U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM

123 posts, read 216,539 times

Advertisements

And..............there are so many places that are in desperate need of subsitute teachers (especially Denver) that you can get a sub license to teach on a sub basis for $100 clams a day....you can make it work Bern !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM

16 posts, read 14,099 times
I must say, before I was a bit nervous. However, now I am more excited than anything. Everyone's advice and words of rational and realistic encouragement (if such a thing exists) have been great. On another great note, both my parents are extremely supportive now after talking to them over the weekend and explaining my rationale (and showing the fact that I have actually thought it out). I am in the process of updating my resume and gathering contacts.

Right I'm updating my resume and getting contacts together that may be able to help me. This week I'll get a chance to talk with a few people that do consulting for some of the lager companies in Denver so it might open up an opportunity or two for me. If not, it doesn't hurt to know a few more people in the area. I've also managed to find a few odd-jobs to bring in some more cash before the move. If that wasn't enough, I've put in an application for a 2nd job in the time being and spoking with the manager at the local climbing gym I go to (SportRock of Alexandria).

I'm starting to get really excited and can't wait to get my shot at it. Worst comes to worse, I'll have to move back in with my parents and thru-hike that Appalachian trail before getting back to the daily grind of office work.

On another note, everyone of my family and friends that I have spoken to about this has said (each in the same exact way which is creepy) "I'm going to hate to see you go, but I really think you would be alot happier out there." I didn't realize it was so apparent!

I am looking forward to hearing more advice and stories of other people's adventure to try and make it while I start to write my own. Who knows, maybe I'll have a job out there sooner than I though and can enjoy the summer in the mountain sunshines

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Bern

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Well I'm starting to get all the loose ends (as far as planning goes) all tied up. I've been contacting people about rentals that area available as well as gathering contacts to help with networking out there. Two problems I've noticed off the bat:

1. It's very difficult to if at all possible to get interviews when you are out of state.
  2. My window for affordable and nice housing is very narrow. All the college/grad students will be moving out in the coming months with all the rentals being taken by late August.
To address the first problem, I've decided that I'm just going to have to look for work when I'm out there. As for the second problem, I've started putting together budget info to figure out the earliest that I can leave. My original goal was September. Now I am aiming for late July.

If you don't mind, can you check out the budget info I've put together to see if it seems reasonable/accurate? I think I've accounted for most everything but I may have missed something. You can find it here. I've talked to a few people and I would be able to get close to $3,400.00 next month doing odd jobs (painting, carpentry, landscaping) which would help push up the timeline. Assuming I can do that, that would allow me to leave my current job in the second week of June.

I would greatly appreciate any input people can offer, you've been great so far!

Bern

Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM

10,906 posts, read 41,408,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernjc3 View Post
If you don't mind, can you check out the budget info I've put together to see if it seems reasonable/accurate? I think I've accounted for most everything but I may have missed something. You can find it here.

I would greatly appreciate any input people can offer, you've been great so far!

Bern
Looking at your spreadsheet ... I'm thinking you've underestimated several items:

1) $75/month for car gas is awfully tight for you to get around in Denver's car dependent culture. Even if you live in an area serviced by RTD public transportation ... you may find it difficult to get to work and back in a timely manner, especially if you're doing casual work around the area. At current prices, you're looking at 400 miles per month or so of driving ... and if you're seeking recreation, such as heading to the hills to go camping, you'll use around half of your monthly mileage just for the one trip.

2) Your insurance payment, is for your car, right? What about renter's insurance for your belongings in your apartment? Do you have stuff that should be covered? Also, is your car insurance policy going to be coverage for you in Colorado as a resident? You should check with your agent.

3) Less than $40 per week for food is an exceptionally tight budget. Unless you're a scratch cook and eating a lot of homemade beans and rice, this may be an unattainable goal and difficult to adhere to for any length of time. Going out to eat, even at fast food places with no tips ... it's really easy to spend $5 at a minimum for a sandwhich meal.

4) You've left out the fees that you'll encounter to establish Colorado residency. You'll need to get a Colorado driver's license, as well as register/license your car in Colorado within a month when you get employment here. If you plan on camping out a lot, then an annual Parks Pass is a savings over daily fees.

5) Without a job to show income, many apartment rentals will not be available to you. You'll need that 1st/last/ and a damage deposit to get into a place. That could be a lot more money than you've budgeted. If you're looking at an apartment where you pay your own utilities, you'll need to give the utility companies a deposit equal to (at a minimum) their historical records for monthly use to get service in your name. Perhaps you'll do better to find somebody who already has an apartment that is seeking a roomate to split expenses for awhile as you locate a job and income.

6) Keep in mind that you're coming out at a time when a lot of students and young adults are also seeking summer employment. In short, there's a lot of competition for the types of jobs you may be able to do unless you've got a degree or special training to qualify you apart from the masses.

7) You've not included any allocation for clothing/footwear, etc. Don't know what climate you're coming from, but moving to Denver will require you to have appropriate winter weight clothing and footwear at some point in time. While this can be obtained fairly inexpensively to get by, it's still an expense you need to anticipate.

8) You've made no contingency spending for unexpected expenses ... ranging from car maintenance/repairs to any medical costs that may arise.

9) Lastly, you've made no allowance for recreation or discretionary spending. It'll be a tough existence in Denver if you don't have money to go enjoy yourself with.

Drive safe and enjoy your travels ....

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM

4,323 posts, read 4,008,021 times
Sounds like you have decided on Boulder. I attended college at CU-Boulder and lived on in Boulder for a few years after I graduated. Boulder is a very cool town with quite a few serious climbers residing there.

But the rental situation is bad, bad, bad. The earlier in the summer you can get out there, the better. I'm sure you've checked out the Boulder Daily Camera online. If you haven't, it's worth the price of a one month or so subscription in order to view their classifieds (can't seem 'em, unless you pay). Rent in Boulder is VERY high. Try the towns around Boulder like Lyons, Longmont, and Niwot. These places are somewhat more affordable. As others have noted, you may have to find roommates or be content with a large room or tiny apartment.

There's a lot of competition for jobs in Boulder, too. Lots of college kids who need to work their way through school and professionals who are just dying to live there.

If this sounds like I'm warning you not to come, I'm not. Boulder is a wonderful town for someone in their twenties. And if you don't try to actualize your dreams, you may regret it for the rest of your life.

Just be prepared for a few tough months once you're out here. If you can come with enough money to tide you over for rent and other living expenses for the first two months, that would really be wise.

It may not be easy at first, but it's definitely worth the early hardship. Just be prepared and it sounds like you are.

Best of luck to you in your Colorado adventure!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Drive safe and enjoy your travels ....
Thanks for the input. You've brought to light many things that I had not crossed my mind before and some that I have already accounted for. Here's what I'm thinking about the points you have made:

1) It's more like ~$50 every 3 weeks so went with $75 for the month since there is some overlap. I believe this is accurate because I am currently pretty aggressive with my gas usage. I get terrible mileage int he area because everything is stop n' go traffic and drive my car daily here. I plan on utilizing public transportation as much as possible and drive when I need to. For reference, I've put close to 20,000 miles on my car in the past 10.5 months. Recreation I will be putting off a little bit until I can get some form of semi-regular income.

2) My insurance payment is for my car alone in the state of VA. I don't use renter's insurance because I really don't have much at all. I checked with Geico and my quote would be about $20.00 in CO so went with my current payments to be on the safe side.

3) I'm really good about being tight on money when I need to as far as food goes. I tend to make all my meals and currently live off of $100.00 a month for food with a $50.00 shopping trip every 3 weeks or so.

4) I forgot about my car registration fees and such. However I will have to look into this to see if it is required right away. I though it was within 90 days of moving to CO. My plan was to find emlpoyment then switch over registration and everything after that. As for park fees, I do not plan on using them initially until I can establish some sort of steady income.

5) I am aware that it would be difficult to get a rental without a job already. I have been extremely open with all of the people I have spoken with about renting and I have been looking at sublets as well as renting a room in a home.

6) I realize that the summer time will be harder to get a job, but easier for me to find housing. However, I believe with the contacts and people I am reaching out to now as well as my experience, I should be able to find something even if it is only temp work. I currently have 2yrs experience as a Project Controller w/ a Bachelor's in Business Management. I also have a Public Trust clearance with Department of Justice and a Secret Clearance in process with Department of Defense.

7) I do not plan on needing any clothing/footwear. I am originally from NY so I have plenty of cold weather gear. I have also been planning a trip to Patagonia so all that gear will do just fine in CO.

8) I should probably factor in a buffer for unexpected expenses. I usually do most of the work on my car myself and everything is still under factory warranty so I am not overly concerned about it. It may be something to consider however.

9) I have not made an allowance for recreational and discretionary spending because I don't plan to do either of the two until I can get somewhat established. I am planning for the long run so I want to get a strong foundation before I start doing things. Yes it will probably mean no fun and lots of frustration for a few months, but I believe it will help me stay there in the long run. I will however factor in a gym membership to a climbing gym near there that is $55.00 which I forgot to include.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Also keep in mind this spreadsheet is with my current funding, NOT what I plan on having when I move out there. As I get paid the model will change. I'm planning on heading out there once I have 3-6 months of living expenses.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 3,351 times
Quote:
Also keep in mind this spreadsheet is with my current funding, NOT what I plan on having when I move out there. As I get paid the model will change. I'm planning on heading out there once I have 3-6 months of living expenses.
You have a college degree? You have 6,000 saved? You have 2 credit cards?

What are you worried about?

I moved here in 2009, I don't have a college degree, I didn't have 6,000 dollars and I have horrible credit.

What I did is I found roommates to live with.

I sold all my belongs and then got in my car and came up here. I got all my furniture from people leaving stuff on the curb and craigslist.

My car insurance is way more than $20 a month. I have full coverage, because I have a good car and couldn't afford to replace it if I wrecked it tomorrow.

I do jobs that most people hate, but make decent money.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsueo8 View Post
You have a college degree? You have 6,000 saved? You have 2 credit cards?

What are you worried about?

I moved here in 2009, I don't have a college degree, I didn't have 6,000 dollars and I have horrible credit.

What I did is I found roommates to live with.

I sold all my belongs and then got in my car and came up here. I got all my furniture from people leaving stuff on the curb and craigslist.

My car insurance is way more than $20 a month. I have full coverage, because I have a good car and couldn't afford to replace it if I wrecked it tomorrow.

I do jobs that most people hate, but make decent money.
Well right now I only have about 3,000 saved and about $5,500.00 available in credit.

I guess there comes a time where I just have to wing it. There's only so much planning I can do but I'm trying to give myself the best shot at staying there for a long while.

I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing as you, selling anything that won't fit in my car or that is useless to me now, and heading out there. Only thing is, it's a little tough to find roommates but I'm working on that.

Right now my ETD is early August I'm thinking.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM

4,323 posts, read 4,008,021 times
Quote:
Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado