Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM

198 posts, read 1,275,243 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think food in Colorado cities are a little bit underrated???

True, only in Denver can you really get the wide varieties of food, but there's good new mexican and green chili restaurants throughout Colorado. From the San Luis Valley to Pueblo and over to La Junta, Rocky Ford, and Las Animas have great mexican food. Than, you can head up to C-Springs and find Pueblo Viejo, Arceos (the one on South Nevada Ave), La Carreta, El Poblano, La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, Carlos Miguels Mexican Bar, etc. Granted, not as many good ones as Denver for a big city, but still its not hard to find it in the springs either. Then of course Denver has LOADS of Mexican restaurants, and like any big city, some are not that great. However, more often than not, they will be good in Denver. Even Longmont has Las Palmeras, Tacos Don Joses, Efrains Mexican restaurant. Also, Greeley has Cazadores, La Cafeteria, Albertos, Cisneros, and Coyotes Southwest Grill.

I don't even need to mention any of the good mexican places in Southern Colorado, as most people know its very good. My favorite place in Pueblo is definitely Mi Ranchito though. Its amazing. Also, my favorites in Denver are La Loma, La Cascada, Tacos mi Pueblo, Originial Chubbys (only the North Denver location), Bubba Chinos (only the south Federal and Edgewater locations), Hilarios, and El Rancherito.

My cousins from Albuquerque always talk about how underrated the New-Mex is in Colorado as well. Pueblo Chile's are also the bomb. The best green chili in this country is definitely found in New Mexico, Colorado, and California, BY FAR.

Besides Mexican, Denver also has wide varieties. Pete's Gyros Place for Greek, Africana Cafe and Ethiopian restaurant for Ethiopian food, Viets Restaurant and Pho Duy (many other asian restaurants in Denver), El Chalate and Tacos Acapulco for Salvadorian-mexican mixed restaurants, Szechuan and Wok Uptown for Chinese.

So, does anyone else think Colorado food is underrated???

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,226,383 times
I'm a Colorado native and I absolutely love the New Mexican food and green chile in Albuquerque, and unfortuantely I've found nothing in Denver, Colorado Springs, or Pueblo that compares (other than Little Anita's, which is an Albuquerque chain w/ 4 locations in the Denver metro area now), and I've been to a number of places you've listed above. I'd venture to say about 95% of the Mexican restaurants in the front range are downright crap. That includes Pueblo. What they call "green chile" in Pueblo looks and tastes like brown gravy. Pueblo is a place I really want to like, but every time I go there and have a meal there I end up becoming disappointed. I haven't spent any real time in the San Luis Valley though, so I'm not discounting the possibility that places like Alamosa might have some real gems.

Denver is the chain restuarant capital of the USA-- and I mean that in a literal sense, not a derogatory sense-- there are at least 20 now nationally prominent brands that started and/or are now headquartered in Denver-- Qdoba, Quiznos, Chipotle, Noodles, Spicy Pickle to name a few and a bunch of local-only chains such as Tokyo Joes and Illegal Petes. Sure, Denver, being a big city, has a wide variety of everything, but I certainly wouldn't call Denver a "food city."

When it comes to southwestern/Mexican food, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, El Paso, Tucson, and even Phoenix are the very best, IMO. Phoenix is very underrated when it comes to food. I lived in L.A. for a whole year, and never found a single place with decent Mexican food there. However, I've had some phenomenal authentic Mexican food in northern California in some small towns 1-2 hours north of San Francisco, so go figure???

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 AM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times
I disagree with Vegas on Mexican food and agrre with the OP.

Thanks OP, btw, for the well thought out and constructed post.

I'd like any ot yous to go to Martinez Cafe on Adams and Polk and eat the Polk Street Special... except for Vegas and Sunsprit. They can go to Mc Donalds.

We've got a new roach Coach called El Burro Bronco on about Hudson and East Fourth st that's fantastic.

Pics coming soon.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm a Colorado native and I absolutely love the New Mexican food and green chile in Albuquerque, and unfortuantely I've found nothing in Denver, Colorado Springs, or Pueblo that compares (other than Little Anita's, which is an Albuquerque chain w/ 4 locations in the Denver metro area now), and I've been to a number of places you've listed above. I'd venture to say about 95% of the Mexican restaurants in the front range are downright crap. That includes Pueblo. What they call "green chile" in Pueblo looks and tastes like brown gravy. Pueblo is a place I really want to like, but every time I go there and have a meal there I end up becoming disappointed. I haven't spent any real time in the San Luis Valley though, so I'm not discounting the possibility that places like Alamosa might have some real gems.

Denver is the chain restuarant capital of the USA-- and I mean that in a literal sense, not a derogatory sense-- there are at least 20 now nationally prominent brands that started and/or are now headquartered in Denver-- Qdoba, Quiznos, Chipotle, Noodles, Spicy Pickle to name a few and a bunch of local-only chains such as Tokyo Joes and Illegal Petes. Sure, Denver, being a big city, has a wide variety of everything, but I certainly wouldn't call Denver a "food city."

When it comes to southwestern/Mexican food, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, El Paso, Tucson, and even Phoenix are the very best, IMO. Phoenix is very underrated when it comes to food. I lived in L.A. for a whole year, and never found a single place with decent Mexican food there. However, I've had some phenomenal authentic Mexican food in northern California in some small towns 1-2 hours north of San Francisco, so go figure???
I was taking your post seriously until I read that 95% of mexican places on the front range are terrible, Pueblo can't do green chili, Little Anitas is good, and that you couldn't find good mexican in LOS ANGELES of all places. Im sorry, but I could not disagree more. On a side note, QDOBA, CHIPOTLE, QUIZNOS, NOODLES & COMPANY, started in Denver, but that makes Denver only a chain restaurant place??? I have been to Phoenix and they have just as many, if not more national chains that have made it there as well. Also, does that make LA a chain restaurant city because they have In-N Out, El Pollo Loco, etc.....NO. Also, as far as food variety in Denver.... find me a good greek, ethiopian, vietnamese, mongolian place anywhere else in this region that you can possibly name (with the exception of SLC which has GREAT asian foods. Also CA has great asian foods but its west coast)???

LA has GREAT mexican food! Ever been to any good places in northeast, east, southeast LA??? Or how about any places on Pico Blvd in the Pico-Union distrcit of west LA??? To discredit LA's mexican food is a real shame on your part.

Also, Pueblo can't do GREEN CHILI....WHAT?!?!? My cousins are natives from New Mexico (one lived in Santa Fe for 23 years, and the other in ABQ for 20 years) and I have eaten all over our little brother state of NM. They say the 3 best places they have had green chili is in Taos, Rocky Ford, and Pueblo, and they said Alamosa and Santa Fe were right there as well.

They have great New Mexican cuisine in NM, but you come on here with Little Anitas??? You really think LITTLE ANITAS is better than the average new-mex restaurant in Denver??? THATS INSANE! Thats like the ON THE BORDER or THREE MARGARITAS of New Mexico's food. i can eat it, but its by no means REALLY GOOD or GREAT or anything. You must be a narrow minded Coloradoan listening to all the other people in the places you've been. I know too many New Mexicans that respect and enjoy the New-Mex here in CO as much as there state, and vice versa. Back to my original thought...you dismissing Pueblo is totally off guard. They grow Pueblo Chile's in the desert lands down in Pueblo, and you think they don't do good green chile sauce??? it tastes like gravy??? where in the wide world of the SW have you been eating in Pueblo??? People that have moved here from New Mexico even say Pueblo has some of the best green chili is this country. It swell known Pueblo Chile's and Pueblo green chili is the bomb. It must be different opinions or something because I am baffeled by your statements.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 AM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times
Don't freak. Take it with a grain of salt. I worked my gizzards off on some Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food thread and these guys trashed my thread to the point I didn't even want to post it anymore.

Some folks don't like Green Chile period. I like the stuff and I make some of the best... but I credit my twice cooked pork and those Mira Sol Pueblo Chiles.

Here's that cater truck that I'd talked about and I ordered the Asada and Asado Gorditas and they were awesome;

We've got a place that I'd talked about in my thread here called Tortillas Delicious or something like that... the place on Sante Fe where it goes straight and towards the Dew Drop. This place has some awesome tamales, Green Chile by the quart, homeade tortillas, green and red chile burritos, and on weekends, you can get Carnitas, barbacoa, etc. But my green chile is still better.

I had some of that food "they" talk about... those Pueblo haters, and it tastes like skunk gak to me. So... different strokes I guess.

