U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,465 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need to find an apartment in Trinidad quickly. I need a 1 bdrm, furnishied if possible, and allows small dog. Can anyone recommend a place or area in Trinindad? Also are there areas to stay away from as well? Looking to move in before May 1st.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times
I love Trinidad! Lucky you.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Moving to Trinidad? My condolences.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 PM

840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Moving to Trinidad? My condolences.
Trinidad is a neat little town. My mom is from there. I always kind of liked it.....

Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM

I all seriousness I think it will be hard to find a furnished apartment that allows pets. It's not the "furnished apartment" type of town. You may be able to rent a room or something like that.

How much do you know about the town? What is bringing you there? A job? As far as places to avoid, it's really a small town (just 10,000 people) and there are not really any areas that really stand out as areas to avoid. There are some neat mom/pop dining options and boutique (if that appeals to you) but as far as mainstream options, you will be limited to Wal-Mart and McDonald's.

If you need more info, feel free to shoot some specific questions out.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Trinidad is a neat little town. My mom is from there. I always kind of liked it.....
I know some like the place. I lived there when I was in high school and all though it was not all bad, I have few positive things to say about the backwards and small minded provincial nature of the place. I joined the service after graduating high school, left Trinidad, and don't miss it at all.

My parents still live there, and I have visited a couple times. The town has come a long way since I left, but I still wouldn't go back there to live. No way, no how.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I know some like the place. I lived there when I was in high school and all though it was not all bad, I have few positive things to say about the backwards and small minded provincial nature of the place. I joined the service after graduating high school, left Trinidad, and don't miss it at all.

My parents still live there, and I have visited a couple times. The town has come a long way since I left, but I still wouldn't go back there to live. No way, no how.
Having spent tons of time in Monterey, CA. myself, I can see why you wouldn't like Trinidad if you love Monterey. Worlds apart. Now for me growing up in CA. Then spending time in more rural town, I would take the small town any day then to live where there is no end to population. Now your area is one of the prettier parts of Hightway 1.

Trinidad is for someone who love to boat, fish, hunt and still have plenty of things to do in the winter. You can get to the slopes, large towns quite easily. I am not thrilled with Pueblo but boy to I love Santa Fe and in retirement what would be the problem to go to Santa Fe once a month?

Each to their own. My family in CA would NOT move to a cattle ranch like mine if you paid them to.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM

840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
Quote:

I know places like Trinidad are not for everyone, but the town had a major role in the history of my family....

About a hundred years ago, my great grandfather worked for the railroad and was stationed in Wagon Mound, NM. My grand mother was born in Wagon Mound in February of 1918 and the family moved to Trinidad shortly thereafter when my great grandfather was transferred. My other great grandfather on my mom's side of the family was a young Czechoslovakian immigrant who ended up there working for one of the mining companies. Eventually, he married, had children and finally owned a restaurant with his wife...

Finally, right before WWII a young couple met and fell in love. My grand parents, Marco and Eugenia, raised three little girls in their house on Atchison street. My mother being one of those girls...

In 1960, my father was an 18 year old farmer's son from Limon Colorado. He came to Trinidad to attend TSJC where they had an excellent gunsmithing school. Like any young man away from home he needed a place to stay and ended up renting a room from my mother's grand mother. It was how my parents met.

My mother was too young then, but my father wrote her letters every week when he was in the Army. By the time he returned to the United States, my mother was all grown up. The first thing my father did after he was discharged from the Army was to drive to Oklahoma City where my mother was staying with my aunt while my uncle was away in Vietnam. My dad drove out there in a hurry because my mom wanted to go home. He ended up driving through one of the biggest blizzards on record to get her back to Trinidad....

My folks were married in 1968 in Trinidad and settled in Colorado Springs where they live to this day.

My grand father, Marco, died of a heart attack in 1978 but my grandmother continued to live there until 1988 when she moved to the Springs as well.....

Sadly, I have no living relatives that I know of still there, but it is still a town with a lot of significance to me.....

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM

I agree that it is in a nice area, geographically. West of town are some great places to hike or camp, or just take a day trip for some photos. And I certainly would not fault someone who has such family history in the area for maintaining a special place in their heart for the area.

But I knew that I wanted more. Keep in mind, I lived there in the 1990s. There were numerous gang-related problems, even for such a small town. I dealt with frequent attacks and bullying due to my skin color. No problem, I have always had thick skin, but the fact that I could handle it didn't make it right. A few years after I graduated high school I was back in town for Christmas when I learned that a couple of these guys had been involved in a murder. My dad told me about one guy who got stabbed to death. I told dad that it didn't make me happy, but that it was a matter of time anyways, based on how that guy lived his life. Tragic? Yes. Surprising? Not at all.

As for other kids who were not in gangs or problem makers, I was surprised at the lack of ambition. Many students that I went to high school with are still there, having never set foot out of the town. Now some of them are legitimately happy with their decision and that is great. But I know that many of them regret not leaving and are now stuck. One girl from my senior class even once told me that she was afraid to leave but wished she could summon the courage to go somewhere else.

Generally, service in the town is notably worse than other areas. People just are not polite and do not care about their jobs. I still believe this, even after living in the Washington D.C. area! There's just something in the water there...

Local politics are dominated by one of the most provincial mindsets you'll ever see. I realize that politics is completely subjective based on where you sit, but this area is just...dysfunctional. The city government, from elected officials to bureaucrats seem to be incompetent. (I guess that's really a problem everywhere! ) They don't think about what they're doing. One year they went to upgrade their fleet of police cars, and marched right up the road to Pueblo to order new Crown Victorias without even considering ordering through the Ford dealer that is RIGHT THERE ON MAIN STREET! What kind of city government behaves this way. My dad opened a donut shop in a building on Main Street, and had to make several renovations to it. Getting permits was a nightmare and almost shut down the plans for the business before it even got started! What kind of city works so hard to discourage businesses from opening? Trinidad does.

I know it probably sounds like I have an ax to grind, but I really don't. Generally I do not say anything negative here on CD about places I do not like. I've seen a few Trinidad area posts and this is only the 2nd one I've commented on. So it's not like I'm sitting around waiting for a chance to bash the area. I do have some fond memories of those years, but most of them are weakly (if at all) correlated to the town itself. I actually dislike the place a little more every time I visit. There is still a lot about the area that appeals to a lot of people. Farmers and ranchers, etc. There is also a bit of a hippie/beat nick culture there. And of course, a deep Hispanic presence as well. But there is so much more to this world, and while I know I can't see it all, I'm definitely not wasting any more years in a place like Trinidad!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 AM

[quote=iknowftbll;18840410]I agree that it is in a nice area, geographically. West of town are some great places to hike or camp, or just take a day trip for some photos. And I certainly would not fault someone who has such family history in the area for maintaining a special place in their heart for the area.

But I knew that I wanted more. .
But I know that many of them regret not leaving and are now stuck.
Generally, service in the town is notably worse than other areas. People just are not polite and do not care about their jobs.

Local politics are dominated by one of the most provincial mindsets you'll ever see. I realize that politics is completely subjective based on where you sit, but this area is just...dysfunctional.

I am sorry you had such a time in Trinidad. I hope and from my visits Main street is a very friendly place NOW. Like you I left CA because I wanted something better. So better is in the eye of the holder. I lived almost 30 years in the area you live now and visit often. All my family is there and after living in many small tows I know what I prefer and better is small to me.

LOCAL POLITICS is the same here in Eastern OK as what you saying in Trinidad. NOW THE LAND I am thinking of buying is on the Santa Fe Trail Subdivision on the Raton pass and those people are wonderful.

I spend a few times each year at the Tarabino's B & B and just love the place, love MAIN STREET.

I am very glad you love Monteray. I too liked the area and see why you do.

My children were raised rural, mostly oversees and then on a cattle ranch. One is in OKC and the other Stillwater. THEY LOVE CITY and wouldn't want my life either SO, what I am saying is thank goodness we all do not want to live in the same spot in Good Old America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado