO many melted parts from blowdryers. Please, for your computer's safety, allow parts to dry overnight before supplying power to them. No risk of melting, and the water will dry overnight.

Glad to hear nothing shorted out though from the water spill! :-)
My daughter spilled a cup of tea on her computer, and tried to blow it dry with a hair dryer. She basically wrecked it. However, DH was able to get the parts and fixed it.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,197,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
So because I provide my honest opinion about food in this state, I'm bashing Colorado? Green chile is overrated, especially when it is put on everything on the menu. In California we have Mexican food that you aren't forced to eat with a spoon. That's what I prefer!

Other cities in this country do have unique dishes. Sure they have great food from all around the world, but they also have unique food that people travel from around the world to eat. Colorado doesn't!
I dunno.

I live in north Florida now. We're all about seafood here.

We had a Santa Fe wedding to attend last spring.
Our older son flew in from Paris, France. We met in Denver, and the four of us traveled together for the first time in years.
We were able to fit in a visit to see family in Albuquerque.
We ate absolutely NOTHING BUT MEXICAN during the entire Denver/ABQ/Santa Fe visit. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was divine.
We didn't make it to the Satire, but we managed a visit to our beloved Benny's. Had some fantastic meals in ABQ.
By the time we got to Santa Fe for the wedding, we were calling our hotel room The Gas Chamber.

Preferences are just that: Preferences.
Beginning a sentence with "In California we have" is bound to raise a few hackles, especially in Colorado, but I've been around a bit, I understand how some folks roll.
People move, or they visit another place, and they make the mistake of expecting the same standards and practices as the place of their origin.

During May 2010, our culinary adventures may not have been as refined as a tasting menu in Paris or as auténtico as some hidden gem in SoCal, but I am not too worried about that. I love both green and red chile.

Let's not forget those peaches from the Western Slope, either.
Or Rocky Ford Cantaloupe.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM

331 posts, read 867,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Oh, that nuclear meltdown in Japan occurred about the same time ... hmmmm
That's obviously the kitty's fault.

McGowdog, do you mean break the hinges or the cable? That cable is pretty strong. The hinges on my laptop proved to not be very strong. When I worked hardware support, broken hinges was very common. One of the hinges on mine broke off completely from normal wear and tear (okay, so after 6 years... but still normal wear / tear). When I get my next computer, it's going to be my Frankenstein to see if I can make the smallest Linux media server ever, using my big-screen as its monitor instead of having an LCD attached to it.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 AM

85,041 posts, read 98,964,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
That's obviously the kitty's fault.

McGowdog, do you mean break the hinges or the cable? That cable is pretty strong. The hinges on my laptop proved to not be very strong. When I worked hardware support, broken hinges was very common. One of the hinges on mine broke off completely from normal wear and tear (okay, so after 6 years... but still normal wear / tear). When I get my next computer, it's going to be my Frankenstein to see if I can make the smallest Linux media server ever, using my big-screen as its monitor instead of having an LCD attached to it.
OK, I know we're veering wildly off topic here, but we once had a cat who chewed through computer cables.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM

13,713 posts, read 21,537,667 times
Sorry to the OP about veering off topic. I'll try to respond... while giving the wheel a slight correction;

pyrotech, I was talking about the ribbon. I figured if I broke that thing, it'd be back to the shop with my now... maybe 6 year old Dell inspiron 5160. I replaced the HD to a 160, upped the ram to 2 gig, and I only run XP and it doesn't do too shabby. When I took the screen off, I was expecting some type of tough spring mechanism, but I was able to just unscrew the thing and pull it aside and screw it back on. I was worried that the weight of the screen itself would rip the ribbon out or crack it.

So... as far as the thread goes... I just want to be able to converse with Pueblo folks about our food down here.

I now wish more than ever that City-Data would just give Pueblo their own subforum here and those other folks who don't like our food and our scenery and our crime ... can just not even have to bother or worry about us down here. You won't have to be bothered by our comments and opinions here ... unless you feel the need to badger us and put us down.

It's one thing to say you don't like a certain food because you think it's bland or gooey or whatever... but to call it "slop" or "crap", etc. is what I think is uncalled for. It frankly puts me "off my food" if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Vegas is right--the really good New Mexican food is, well, in New Mexico.
Now here's a statement here that seems innocuous enough... and may even be the truth in this case.

