U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 AM

16 posts, read 14,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'm sure in a lot of cases they do see it differently and in some cases not, they just don't know what to do next. My main point is not to pass judgment, rather that people in their 20's and 30's that dump their job and head into the unknown, have some general planning and put some thought into the future and what they want as we all have to support ourselves and our lifestyle somehow over our lifespan. A lot of things that might sound enjoyable or easy in your 20's might not be so fun at 60. I personally know a lot of people in their 60's and 70's working grueling hours in not always fun jobs due to by their own admission goofing off, not growing their skills and knowledge base, making foolish decisions, blowing money on stupid stuff and so on. And if given the choice none of them would work so much.
I like to look at it as dumping a big chunk of unhappiness rather than dumping a job. In other news there are no guarantees with this job in the near future anyways for a few reasons.
  1. The position I am in pays well but has little to no room for career advancement as well as opportunity within the department.
  2. The two projects I am responsible for end soon. One ends in September and the other in December.
  3. My company is in the process of being acquired by a larger, publicly traded company. I have been through acquisitions before and know that it is not always pretty whether or not you still have your job after it (my job/team could easily be replaced by a corporate accounting department).
So while I may not lose my job, it is by no means a very secure position right now. That's why I'd like to consider this move being proactive and taking an opportunity that I would not have otherwise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 AM

82 posts, read 177,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernjc3 View Post
I like to look at it as dumping a big chunk of unhappiness rather than dumping a job. In other news there are no guarantees with this job in the near future anyways for a few reasons.
  1. The position I am in pays well but has little to no room for career advancement as well as opportunity within the department.
  2. The two projects I am responsible for end soon. One ends in September and the other in December.
  3. My company is in the process of being acquired by a larger, publicly traded company. I have been through acquisitions before and know that it is not always pretty whether or not you still have your job after it (my job/team could easily be replaced by a corporate accounting department).
So while I may not lose my job, it is by no means a very secure position right now. That's why I'd like to consider this move being proactive and taking an opportunity that I would not have otherwise.
If that's the case, I'd wait it out until you (possibly) get laid off (or not). That way you could draw unemployment, work under-the-table in Colorado and look for a real job. By the time you go through your 26 weeks, who knows? You could have one?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM

So I am glad I started planning when I did. Today I got pulled into my bosses office and pretty much got the run down that I'll be getting the boot by July 5th at the earliest but not much later then that. She's been fishing for a way to get rid of me for a little while I feel because everyone else I work with "loves working with me" (her words not mine), but that is neither here nor there.

This week I will be talk with the Program Managers that I work with and let them in on my situation. I'm going to tell them that I am moving and that I really enjoy working with them, but my current position is just not a good fit for me. Who knows, I may be able to work remotely from CO! Regardless, I will probably be heading out west in July or the first week of August. I'm really nervous but I think I've planned as much as I can and it's time to just go for it.

Wish me luck and if anyone knows of rooms for rent or jobs that need filling, I'm open for anything!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM

808 posts, read 1,177,013 times
Moving to a new state (particularly one like Colorado) can be a bit like running a marathon. It takes a bit of crazy. You must prepare. You will suffer. People around you will make it look easy while you suffer. You will be tempted to quit. No one will blame you if you quit. When you finish you will feel great satisfaction, though few will care or understand.

If you must run, then run. If you must move, then move. You are free to do what you will, so long as you don't trample the rights of others, and you can even do that if you're sufficiently connected!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 31,443 times
I don't know who said these but a few good quotes: There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results. and People who come up with great inventions aren't smarter than average, they're more stubborn than average & hold to a plan until it matures.

hey-i moved out here almost three years ago to the date with no job and around the same $$ but a ton of bills. i met my husband...took a little while to find a job (the hubby was easier!!! ) but we make it and i'm not an optimistic person generally. we've both worked two jobs at certain points b/c trips are important to us. it's like monkey bars...meet a contact who will hook you up with another contact until you form the circle that you need. it is tough...but housing is not like DC (my hubby lived there for a long time). there is so much Sh$t to do here it's unbelievable. You can drive far or near...high or low and find trails/rocks/concerts/hidden lakes etc.

my advice
spend a few weeks doing whatever you want all over the state (since it took me 3 months...i would apply...interview...then go play) and find the place you want to be. there are many many cities that are very different
network, network, network-if you are desperate for cash go to every liquor store/bar/restaurant and work nights and leave your days free to interview
register with temp agencies (research who does federal center and d.o.e.)
GET A PHONE WITH THE AREA CODE you decide to stay in
go to meetup.com and get involved
applying online does NOT work that well here (it's a who you know community) DENVER THAT IS
you can live in a super8 with weekly or monthly rates that are pretty cheap
craigslist is HUGE in denver and surrounding
real estate agents should be able to help with a rental provided you have a good credit score (without a job)

ok i'm rambling but seriously good luck and fortune to you!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Let us know how it goes, it's actually more interesting to hear from people after they have moved and their impressions.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,284 times
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."

This quote is attributed to the infamous Chris McCandless of Krakauer's Into the Wild bio. That said, I won't romanticize the guy's philosophy too much, considering his premature death in the Alaskan wilderness. But I do think he makes a good point.... regardless of the extremes to which he took it.

Best of luck to you, Bern. I'm pulling for ya.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:31 AM

12,848 posts, read 24,501,273 times
Looking forward to hearing the reports from the ground!
Sounds like the OP has done as much due diligence as possible, given his situation. Difficult economy aside ("Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?") it sounds like it will be time to go with some good planning and groundwork.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 PM

So it's almost time!! For those that are still interested I figured I would post a small update...

Last week I put in my two-weeks notice so my last day will be July 15th. The response around my office has been surprisingly positive and I made sure to request a few reference letters from managers/coworkers while I'm fresh on their mind. I will be moving out of my current residence on July 20th and moving my stuff into my parents lake house temporarily. I've managed to find people to buy my mattress, bed frame, dresser, and some other unused odds and ends so I'm almost good-to-go. In preparation for the move I made personal business cards to give to people when I start networking out there. They're humorous and have my contact information so I figure it will be a nice way to get my name around.

I've gotten more great news and it looks like my legwork and networking has paid off. I received a call back from a place I interviewed (Canyon Country Youth Corp) per a site someone had posted earlier on in this thread. If that comes through I would be headed west in the first week of July and working with them for 12 weeks in the National Parks down south. If that doesn't work out, I've managed to get a bar tending job for the remainder of the summer to allow me to save a little bit more money before leaving at the end of August.

On top of that, I've talked to several people that believe they may have some job opportunities. One would be at Oppenheimer doing some sort of asset management, another working at a bar in Denver, and another doing work at Vail.

Needless to say, I'm very excited and can't wait to get going. Now I'm just counting down the days!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM

463 posts, read 943,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernjc3 View Post
I am also saving for a big trip to Patagonia next year but most of that has already been planned/saved for. I'm will cancel that trip should I need to tap into that money because this move is really important to me. I really want to make it work.

I used to live in South America. Go to Patagonia. Try to squeeze in side trips to Cuzco (and the Inca Trail to MP) and the Galapagos as well. Denver isn't going anywhere. If you move to Colorado it will be a struggle and there's no way you'll be able to afford a vacation in South America. Do it. Go. I guarantee that you will not regret it. Best Wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado