U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:56 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,527,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsavenger View Post
In the northern front range area (ft collins, boulder, and also parts of denver), evangelical conservative christians are seen by most as being kinda backwards, and are not readily accepted into the community. Strict church goers with conservative ideas about social issues and an evangelical inclination seem to be socially isolated and disliked here. There are a couple of conservative churches around here, but they keep an extremely low profile.
I haven't noticed this at all. Every city I've ever been to on the Front Range has a number of large churches and a significant part of the community attends church. Even Boulder has some large and prominent churches, despite its reputation. There may be a few individuals who dislike religious people or church, but that isn't very widely reflected in the population as a whole as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM

13,713 posts, read 21,537,667 times
The original poster had requested info about bible based churches.

Now the question remains; what bible? I could assume we are talking about Christianity. Furthermore, are we talking about those who use the NAS, the NIV, the King James version, etc.

We live in a culture where we don't want to offend anybody. I recently overheard two people talking about a family of 16, 14 of them children and one asked the other "Are they a Christian family?" The other responded "No, I think they are Mormon."

I have some friends who would be offended by that.

I met a group of guys in Denver who study and practice the "Gospel" out of the NAS (I believe this is correct) bible. They attend one and only one church there in Denver and I can't remember the name of it. Those guys were really helpful to me when I was going through a hard time and they took me in as family. I've since lost touch with them. They were very judgemental of other Religions and used a very specific bible.

If I'm driving to work late I like to tune in to Charles Stanley's program at 8:30am. I don't know what specific brand of religion he adheres to (perhaps he's a Baptist) but it always works for me.

Take Dr Laura on the other hand. I used to like what she preached but was skeptical of her reputation and experience in life. I did, however, respect her stance on her religion (I believe she is Jewish) and acceptance of Christianity. It was kind of a "be true to your own" stance.

One of my mentors explained his early view of agnosticism in this paraphrase: "The teachings of Christ-most excellent, but not to closely followed by those who claimed Him".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or