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-19-2011 at 04:44 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
How about those Denver Omelettes?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM

2,885 posts, read 7,100,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Don't freak. Take it with a grain of salt. I worked my gizzards off on some Pueblo Colorado Mexican Food thread and these guys trashed my thread to the point I didn't even want to post it anymore.

Some folks don't like Green Chile period. I like the stuff and I make some of the best... but I credit my twice cooked pork and those Mira Sol Pueblo Chiles.

Here's that cater truck that I'd talked about and I ordered the Asada and Asado Gorditas and they were awesome;

We've got a place that I'd talked about in my thread here called Tortillas Delicious or something like that... the place on Sante Fe where it goes straight and towards the Dew Drop. This place has some awesome tamales, Green Chile by the quart, homeade tortillas, green and red chile burritos, and on weekends, you can get Carnitas, barbacoa, etc. But my green chile is still better.

I had some of that food "they" talk about... those Pueblo haters, and it tastes like skunk gak to me. So... different strokes I guess.
Colorado green chile is one of our great regional foods. It comes in many versions, and we argue about it passionately. We find it, taste it, eat it and compare it to all the other version of colorado green chile we've eaten, all over the state.

It's not New Mexican green chile; it's not Tex-Mex; it's not California style - the Colorado style green chile is the signature of Colorado Mexican food.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,367,714 times
Colorado.Native.SW. needs to learn how to spell chile--it's with an "e," unless he or she is talking about Tex-Mex slop. Also, I have never had any decent green chile in California--despite trying to search it out. Most Mexican restaurants there just give you a dumb look if you try to order it. Pretty much the same way in Texas--until you get close to the Texas/New Mexico border. Vegas is right--the really good New Mexican food is, well, in New Mexico. There are a few places along the Front Range (and most of those in Pueblo, in my experience) that have it, but the best places are down in the San Luis Valley (well hidden to most Front Range residents) and some places in southwest Colorado--but usually only in places that DO NOT cater to the tourist trade. Aside from those places, the best green chile I've had in Colorado is at my own home--because I learned how to make it from some old-line Nuevo Mejicanos in New Mexico.

And, calling New Mexico "our little brother state" is a real insult to New Mexico--say that in some places down there and you're likely to get your a** handed to you. I hate to break it to you, but Colorado is NOT the known center of the universe to the Southwest or anywhere else, especially not the metro blob on the Front Range. It may be the trade center of the region and has some sports teams (yawn . . . ), but many people outside of Denver in this region don't think that the sun rises and sets on that mess. In fact, in many of our neighboring states, Coloradans--and metropolitan Coloradans, especially--are not held in high esteem.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Colorado.Native.SW. needs to learn how to spell chile--it's with an "e," unless he or she is talking about Tex-Mex slop. Also, I have never had any decent green chile in California--despite trying to search it out. Most Mexican restaurants there just give you a dumb look if you try to order it. Pretty much the same way in Texas--until you get close to the Texas/New Mexico border. Vegas is right--the really good New Mexican food is, well, in New Mexico. There are a few places along the Front Range (and most of those in Pueblo, in my experience) that have it, but the best places are down in the San Luis Valley (well hidden to most Front Range residents) and some places in southwest Colorado--but usually only in places that DO NOT cater to the tourist trade. Aside from those places, the best green chile I've had in Colorado is at my own home--because I learned how to make it from some old-line Nuevo Mejicanos in New Mexico.

And, calling New Mexico "our little brother state" is a real insult to New Mexico--say that in some places down there and you're likely to get your a** handed to you. I hate to break it to you, but Colorado is NOT the known center of the universe to the Southwest or anywhere else, especially not the metro blob on the Front Range. It may be the trade center of the region and has some sports teams (yawn . . . ), but many people outside of Denver in this region don't think that the sun rises and sets on that mess. In fact, in many of our neighboring states, Coloradans--and metropolitan Coloradans, especially--are not held in high esteem.
First of all, I only said "our little brother state" because a guy from New Mexico tried to call CO New Mexico's "yuppie" brother state, which was funny but I disagreed. I like both CO and NM, but I am from Colorado so yeah, take a chill pill jazzlover. To compare the good new-mex places in CO to tex-mex slop is a disservice. Also, we must not be in the same places in LA. I have eaten all over East Los Angeles when I have been to LA numerous times, and they KNOW what green chili/green chile sauce is. It almost sounds like the people that are bashing the new-mex in CO have never been a predominant Latino areas in this state, and we have many.

Also, I spell it sometimes with an E or an I. They could be green chile peppers or green chili peppers. It does not really matter how I spell it. Maybe our border state of New Mexico and four corner state of Arizona don't like the "METRO BLOB" in CO, but Phoenix has turned into such sprawl as well, do other people hate Phoenix???

There is a difference between each states "MEXICAN FOOD". I have never been in Nevada or Utah, and eaten there mexican food there, so I do not know what they do in those two states. I know California does Cali-mex, or really has just about anything in there state, and its NOT hard to find good mexican in California or LA. I know Arizona does mainly mexican cuisine and tex-mex. I don't really care for Tex-Mex, although I can eat. Texas really does Tex-Mex obviously. It seems like NM & CO do New-mex and Mexican cuisine. Other posters in other threads talked about how authentic mexican cuisine has fish, shredded meats, and such. Its true, not every place in CO is going to have that in Mexican cuisine places, but many do! La Cascada in Denver is one of my favorites and they have fish and other mexican cuisine items all over there menu. Also, I only listed ORIGINAL CHUBBY'S because its a good place to go and get a quick burrito smothered in green or cheese fries smothered as well. So if no one has been to the original on 38th and Lipan in North Denver, don't comment on Chubby's like some posters in other threads.

Colorado simply has too large of a Latino/Chicano and Immigrant population to be thrown away as some Tex-mex slop. By the way, Tex-Mex is hard to come by in CO, so whats tex-mex in your mind??? Also, it seems like some people on here can't admit there are crappy new-mex places in New Mexico as well, they all can't be amazing. But to say all or most of the places in Colorado are crap is crap. So thanks for trashing and taking down my thread. Anytime you mention new-mex on tese threads, the "EXPERTS" (at least they think of themselves as that) have to critique it. This thread isn't just about NEW-MEX in CO either. I mentioned the good variety of food in Denver. Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Salvadorian, Ethiopian, etc. Where in all these states in this region (UT, NV, AZ, NM, CO) can you find other good food with that variety other than Denver??? I'll give anyone that SLC has good asian foods, and of course CA has wide varieties of food, but thats a west coast state.

I don't think of CO as a mecca either, its another state in this region but I live here. I am not going to trask talk a person from Arizona or New Mexico who talks about the good food in there states, or I am not going to say they think there respective state is a mecca or the sun rises with there state, because thats a stupid statement.

I will respect your opinion that most New-Mex places in CO are not good to you, but respect other people's opinions as well. My cousins are New Mexico born and bread, and they admit CO has some pretty good new-mex places as well. Like i said, they have eaten all over their home state, and I have eaten all over all the SW states, I have a pretty good grab on it. They still to this day tell me the best place they've had green chile/green chili sauce is in Taos, Rocky Ford, and Pueblo, with Santa Fe and Alamosa coming close behind. The people that knock the New-Mex in CO has likely beene ating at Blue Bonet, Casa Bonita, Three Margaritas, or anything like that for way too long. Also, to say that Denver is chain restaurant city like the other poster is straight up wrong. Sure, chains like Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles and Company, Quiznos, all started here in Denver, but that does not mean Denver does not have wide variety of pretty good food or that we are a chain city.

Most big chains have made it to Phoenix or LA, does that make them chain cities....NO. Also, good mexican food is NOT HARD to find in LA. Thats the most ridiculous of all, with the exception of another poster saying the only thing that comes close to new mexico's new-mex is Little Anitas...I literally had to read that twice to see if it was really typed that way.

i respect other people's opinion, but many Colorado people, myself, and many New Mexican people who have moved here that I know could not disagree more.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How about those Denver Omelettes?
Agreed. Tell me that Colorado and Denver do not have good Denver omelettes and southwest omelettes. Granted, some places they probably aren't good, but a lot of places in CO do both of those perfect.

But on a side note, for all these other "EXPERTS" to dismiss CO's green chile/green chili sauce is just baffling. I respect opinions though, and I hope the "EXPERTS" can as well. I guess anyone I know from New Mexico or cousins that are from there should consult the "EXPERTS" before talking about New-Mex in CO & NM. Sounds good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado