U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 13,372 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move with my family from Plano Tx to buy a family home in either Westminster or Colorado Springs. What are your opinions on these places ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:19 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
How did you choose these two? Where will you be working? It will make a big difference as COS is southern Colorado and Westminster is one of the northern suburbs of Denver.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM

Since I work from home it's not a problem for me commuting to and from anywhere. I'm more looking for a safe and nice place for my family I have children aged between 16-23, obviously they'll be looking to work soon (office work).

Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

84,961 posts, read 98,795,031 times
OK, now that I know a little more I can tell you a few things. COS is a city; Westminster is a suburb. That said, there is probably more available in the way of jobs, restaurants, shopping, etc in Westy than in COS. I assume the youngest of your kids will be going to high school. I don't know much about the high schools in COS; my nephew went to Doherty HS down there. He seemed to do OK; got a Master's in business from CU. There are several high schools in Westminster, all are OK as far as I know. Each area has its pros and cons; I don't think there is anything seriously wrong about either place.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
Westminster is a City that has great family stuff, and is very accessable for stuff that your kids would most likely like. The highschools are pretty good there. I happened to graduate from Standley Lake High way back in the day in Westminster. Great place to grow up.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
Mike - the mod - started a very informative thread on C Springs.

Why Choose Colorado Springs?

Having lived in the Denver area, I think it's a matter of preference as to what things you desire in a community. C Springs and surrounding have excellent schools, we are closer to the mountains, housing is affordable and we're a hop, skip and a jump to Denver Metro for those things you just can't get down here - which isn't much anymore but very high end shopping and major league sports.

Eh, go check out the thread and see if there's anything to ask there that may or may not have been addressed for your specific needs.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks Guys for all the info. Mikey you should be voted for the Mare of Colorado Springs.
I am still little a bit concerned about various poll forecasts for crimes such as rape and theaft in Colorado Springs which are way above the national average. Any feed back on this as I have three daughters.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph55 View Post
Thanks Guys for all the info. Mikey you should be voted for the Mare of Colorado Springs.
I am still little a bit concerned about various poll forecasts for crimes such as rape and theaft in Colorado Springs which are way above the national average. Any feed back on this as I have three daughters.
I seriously doubt that about Colorado Springs. Our crime rate in Denver is much higher than Colorado Springs, and Denver is considered nationally to be a low-crime city. Also, in Colorado Springs, most of the crime happens on the southeast side of the city. Avoid that area and the remaining areas are by comparison crime free.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
As tfox said, most major crime happens in the southeast quadrant of C Springs.

I live in Briargate and have for 9 years this month. We've had a couple of minor break-ins in the 9 years I have been here (same house) but we suspect they were by people that knew the people which is pretty typical.

I once owned a house on Monument St. just a block west from I-25 and while it's a pretty low income area, when I lived there is was a nice neighborhood with people that cared about their nieghbors. Given the income of the area, there was minor trouble but I never felt unsafe.

As a single woman, I don't feel unsafe here at all. I have been known to go to the grocery store at 3:00 am (I work goofy hours) and not felt unsafe.

Anyhow, C Springs is where I was born and raised. Left for Grand Junction then to Denver and now I am back. I have two nieces and two nephews and the oldest niece is 17 who works for a local restaurant and ends up closing down with a friend of hers which is pretty late at night. She's never felt unsafe either.

Anyhow, I think it's a fine place to raise a family and it really is a family oriented city.

Denver Metro has the same problems as C Springs and in fact, C Springs made Money's Top Ten last year:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~niki1968/images/cspringstopten.jpg (broken link)

Yes I have a screen shot.

Hope it's okay to post that. If not, if a mod doesn't like it, please just link to it instead of taking it out completely? That is on my webspace so there's no bandwidth issues. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph55 View Post
Thanks Guys for all the info. Mikey you should be voted for the Mare of Colorado Springs. I am still little a bit concerned about various poll forecasts for crimes such as rape and theaft in Colorado Springs which are way above the national average. Any feed back on this as I have three daughters.
Joe, thanks for the kind words, but please, I don't wanna be the mare (female horse) of COL SPGS.

I'd be Mayor if we could do away with all the politics involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or