But just because Jazz says Vegas is right doesn't make it so. It just so happens that one's opinion aligns with another's. You can make up your own opinions, but not your own facts. It may be that the absolute best New Mexican food is in Walsenburg Colorado. Who knows? The folks in Walsenburg might.

It's not so much who's the most right or who's the most truthful here... a lot of times it's about the attitude. Blatant disrespect for another poster in their own thread is what bothers me. I've been blunt and brutal myself... but I've done what I can to show appreciation for and add to the OPs point of view.

If someone is talking about the preparation of liver and onions and I hate liver and onions, I don't enter the thread... because I know some folks love liver and onions.

Yup... I think a Pueblo thread would avoid a lot of this mess. It could have its own "flavor" so to speak. Otherwise, it gets thrown in with everything Colorado that's not Denver, CS, Boulder, and Ft Collins.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM

10,875 posts, read 41,244,086 times
Ah, now I understand where you're coming from ... anybody's opinion that agrees with yours is fact and wonderful and will keep you happily on your feed, but anybody's opinion that doesn't is all wrong.

How about it moderators? Can we have a McGowdog and Josseppie Sub-Forum? I think it's a great idea, 'dog.

That way the mutual admiration society for Pueblo and everything that's absolutely wonderful about the place can have it's tight little society of boosters and the only opinions allowed would be those that totally agree with the two posters. Give the 'dog control of the forum, make him the imperial moderator, and let him remove anybody's post that doesn't agree with him 100%.

Smile, 'dog. I'm with you 100% all the way with this one. But promise that in exchange for your own exclusive sub-forum, you'll stay out of the rest which don't apparently agree with your views, OK?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,156,877 times
La Loma in Denver makes fresh tortillas...........

Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM

13,713 posts, read 21,537,667 times
Kewl.

Stay classy Sunsprit.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM

331 posts, read 867,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Sorry to the OP about veering off topic. I'll try to respond... while giving the wheel a slight correction;
I'll have to admit, I was aiding in derailing the thread... the thread just seemed to go from "here are some good foods in CO. Know of any others?" to "everything you eat is crap!!" I tried in a couple of posts to ask for good recommendations, and got a helpful reply that would hopefully get a few others to say "this is good food," but it just went back to saying "everything you eat is crap." So in an effort to lighten the mood, it failed and has now gone to "everything you think is crap." Ah well, it was an attempt.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,901,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
The food here is foul -- plain and simple! Unlike many states that really have a specialized, defined cuisine (New York and Chicago - Pizza, Philadelphia - Cheese steaks, Miami - Cuban, Atlanta - Southern, New Orleans - Cajun, LA and Phoenix - Mexican), this place has nothing! I have tried various Denver "institutions" with none of them satisfying a single one of my taste buds!

The Mexican here is extremely offensive with tasteless green chile literally splattered on everything in sight! It would be nice to have a plate of Mexican food here that isn't drowning in some mysterious, oily and watery green chile concoction. Where is my Horchata or Jamaica? If you're going to call yourself a Mexican restaurant at least whip up several gallons of Horchata and have some Jamaica spinning around! A tasteless, soggy burrito with a Sprite does nothing for me! Hello?!

I guess that leaves BeauJo's and Rocky Mountain Oysters for "local" cuisine! I'll pass.

Colorado does recreation well and that's it. Do not expect anything more, especially out of the food!

I don't eat Mexican food so I can't tell you if it's good or not here. But my husband and his friends do. We have a good friend from Northern California who is Hispanic and he visits Colorado often. He thinks the Mexican food here is really good and better than at home in N California.

Maybe the food isn't as good as it is in new mexico, but our friend who is hispanic and his mother is known for her fantasitc mexican food, I believe his palate for mexican food is better than my husbands abd he thinks the mexican food here is really good.

I wish I knew where they all eat when they go out.

But I know you're into finer things of life such as Ikea, well you're in luck because one is opening here soon!! You can eat there for $1 on Sundays while you're shopping to furnish your home.

Last edited by Cupcake77; 04-21-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or