U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,015 times

Advertisements

I am a college student from Louisiana, some friends and I are planning on visiting Telluride sometime this summer, and I am wondering what would be the best time possible if anyone knows. Our time windows are from May 14th- June 1st and July 30th-August 20th of those two times which one would be better in your opinion?? Thanks a lot for any help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,638,364 times
Is there anything in particular you're going to be doing in that area?

Weather should be warmer in late summer, but frequent t-storms are the hallmark of summertime here, so if you're planning to hike in the mountains the rule of thumb of veteran hikers is to be off the mountain by noon, i.e., before the storms crank up with lots of lightning strikes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,015 times
Theres nothing in particular I don't think, just sight seeing, and doing all that we can while were there. I would definitely love to go hiking while we're there if that's an option. Is hiking better in the late summer as opposed to the middle of may??

Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,587,411 times
Wink Planet of Telluride

Depending on what kind of excursions you plan on taking, the Telluride Mushroom Festival is scheduled for the later part of August (18-21, 2011).

On a more worldly plane, one will discover more snow early in the season. That could be a factor, depending on where one intends to hike. The weather will not be as warm as later in the summer, but in some respects possibly better as more moderate, without the high chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

These thunderstorms can be quite a show and treat if in the mood. Although the safest vantage to enjoy them is not on top of some peak. From just that standpoint one would be best inside, away from anything electronic with a cord. But if willing to accept a bit more risk, one could still be out and about; if below tree line within the forest probably okay. The greater chance is simply getting solidly wet quickly.

Another consideration is in how you wish to experience Telluride. In weather it will be spring versus summer well advanced. I cannot say exactly, but this will also be a choice between a town somewhat quiet, the lull between the activity of winter and that to fully come in summer, and all the many more people and activities of summer. Lodging in Telluride is never exactly cheap, but it is likely to be all the less available and more expensive come fully summer.

Hopefully someone with direct local experience can better inform you, but either of your proposed dates should be fine, only different in character and flavor.

Also, aside from the obvious charms of Telluride, it would be a pity to come as far and not experience in part the lovely region it inhabits. One full day devoted would suffice for a road trip from there south over Lizard Head Pass (10,222 feet) to pass through Rico, before diverting at Dolores to head to Durango on US 160. Thence north on US 550 through Silverton and Ouray, to at last turn east at Ridgeway on CO 62 towards Placerville on the way to home to Telluride. Perhaps, if driving, you will already have negotiated the high mountain passes of US 550 through the heart of the San Juan mountains. But one way or another, it is an excursion that will be remembered. Lovely country, with often quaint and unique towns.

The free republic of Telluride but one of them.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM

1,605 posts, read 2,545,944 times
Telluride hosts quite a few music festivals and events in the summer. Unless you plan on attending, you may want to avoid it during those times.
Here's a list: Telluride CO Festivals and Events | Visit Telluride Colorado

Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,113,167 times
Much of the town closes up during May. Ski season is over, lots of local business take a vacation before summer season and there is mud due to the snow melt. August is a great time to visit and the Mushroom fest is a blast, but it will be considerably more expensive than off season.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM

5,248 posts, read 4,570,633 times
Jazz Festival - Telluride Jazz Celebration - music festival in Telluride, Colorado

Blues Festival - The 18th Annual Telluride Blues & Brews Festival ~ September 16 - 18, 2011 ~ Telluride, Colorado

Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 PM

13,224 posts, read 12,404,446 times
And IMO the most poular one is the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, going for its 38th year this year. It's set up for June 16th to June 19th. A number of acts at this one, amongst them Emmy Lou Harris, Sarah McGoughlin, and Robert Plant (formerly of Led Zeppelin) and his new band called Band Of Joy.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 AM

8,177 posts, read 16,209,860 times
Telluride sits in one of the most beautiful locales in Colorado, but it has way more than its share of "the beautiful people" who really are pretty obnoxious. I have friends who do business in Telluride and they all have horror stories of wealthy trustifarians and part-time residents who don't pay their bills, weasel on contracts, and generally are miserable to deal with. That is the type of local (though I use "local" broadly--few people living in Telluride now have been there more than a few years) that you will likely encounter there. I also know people born and raised in Telluride back when it was a "real" town who refuse to go there now. So, if you're looking for a "real" Colorado experience, it's fine to pass through phony Telluride, but stay somewhere else. Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, Dolores, Cortez, etc. may have their share of tourist glitz, but they are far more authentic Colorado, and are close to the same spectacular mountain country. My personal pick for the most authentic town is Silverton. Of course, if you want to be stupid and score some illicit drugs and get wide, then Telluride is your place. There are a few really nice people in Telluride, mostly long-term residents, but they are a distinct minority.

July-August is definitely preferable to May-early June as far as weather, though the July-August timeframe is during the Southwest Monsoon, when thunderstorms are likely just about every afternoon. That may be a blessing this year, as southwest Colorado is very dry this year, and it may take that moisture to green things back up if a normally dry late May and June occurs and dries things up even more.

Last edited by jazzlover; 04-21-2011 at 10:32 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,407 times
It looks as though you are getting good info....up until "jazzlover". I tried not to comment, but it was eating at me. His comments about the community should be over looked as they are wrong and don't really have anything to do with your inqiry. I have spent my whole life in Telluride and his "local" and "phony" comments are flat out wrong (he only gets that impression because of his own crappy attitude). You are going to LOVE it here! Take a look at the event/festival schedule to see if something sparks a decision on time frame and be ready to have a blast. (Waiting until at least June is best as May is still pretty quite with locals and businesses returning and getting ready for the summer season.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado