U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telluride View Post
It looks as though you are getting good info....up until "jazzlover". I tried not to comment, but it was eating at me. His comments about the community should be over looked as they are wrong and don't really have anything to do with your inqiry. I have spent my whole life in Telluride and his "local" and "phony" comments are flat out wrong (he only gets that impression because of his own crappy attitude). You are going to LOVE it here! Take a look at the event/festival schedule to see if something sparks a decision on time frame and be ready to have a blast. (Waiting until at least June is best as May is still pretty quite with locals and businesses returning and getting ready for the summer season.)
I stand on my comments and recommendations. I have over four decades of familiarity with Telluride. I'm not the only one with what you term a "crappy" attitude about the place. There are plenty of western Colorado residents who dislike what the town has become in the last 30 years and have no use for many of the people now there. It's also overpriced for the average college student, unless they plan on camping in a tent for lodging--which can be done in many places in the San Juans that are just as beautiful and are much more natural and quiet than in Telluride.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 PM

10,869 posts, read 41,150,426 times
I'll agree with Jazzlover here ...

I've had travel through that area since the mid 1960's, and when Telluride was a low key undiscovered mountain town, it had it's charm and attraction. But in later years, it became the discovery of the beautiful people who had been priced out of the Aspen marketplace who turned it into a mini-me Aspen, only with even more of an attitude.

I visited there several times with the intent of purchasing land and properties on speculation that they would go up dramatically ... which they did ... but was so turned off by the scene there that I didn't buy there. I had a vision problem ... I couldn't see myself dealing with the likely tenants inhabiting the area in my possible rental properties, it was that obnoxious. Perhaps if you've only been there since the 1980's, it's what you're acclimated to and your yardstick is skewed to what goes on there as normal.

I've flown there in the last few years, and everytime the groups that I travel with decide to land there for lunch and a gander at what the town is like for an afternoon, I am consistently overwhelmed at how much of cute, expensive, tourist trap town it is. Starting with the excessive cost of surface transportation from the airport to town, then the expensive menu's (read: poor value), and the genuinely indifferent service at many restaurants (perhaps earnest and friendly, but excuses don't equal performance) .... I've had more than one experience for lunch where the staff reeked of dope (clothing, on their breath, in their hair) and appeared to be under the influence. It's that kind of attitude ... yeah man, like I'm perfectly capable of doing my job in a workmanlike manner while I'm stoned. It's pretty bad when the dope smell is stronger than the aroma of food from some of the greasy spoons .... One place was so strong that my tongue was tingling just walking past the place. Keep in mind that I'm flying my own small aircraft in the mountains, and I need to have all of my faculties intact to do so safely ... so it's pretty alarming that the places are so apparently tolerant of this behavior and I'm not interested in what they're providing. I should mention that it includes not only restaurants, but some of the galleries and souvenier and gift shop storefronts as well as bicycling around the town area ....

Looking at my logs, I haven't been back there in several years and when they shut the runway down for repairs awhile back ... given that I've flown over to Montrose and GJ several times for business and then camped out in other mountain areas in the region, it tells me that whatever Telluride has to offer simply doesn't appeal to me or I'd have stopped over there again ... but I didn't.

Agreed, it sits in a spectacular location, and the real beauty of the place is the mountains around. Absent any desire to attend a specific event, you can enjoy all that the outdoors (camping, hiking, fishing) in the area has to offer by staying in other towns or camping in the public lands that abound in the region.

Weather-wise, I'd take the late summer over the mud season of late spring.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-21-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,632,560 times
You're college kids, yall will have a blast in Telluride this summer.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Telluride has had a huge drug problem for years. An individual that I know who worked in Telluride cleaining condos (commuting from a "normal" town to do so) back in the 1980's told of the innumerable times that tenants in the condos would leave lines of cocaine as tips for the cleaning staff. This individual--who never drank or used drugs--stated, "I don't know how many thousands of dollars worth of cocaine I swept into the wastebasket, but it was a lot."

I personally have seen illicit drugs used openly on the streets of Telluride--often right in front of tourists with children. Yeah, great town, alright . . .

Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

10,521 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Telluride has had a huge drug problem for years. An individual that I know who worked in Telluride cleaining condos (commuting from a "normal" town to do so) back in the 1980's told of the innumerable times that tenants in the condos would leave lines of cocaine as tips for the cleaning staff. This individual--who never drank or used drugs--stated, "I don't know how many thousands of dollars worth of cocaine I swept into the wastebasket, but it was a lot."

I personally have seen illicit drugs used openly on the streets of Telluride--often right in front of tourists with children. Yeah, great town, alright . . .
I know a lot of the law enforcement assigned to help Telluride PD with the summer festivals, they are told to ignore drug use. Officers have told me they've had people actually smoke a joint in front of them and there's nothing they can do. If they were not paid so well, none of them would go back.

But I can see how college age kids would have a blast there.

Not for me though, I can't stand that town.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 PM

I sense a line of thinking here ... that "college kids" and drug use are inextricably linked to the concept of having fun, and that Telluride is "party central" for the OP heading out to Colorado.

Is that really the message we want to send out about tourism for Colorado?

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-21-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM

79 posts, read 248,910 times
the only thing I agree with Jazz about is that "July-August is definitely preferable to May-early June as far as weather"

You will have a wonderful time. You might want to ask a similar question in a more travel oriented forum. The kind of forum that gives Trip Advise. Enjoy Telluride! It's one of my favorite spots.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,609,765 times
ShellKing has a good point about changing to a more travel related site, you may try Trip Advisor, some nice helpful folks over there.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
ShellKing has a good point about changing to a more travel related site, you may try Trip Advisor, some nice helpful folks over there.
Didn't you used to live in Telluride?

IF so, do you have any kind words about the place for the OP's inquiry?

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,609,765 times
sunspirt we did live in Telluride about 12 years ago, I'm sure it has changed since you knew it but we had a good experience there. Yes there were/are drugs and trustafarians, but we made some great normal friends and felt very welcomed by the community.

I did comment earlier to the OP that I felt the summer was a better time to visit rather than May when the town's sidewalks are still rolled up, but that things were also more expensive in high season.

My recommendation to try Trip Advisor is because the folks there are more apt to give vacation advice. Personally I enjoy Telluride, I think it's a nice little town, I feel lucky to have been able to live there. I still enjoy visiting and encourage other people to visit also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or