Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,302 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I'm a native of Colorado and lived there all of my life. Just recently we relocated to Houston for my wife's job. Well, we've been down here since the first of the year, which I know isn't a very long time, but at this point, I'm done and I want to come home.....

There is nothing wrong with Texas exactly, nothing that makes it a bad place, but I can personally attest to the idea of Houston having a lower cost of living than most of Colorado is totally and utterly false. Plus, it's just so BIG, you can't easily escape it......

Sadly, we have to stay for a full year........

Worse still, I'm not sure my wife is really going to want to come back...

So, my questions are:

If you ever left Colorado, why did you leave?

Why did you regret having left?

Why did you come back?

How long were you gone?

Oh, one final note..... I repent of my desire to never see snow again.. Sure, snow sucks, but it's a small price to pay......

Old 04-26-2011, 03:20 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,163 times
left and came back left again-both time for Montana-both times for my Wife's job

Doesn't hurt so bad to be in MT-but I do miss the sunshine, red rocks, 4Corners, 14teeners

CO to Houston would be rather rough I suppose

Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM

168 posts, read 381,338 times
Oh, heck yes....I'm the poster child for this subject.....

I was there 3 times and left....people were tired of me whining about getting back here, especially between the last time leaving and finally getting back there....

However, since each of those 3 times happened in different decades it provided me with a real eye opener as to how fast CO was changing.....(and not always in good ways)......I don't quite know what to think about that, other than maybe sadness.....Each time I left, it was to go to a more congested city or to another place no where near as beautiful as CO is....--- I always have to laugh at the places that swear they are so much better/prettier/whatever than CO is (Lake Tahoe, for example), not even close in comparison to what CO has going on.....

I have learned my lesson about trying to leave, and may moved around within the state until I figure it out, but that's as far as I plan on going from now on.....

Last edited by naturegirll; 04-26-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
I lived briefly in the Denver/Bouilder area in the early 70s, and I've been back in Colorado again since 2006. When I left Boulder in '72 I was leaving to go to the great state of Alaska...full of excitement. I have never regretted leaving Colorado. Nonetherless it is good to be back again!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
We moved from Basalt to Houston, I feel your pain. Finally made it back to the mountains and Vail has an epic snowfall winter, shoveling was a little harsh this year.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
I'm a CO native who has lived in 3 other states as well. Colorado isn't the end all be all of all states. Sometimes I wonder if I'm in the right place and dream of moving to NM or back to AZ. There are many great places to live outside of Colorado-- just that Houston ain't one of them. For you, it's not just that you left the state, you left the entire mountain west region.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
I actually feel more at home in Colorado than where I'm at now.
Get a load coming up here and always ignore the Qualcomm messages the first couple of times after dropping to delay getting sent back west.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,028 times
I moved to Colorado almost 5 years ago from Oklahoma.

In August, I left CO to attend the University of Oklahoma.

I have been accepted into CU Boulder and will be transferring there starting in the fall.

I have less than 3 weeks left here, and then I'm back for good. I can't wait.

I used to like Oklahoma, but that was BEFORE I moved to Colorado. Then I realized how crappy it is down here. It's not just that it's Colorado, it's that -like someone else said- it's the Mountain West region. The whole place is just fantastic, and I regret leaving it.

However, I was part of the marching band down here and it was awesome to be able to attend all of the games during our incredible football season!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
My family moved to Colorado in the late 1980s from Los Angeles. We lived in Trinidad. Throughout my teenage years I hated Trinidad itself, but really grew to like the surrounding countryside, as well as cities like Colorado Springs and Denver.

In 1999 I joined the Marines. I didn't regret leaving Colorado because I knew I was making the right decision, but at the same time, it was only after leaving that I realized how much more I liked Colorado than anywhere else. I did a tour in Japan and San Diego before applying to an officer program which eventually placed me attending CU-Boulder while still on active duty and drawing full pay and benefits!

While attending CU I got married the semester I graduated. My wife was born and raised in Colorado. When I graduated, it was off to Quantico, VA (just south of D.C.) for us, and we missed Colorado terribly. From there it was San Diego, CA and we still missed Colorado terribly. Now I am attending the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. This is a fantastic area, but I still miss Colorado terribly.

So much can change between now and then, but I plan on moving back to Colorado once I retire from the Marines. I've enjoyed being in the places I've been. Who can complain about San Diego or Monterey? It's not that I don't like those places, it's just that I like Colorado more.

Sorry for the biography.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times
I moved to CO in 1972 after my sophomore year in college back east. My father was transferred here with the Johns-Manville Corp. I lived in Littleton, Centenniel and Divide (from 1975-2010). My husband died in October 2009, and I had to sell our house in Divide for financial reasons and move to our condo in Tucson. I look at the Ute Pass Cams from Woodland Park several times a day (it was snowing this evening), read the Pikes Peak Courier View online, the Gazette online, get email updates from KKTV, and KCNC in Denver. I still own land in Teller County, and have family in Denver, so I left, but I didn't really leave. I couldn't live back in Teller County again for emotional reasons, but I miss Pikes Peak, the stars, the country, open space. Being in a condo complex, even in a city with light restrictions at night (Kitt Peak Observatory demands no light pollution), isn't the same as standing on your deck, seeing the light on the summit of Pikes Peak, feeling the fresh, cool mountain air and hearing coyotes. It's in the 70's still as I write this at 11:00 p.m. and I have the AC on. But, I do have mountains, sort of. I like the mild winters, and the trees in bloom year round, growing veggies in February and having flowers bloom year round, but sometimes the summer can be brutal when it's 105 outside. There's good and bad about both places, but I'm glad I can still go back and forth.

Houston would be like a whole 'nother planet!!! No thanks! At least the heat in Tucson is a dry heat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado