U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM

13,416 posts, read 42,768,615 times

Advertisements

What Shuffler said. I lived in Johnstown back in the late 1980s, it was a quiet little rural place, I bought the house at 22 Harding street for about $40K, I electrified the garage and built the carport next to it. While driving the M3 home from Memphis, I went through Denver and dropped by the old place, this was 2002 or 2003, IIRC. The McMansion builders have ruined the area, and as far as living there and working in Denver, well, you can have it, pal.

Colarado has some weird land-use regulations, you can't build a country home on less than 20 acres, so the few out there that are grandfathered can cost more than they are worth.

It does snow quite a bit around Denver. You can have sudden blizzards even into April. But I also remember riding motorcycle on a bone-dry road, in the warm sun, with snow right up to the edge of the road.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 06-04-2008 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Add why I know how it is now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,572,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ68 View Post
Hello, my husband and I are moving to Johnstown all the way from New York State. I have done alot of research. We own a RV. I am having a bit of trouble finding out which sub divisions allow them. Any advice would be appreciated, as we will be there in about four weeks.
Check with the HOA in whatever place you choose to live...in most cases HOAs don't want RVs in the 'hood. Any knowledgeable realtor should have simple info like this available. There are some boat/RV storage places along I-25 in the area, however...

Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,734 times
Thanks all!!! Not used to the whole HOA thing. We dont really have to worry about those where we live now. We live in a nice area without restrictions like those. I wish my realtor would have told me. Would have saved me alot of work. I am finding communities that do allow RVs and/or do not have HOAs at all. We will be there in a couple of weeks. I am still researching schools and neighborhoods. We will definitely get a better feel for the area once we are there. I am from a smallish town. Allthough, it has tripled in size in the last ten years. I do prefer the small town feel. We will be looking in Johnstown, Milliken, Loveland, and possibly Berthoud. Any advice you can give an out of towner would be appreciated.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,218 times
Default Possibly leaving Texas for Colorado

I have read this thread two or three times, and I really like what I hear about Johnstown. My husband and I are retired Texas teachers, and we want to live closer to one of our kids--our son lives in Denver and our daughter lives in Los Angeles. We fell in love with Colorado several years ago and are seriously considering the Johnstown area. We were there in September, and upon driving up on a cornfield, my husband said, "I can live here!" We are not interested in buying a house right away--we want some time to get acclimated and to determine if we want to stay. We both love the idea of a small town close to metropolitan areas. I have spent hours on the Net, and the rents seem more than reasonable. I do have two questions: (1) What about health care? (2) Do many retired people live in the area? We saw lots of very young families in Milliken. Thanks for any help!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,572,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NenaT View Post
I have read this thread two or three times, and I really like what I hear about Johnstown. My husband and I are retired Texas teachers, and we want to live closer to one of our kids--our son lives in Denver and our daughter lives in Los Angeles. We fell in love with Colorado several years ago and are seriously considering the Johnstown area. We were there in September, and upon driving up on a cornfield, my husband said, "I can live here!" We are not interested in buying a house right away--we want some time to get acclimated and to determine if we want to stay. We both love the idea of a small town close to metropolitan areas. I have spent hours on the Net, and the rents seem more than reasonable. I do have two questions: (1) What about health care? (2) Do many retired people live in the area? We saw lots of very young families in Milliken. Thanks for any help!
Nena, you might want to consider larger economic factors at play here. I don't know that Johnstown is where I'd want to be if the 'economy' implodes further and things have yet to sort themselves out. As these are 'bedroom communities', I'm wondering if those young families are going to have jobs to commute to in the next 6-12mos....and how many amenities will be left in the surrounding area. Just something to think about.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Johnstown and the economy

Good point! Thanks...

Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,775,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NenaT View Post
Health Care is great around here. Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland is a level 2 trauma center and a cardiac hospital. Very good care there. You may want to look at Loveland as a lot of retired folks live there.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Loveland

Wow! Thanks!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,195,278 times
DH applied for a position in Milliken- the Fire Chief position. We toured the area today. I couldn't get past the smell! It reminded me of Iowa, when I was a little girl. Don't know how much it will bother me. I am an educator, sped and regular ed. I am also working on becoming BCAB certified (behavior consultant for individuals...like on the autism scale). We looked at some of the home divisions and am not sure if that is for us. We are also looking at homes with land- a place for our RV and ATVs. We are currently in Fountain, south of Colorado Springs and love it here. DH is a ff at the United States Air Force Academy and I teach on Fort Carson...so a lot of diversity. It looks like the area is predominately white there in Johnston and Milliken?? I didn't know such places existed! I enjoy teaching in Title I schools with a diverse population...not sure what to do with kids who have parents that really take an interest in their child's education- I've met so few of them! I am not sure how much I will like the transition because I have lived in COS for 12 years and I have never been a fan of Denver much less done much north of Denver. I take that back, we visited Loveland once and hit Estes Park a couple of times. Wish us luck and pray that God leads us down his path!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado